Tilly's Great Hawaiian Adventure

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Tilly's Great Hawaiian Adventure

Post by TillyGalore » April 16th, 2009, 2:05 pm

As most of you know I'll be vacationing in Hawaii in a few weeks. What I haven't shared with everyone, as it wasn't official until a few minutes ago, is I will be swimming with sharks the morning of Saturday, May 2nd. Actually, I'll be in a cage and they will be swimming around me. :( But, we will be in the water together. :D

The company I'm doing this with makes a DVD of your adventure, which I can post on you tube. Will do so when I'm back on the mainland after May 11th.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Tilly's Great Hawaiian Adventure

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 16th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Awesome. If you have a cage malfunction and they eat you alive, let us know if how it was and if it would have been better to have been eaten by lions.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 16th, 2009, 2:25 pm

They won't let me touch the sharks as it's "dangerous." I think it would be a cool story to explain why my hand/arm/leg is all mangled.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 16th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Have fun, Tilly, but try to stay safe. And post us a message from paradise afterward so we all know you're still whole!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 17th, 2009, 8:47 am

Two weeks from today (May 1st) I'll be taking the Home of the Brave tour of Pearl Harbor and other WWII landmarks. http://www.pearlharborhq.com/reservations.html
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2009, 11:29 pm

You are going to have the BEST time! Take lots of pictures!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm

Tilly - I know you're going to have a blast! I can't wait to see the PICs and the YouTube video! :ymhug:
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 22nd, 2009, 3:05 pm

I know you will have a great time. Hope to go someday. The hark thing sounds exciting. See and do all you can. Nancy :-bd
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 22nd, 2009, 10:27 pm

Be sure to tour the USS Missouri. I didn't see it on your list. It's worth any extra charge. My brother used to be a guide on board. When he passed away the remaining guide crew flew a flag on mast and sent it to us. Great ship, great people.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 23rd, 2009, 1:31 pm

captmojo wrote:Be sure to tour the USS Missouri. I didn't see it on your list. It's worth any extra charge. My brother used to be a guide on board. When he passed away the remaining guide crew flew a flag on mast and sent it to us. Great ship, great people.
Kind of bummed the USS Missouri isn't on the tour. Will see if I can make it over there after the tour.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » April 23rd, 2009, 9:40 pm

How do you plan on getting around while you're there?
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 23rd, 2009, 9:45 pm

captmojo wrote:How do you plan on getting around while you're there?
My parents are renting a car so I'm kind of at their mercy. Not sure what they are going to do while I'm on my tour. Jeepers, 41 years old and I have to ask to borrow the car. :ymsigh:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » April 23rd, 2009, 10:06 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
captmojo wrote:How do you plan on getting around while you're there?
My parents are renting a car so I'm kind of at their mercy. Not sure what they are going to do while I'm on my tour. Jeepers, 41 years old and I have to ask to borrow the car. :ymsigh:
You can be known as a tourist, if you get a convertible. Avoid it. They aren't bad as long as you're moving. If you are in stop-n-go traffic, prepare well for sunburn. :oops: (it says embarrassed, but it turns red)
A car rental is good. It gives you the chance to get out and away from the crowds and really see the island. If you do nothing else away from the masses, drive up to Sunset Beach and watch the sunset as it falls into the ocean. You will understand why it was named Sunset. Get there early enough in the day to see the waves crashing on the "Pipeline".This isn't peak wave time but it's high enough to get an idea. Winter has the higher waves. These things crash right on the shore, in the rocks. People ride them. :o How they survive is another amazement. While at Sunset, in town (ain't much, just a couple of stores) high up on top of the hill, inland from the beach, that's Elvis' house up there. It doesn't look like much but it was his.

On any day you don't have personal transport, "The Bus" cost $1.00. At least that was the going rate when I was last there, 2001.

Oh yeah!!! Make sure you get a good map! Stay off H1 into the city-rush hour am and out pm. That traffic is horrific. :-t
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 27th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Not sure if this is worth anything, but it was online in the LA Times today.

Article
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 27th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Sue71 wrote:Not sure if this is worth anything, but it was online in the LA Times today.

Article
Thank you for the info on Oahu Sue and CaptMojo. We're not going to be there for very long, arrive Thursday and leave Saturday afternoon. We have our schedules pretty well packed for the time we are there, then it's off to the big island. Kind of bummed I'm going to miss the Banzai pipeline, and the sunset from Sunset Beach. Hopefully will get another chance to go to Oahu.

On the big island we are going to go volcano hunting, horseback riding, perhaps spend a day driving around the island, and possibly windsurfing and/or snorkeling. Whew! Lots to do, but I'm looking forward to every minute in paradise. :D :D :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 27th, 2009, 2:48 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Not sure if this is worth anything, but it was online in the LA Times today.

Article
Thank you for the info on Oahu Sue and CaptMojo. We're not going to be there for very long, arrive Thursday and leave Saturday afternoon. We have our schedules pretty well packed for the time we are there, then it's off to the big island. Kind of bummed I'm going to miss the Banzai pipeline, and the sunset from Sunset Beach. Hopefully will get another chance to go to Oahu.

On the big island we are going to go volcano hunting, horseback riding, perhaps spend a day driving around the island, and possibly windsurfing and/or snorkeling. Whew! Lots to do, but I'm looking forward to every minute in paradise. :D :D :D
Tilly - Oahu has alot of the same activities that you'll be experiencing on the big island (less maybe the active volcano's!). What is cool about that is when you return to Oahu, you'll have a basis of comparison for snorkeling, sunsets, food, horseback riding, pipeline surf, etc.... not to mention the pineapple trees! :D
captmojo

Post by captmojo » April 27th, 2009, 7:35 pm

cl15876 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

Article

Tilly - Oahu has alot of the same activities that you'll be experiencing on the big island (less maybe the active volcano's!). What is cool about that is when you return to Oahu, you'll have a basis of comparison for snorkeling, sunsets, food, horseback riding, pipeline surf, etc.... not to mention the pineapple trees! :D
...and if you like pineapple as much as I do, Hawaiian is the best. No question, hands down. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 29th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Hey all, Tilly leaves tonight! Have a great time! :ymparty:
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 29th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Sue71 wrote:Hey all, Tilly leaves tonight! Have a great time! :ymparty:
Thank you Sue. Will try to post my adventures as they happen. :D :D

Hugs to all my friends. :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
hibiscus.gif
hibiscus.gif (16.87 KiB) Viewed 609 times
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Make sure you book one of the three hour tours. It says free lunch.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.