Halloween

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Halloween

Post by windsor » October 6th, 2009, 5:27 pm

I love Halloween...sitting on the porch, handing out candy (and beer to the adults). I usually carve up a couple of pretty fancy pumpkins (I didn't last year because I was sick and about every third person wanted to know what happened - they look forward to them)

As a bonus this year we have smilies !!

:hobgoblin: :slimer: :BooGhost: :cat: :skull: (~~)

last year I went to work dressed as a :Ult Ninja:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » October 7th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I CAN'T WAIT FOR HALLOWEEN!!!!
We might have a pumpkin carving contest before the homecoming game (at the Caruso Crazies Cookout :D - sweet name, huh?). And I'm really pushing for a haunted house located inside the school. :)
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 7th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Although I don't know what I'm going to dress up as...
I'm not to old am I? :ymhug:
Class of 2014
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 7th, 2009, 7:45 pm

CellR wrote:Although I don't know what I'm going to dress up as...
Na, your way not tooooo old. I know because I'm not to old to dress up for Halloween. (~~) (~~) ;) :)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 7th, 2009, 9:15 pm

cl15876 wrote:don't bite me there!!!! :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :p
Close! The towel says, "Bite me!" =)) =)) =))
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 8th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Holy bejabbers, is my costume gonna be killer. Mom has officially agreed to make my pirate coat.
I went and bought the pattern, fabric, trim, etc. today. I got to the specialty fabric place my mother recommended, and the best thing i could find was the last two yards of brillant red Pendleton wool (for the uninitiated, that's really high quality worsted wool). For the lapels, cuffs, and trim, I selected a black wool with a subtle herringbone weave. There will be gold rickrack trim and, because I obviously couldn't resist, anchor buttons.
To top it all off, my coat will have a gold paisley lining. It's seriously gonna be amazing, at exactly the same cost as the flimsy, cheaply made polyester coat at the seasonal Halloween store. I plan to wear this sucker for years to come.
And obviously, pics are forthcoming in a couple of weeks.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 9th, 2009, 1:36 am

Pendleton wool? That sucker's gonna last forever. (You do have to take a little bit of special care with it. When you pack it away, do it carefully, and think about moths, they love a nice Pendleton.)

So, do you want the socks or not?
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 9th, 2009, 7:19 am

I got a pretty good costume a few years ago, and I just wear it every year. My wife bought me an Incredibles t-shirt with the big I on it. I wear that with tight black sweats, combat boots, and a little black mask. I dye my hair blonde (unfortunately, it usually turns kind of orange... anybody know how to prevent that without spending an arm and a leg?)

As a big guy that's got a lot of muscle and some fat, Mr. Incredible is the perfect costume for me. I even do the voice. I watch the movie a few days before every year to get the voice and mannerisms down. I've gotten a lot of compliments.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 9th, 2009, 9:19 am

Bostondevil wrote:Pendleton wool? That sucker's gonna last forever. (You do have to take a little bit of special care with it. When you pack it away, do it carefully, and think about moths, they love a nice Pendleton.)

You can totally knit me some socks, but I'd rather have the scarf I won for pointing out your new sig first. ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 9th, 2009, 10:10 am

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: We need a ghost icon. Too bad Santa only comes once a year.
(He blames mrs. clause)
We need some Muppet smileys too.
You're not looking carefully.
:CookieMonster:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 9th, 2009, 11:57 am

wilson wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Pendleton wool? That sucker's gonna last forever. (You do have to take a little bit of special care with it. When you pack it away, do it carefully, and think about moths, they love a nice Pendleton.)

You can totally knit me some socks, but I'd rather have the scarf I won for pointing out your new sig first. ;)
Don't worry, you're getting it. I can't wait to finish something so I can start on it. I have the perfect scarf in mind. I know you'll love it. (And if you don't, lie and say that you do cause I'll never know if you wear it or not.) We can talk about the socks later.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 9th, 2009, 5:57 pm

CellR wrote:Although I don't know what I'm going to dress up as...
You're not too old.

Suggestion: dress in blue and stick cotton balls to your clothing to resemble clouds and carry a squirt gun. When someone asks what you are, squirt them and then announce that you are partly cloudy with a chance of rain.

Or you can go in regular clothes and carry a small toy plane (nice fighter jet - Navy version, of course, would be best). When asked what you are, hold your hand out flat in front of you and put the plane on it. You are an aircraft carrier.
Life is good!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm

My feeling is, as long as you are willing to dress up in a costume, I will give you candy. Now, a 60-something trick-or-treating by themselves would be weird, but if you've got kids with you and you're wearing a costume, I'm good.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 9th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Bostondevil wrote:My feeling is, as long as you are willing to dress up in a costume, I will give you candy. Now, a 60-something trick-or-treating by themselves would be weird, but if you've got kids with you and you're wearing a costume, I'm good.
Any costume? :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 10th, 2009, 12:01 am

cl15876 wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:My feeling is, as long as you are willing to dress up in a costume, I will give you candy. Now, a 60-something trick-or-treating by themselves would be weird, but if you've got kids with you and you're wearing a costume, I'm good.
Any costume? :D
Yea, 8-x . Ya gotta wear (or where :)) =)) ) somethin'... :roll:
Trick or beer? :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Hancock4Duke
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by Hancock4Duke » October 10th, 2009, 12:05 am

This is my costume; an inflatable bullrider. (notice the shirt says "Durham, N.C." and on the back it reads "Basketball is better in Durham")
Oh, Zeller wishes he could be as good as Zoubek.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2009, 1:04 am

Hancock4Duke wrote:Image

This is my costume; an inflatable bullrider. (notice the shirt says "Durham, N.C." and on the back it reads "Basketball is better in Durham")
HA! =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 10th, 2009, 7:08 am

My parents got a young married coupled dressed as cat woman and something else (can't remember). They were probably in their late 20s. They were from Paris on vacation, and had just wanted to see what all the rage was about. Apparently, they don't trick or treat in France. Just one more reason to hate that place. They did NOT have any children with them.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 10th, 2009, 8:49 am

bjornolf wrote:
My parents got a young married coupled dressed as cat woman and something else (can't remember). They were probably in their late 20s. They were from Paris on vacation, and had just wanted to see what all the rage was about. Apparently, they don't trick or treat in France. Just one more reason to hate that place. They did NOT have any children with them.

%%-
Did you parents give them any candy?
sMiles
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 10th, 2009, 10:02 am

I would have given them candy! That's a great story. And some French people have a sense of humor! Who knew!