The ACC Grows to 18 Schools

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

The ACC Grows to 18 Schools

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2023, 9:52 am

The conference has voted to invite Stanford, Cal, and SMU, bringing us to 18 teams in all sports except football. (Whatever, Irish)

Voting against were Clemson, FuSU, and the cheats.

Awhom will now get to watch Duke football in person without leaving the state of California.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: The ACC Grows to 18 Schools

Post by Bob Green » September 1st, 2023, 1:22 pm

Expansion is better than the ACC breaking up but I’m still not happy about the Big East schools being added now we have Texans and Californians to deal with.

Whatever.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 1st, 2023, 1:30 pm

I miss the old ACC from the 60s and 70s and the days of true student athletes. Oh well. At least we still exist. Go, Duke!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2023, 2:54 pm

I'll take napping so I can watch a midnight game over being left out in the cold like Stanford and Cal almost were. (And Oregon State still is.)
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 1st, 2023, 3:17 pm

I’m interested in hearing how the new schools impact scheduling. Will we play more conference games In football?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 1st, 2023, 4:46 pm

Bob Green wrote:
September 1st, 2023, 3:17 pm
I’m interested in hearing how the new schools impact scheduling. Will we play more conference games In football?
I wonder with ALL of the conference realignment, at some point if another game will be added to the FBS collegiate schedule across the board.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 1st, 2023, 9:58 pm

It makes absolutely zero sense to add schools in CA and TX. That decision is all about $$ with zero consideration of the student athletes who have to fly across the country for games.
I hate to say it, but I agree with those who voted against adding these teams.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 21st, 2023, 1:59 pm

Buckle up.
Florida State is expected to soon start the process of its long-discussed divorce from the ACC, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.

The Seminoles’ conference affiliation is at the center of a scheduled meeting Friday of the FSU Board of Trustees, and the result of the meeting could produce a formal legal filing in what many describe as the first step to achieving an exit from the ACC’s binding grant-of-rights agreement.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sources-fl ... 50710.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 22nd, 2023, 11:31 am

FSU sues to GTFO.
The Florida State board of trustees voted unanimously Friday to file suit against the ACC to challenge the legality of both the league's grant of rights and $130 million withdrawal fee, a necessary first step to plot its future and potential exit from the conference.

"I believe this board has been left no choice but to challenge the legitimacy of the ACC grant of rights and its severe withdrawal penalties," board chairman Peter Collins said. "None of us like being in this position. However, I believe that we have exhausted all possible remedies within the conference and we must do what we believe is best for Florida State not only in the short term, but in the long term."
They highlight 7 points of contention, one of which is that the GOR and exit fees aren't even enforceable.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... drawal-fee
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » December 23rd, 2023, 11:46 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 11:31 am
FSU sues to GTFO.
The Florida State board of trustees voted unanimously Friday to file suit against the ACC to challenge the legality of both the league's grant of rights and $130 million withdrawal fee, a necessary first step to plot its future and potential exit from the conference.

"I believe this board has been left no choice but to challenge the legitimacy of the ACC grant of rights and its severe withdrawal penalties," board chairman Peter Collins said. "None of us like being in this position. However, I believe that we have exhausted all possible remedies within the conference and we must do what we believe is best for Florida State not only in the short term, but in the long term."
They highlight 7 points of contention, one of which is that the GOR and exit fees aren't even enforceable.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... drawal-fee
The interesting ones to me are the fraud and by-laws problem. If they can prove either of those, the conference is pretty much done, as the whole agreement will be void. I don't know how convincingly they can make those arguments, but if they land, they will be fatal.