Duke Football 2024 - Diaz Dawning

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Duke Football 2024 - Diaz Dawning

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 25th, 2023, 11:42 pm

Kicking off this thread as a holiday present to us all. The bowl is over, Duke ended 8-5 on a season that was tough sell for victories before September.
So, in hindsight, thanks to those that made amazing things happen, and in foresight, bring on some more! :happy-bouncyblue:

Obviously, we've got a new coach, which likely means new lots of things. New players, new staff, new game plan. I'm excited though. Coach Manny has already pulled a rabbit out of his hat with incoming QB Maalik Murphy. While I hope of course that he is in competition with Loftis and nothing was given, just seeing that such a prized transfer is coming to Duke is huge.
Last year this thread had this comment early from Bob.
Bob Green wrote:
January 15th, 2023, 5:41 am
Incoming transfers:

Cornerbacks: Myles Jones, Al Blades
Offensive Lineman: Dan Volpe, Dustyn Hall, Jake Hornibrook, Michael Purcell, Ben Hoitink
Those guys worked out pretty well I think! There is still time for some of ours to announce they are leaving, but I'm excited to see who Diaz brings in. Also, overall, this team showed sticking together is important to them, not only in the locker room, but in the offices, so I'm crossing fingers that every coach gets their fair shake at an interview.

Last season and the one before the Spring game was announced towards the end of January, so we're likely only a month out from knowing that bit of news.
:happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Duke Football 2024 - Diaz Dawning

Post by Bob Green » December 26th, 2023, 6:30 am

My transfer (incoming) desires:

1. Talented players regardless of position. Folks who can make a difference.
2. Linemen both OL and DL
3.Wide receiver.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 26th, 2023, 9:44 am

We should have a good better idea of coaching changes this week. I'm expecting a lot of new names.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 26th, 2023, 10:22 am

Jonathan Brewer, the former OC at SMU, has updated his Twitter, uh, X profile with a pic of Wally Wade and the line "Offensive Coordinator/QBs-Duke University." :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2023, 3:42 pm

Thanks for starting this, Chris, and also to Bob and lawgrad for their thoughts. Really looking for some action this week WRT players and staff. Big losses by weight, depth and experience on both lines and really looking forward to see what Diaz does to restock the cupboard.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 26th, 2023, 5:03 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 10:22 am
Jonathan Brewer, the former OC at SMU, has updated his Twitter, uh, X profile with a pic of Wally Wade and the line "Offensive Coordinator/QBs-Duke University." :9f:
https://goduke.com/news/2023/12/26/foot ... nator.aspx

It is official.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Bob might be yelling Run The Ball to deaf ears next season. Everyone brought in so far has made a strong passing game a major staple of their offenses. Thankfully, they've been successful in doing it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 26th, 2023, 8:38 pm

Jeff Norrid has been hired as the OL coach. Lots of history in big name programs with lots of success.
Norrid brings over 20 years of coaching experience to Durham, including 10-plus years spent in the Southeastern Conference under Lane Kiffin, Guz Malzahn, Houston Nutt, and Nick Saban. Norrid's resume includes three BCS National Championships, three SEC Championships, a Conference USA Championship, and a Sun Belt Conference Championship.
https://goduke.com/news/2023/12/26/foot ... line-coach
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 26th, 2023, 9:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm
Bob might be yelling Run The Ball to deaf ears next season.
I’ll keep yelling it! :D
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 26th, 2023, 9:10 pm

December 26th, 2023, 8:38 pm
Jeff Norrid has been hired as the OL coach. Lots of history in big name programs with lots of success.
Sounds like another good addition to the staff.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 27th, 2023, 6:39 am

Bob Green wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 9:07 pm
December 26th, 2023, 8:30 pm
Bob might be yelling Run The Ball to deaf ears next season.
I’ll keep yelling it! :D
Nothing wrong with a good running game. Opens up the field for the passing game.

I’m excited for the new staff that is being assembled. What stands out to me is that Coach Diaz is bringing in a lot of guys he’s worked with before. Shades of David Cutcliffe. I think it speaks well of Coach Diaz that these guys want to work with him again. Time will reveal.

I’m also sad to see Trooper Taylor go. He has earned the huge bump in salary I assume he’s getting. Though he’s leaving for greener pastures, he did it in a far classier way than the former coach did. So very grateful for the way he led the team to a bowl game victory. I hope he got whatever bonus TFC would’ve gotten.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » December 27th, 2023, 9:08 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
December 27th, 2023, 6:39 am
I’m also sad to see Trooper Taylor go. He has earned the huge bump in salary I assume he’s getting. Though he’s leaving for greener pastures, he did it in a far classier way than the former coach did. So very grateful for the way he led the team to a bowl game victory. I hope he got whatever bonus TFC would’ve gotten.
Has this been confirmed? I know before the bowl game, it was reported out, but Trooper and Nina both denied it. I haven't seen anything since the bowl game that definitely confirms the move. That speech at the bowl game didn't really sound like someone with a foot out the door, but then, Elko didn't sound that way, either, until he was already disembarking in Texas. I've been assuming he'll go, but I guess I still have hope.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 27th, 2023, 9:54 am

Jonathan Patke is being hired as our new DC. He might be a bit tired right now, as he was coaching his Texas State team last night in their victory over Rice.
Texas State entered the day No. 1 overall in the country in tackles for loss, averaging 8.5 per game. That statistic offers a window into the aggression that Duke will play with on defense. Diaz came from his job coordinating the defense at Penn State, which ranked No. 2 nationally behind Texas State in TFLs in 2023.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... dc-sources
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 27th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
December 27th, 2023, 9:08 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
Has this been confirmed? I know before the bowl game, it was reported out, but Trooper and Nina both denied it. I haven't seen anything since the bowl game that definitely confirms the move. That speech at the bowl game didn't really sound like someone with a foot out the door, but then, Elko didn't sound that way, either, until he was already disembarking in Texas. I've been assuming he'll go, but I guess I still have hope.
It’s mentioned here: https://saturdayroad.com/acc/duke-foot ... -troy/amp/
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 27th, 2023, 5:49 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
December 27th, 2023, 9:08 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
Before the bowl game, I'd heard/read that he was headed to join Midnight Mike, then that was squelched. Folks who listened to the post-bowl speech got mixed signals. I spoke with Nina briefly at a sports bar after the Duke FB radio show and asked her if Trooper was staying and got a "it's not been determined/decided yet" answer. :-w :-?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 28th, 2023, 12:50 pm

New tight ends coach, Justin Watts, via Appalachian State.
Last season, Watts helped the Mountaineers to a 9-5 overall record, a Sun Belt East Division title, an appearance in the conference championship game and a 13-9 victory over Miami (Ohio) in the Avocados from Mexico Cure Bowl. Additionally, his tight ends unit recorded 53 receptions for 523 yards (9.87) with eight touchdowns. Under Watt’s guidance, Eli Wilson tied for second among Sun Belt tight ends with 29 receptions and five touchdown catches during the regular season, while also ranking third in receiving yards with 306.
https://goduke.com/sports/football/rost ... watts/4772
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 28th, 2023, 5:19 pm

December 28th, 2023, 12:50 pm
New tight ends coach, Justin Watts, via Appalachian State.
Last season, Watts helped the Mountaineers to a 9-5 overall record, a Sun Belt East Division title, an appearance in the conference championship game and a 13-9 victory over Miami (Ohio) in the Avocados from Mexico Cure Bowl. Additionally, his tight ends unit recorded 53 receptions for 523 yards (9.87) with eight touchdowns. Under Watt’s guidance, Eli Wilson tied for second among Sun Belt tight ends with 29 receptions and five touchdown catches during the regular season, while also ranking third in receiving yards with 306.
https://goduke.com/sports/football/rost ... watts/4772
Impressive bio. I'm starting to get a bit anxious about filling the roster with some portal transfers. :-s :-ss
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 28th, 2023, 5:28 pm

devildeac wrote:
December 28th, 2023, 5:19 pm
Impressive bio. I'm starting to get a bit anxious about filling the roster with some portal transfers. :-s :-ss
I'm not worried. Diaz is building an enticing staff, and names are still entering the portal. Murphy is a good sign that things aren't dim for Duke.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 29th, 2023, 5:06 pm

Trooper Taylor is officially off to TA&M, and so Manny is trying to hire his replacement.

His target is a current HC as his running backs coach; that's a twist. Duke is trying to lure Willie Simmons away from Florida A&M.
New Duke head coach Manny Diaz has offered Florida A&M head coach Willie Simmons his running backs coach job in Durham, FootballScoop sources can confirm.

However, sources told FootballScoop Friday that Florida A&M has asked Simmons for the weekend to put together a contract competitive enough to keep him.
https://footballscoop.com/news/update-o ... florida-am

This tells me that keeping Trooper as the RB coach was very much an option, and it makes me happy knowing that Duke likely tried.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 29th, 2023, 5:48 pm

:9f: At least Trooper Taylor didn’t sneak off at midnight. I wish him well, but I wouldn’t spit on his HC if he were aflame.
Iron Duke #1471997.