The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 22nd, 2021, 8:50 pm

Dems are telling McConnell to go take a flying leap on his demands of protecting the filibuster.
McConnell has publicly and privately pressed Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to work to keep the 60-vote threshold on most legislation as part of their power-sharing agreement. Democrats have no plans to gut the filibuster further, but argue it would be a mistake to take one of their tools off the table just as they're about to govern.

Many Democrats argue that having the threat of targeting the filibuster will be key to forcing compromise with reluctant Republicans. They also believe it would show weakness to accede to McConnell’s demand as he’s relegated to minority leader.
With the filibuster in play, the Senate won't get squat done, guaranteed, for the next two years. As long as their is a supermajority requirement, an "even" Senate is anything but since the days of across aisle co-operation are long gone. Take it away, and the possibility of actual compromise comes back into play.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-po ... 04912.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » January 23rd, 2021, 9:48 am

Former President Trump sought to oust his acting attorney general in a bid to overturn the presidential election results in Georgia, according to a new bombshell report in The New York Times.

Trump reportedly planned to replace then-acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen with Jeffrey Clark, a lawyer at the Justice Department, in an effort to apply pressure to Georgia politicians to overturn the results of the race there. Rosen had refused to back Trump’s disputed claims that voter fraud had cost him the election, drawing the president’s ire.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... on-results

This will not help Trump impeachment defense. I wonder if we will see other examples of this come out before the trial starts? If he was pressuring Georgia he must have been doing the same in other states surely?
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 23rd, 2021, 12:09 pm

Furniture wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 9:48 am
This will not help Trump impeachment defense. I wonder if we will see other examples of this come out before the trial starts? If he was pressuring Georgia he must have been doing the same in other states surely?
I'm guessing yes. Stealing GA doesn't do him any good unless he gets the other states as well. There is less incentive for others to stay silent now.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 24th, 2021, 8:04 am

His defense is going to be that he’s out of office so it’s unconstitutional to impeach. Republicans seem to be buying into it. If they do let him off, I’d like to see FBI agents waiting for him with handcuffs.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 24th, 2021, 9:49 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 8:04 am
His defense is going to be that he’s out of office so it’s unconstitutional to impeach. Republicans seem to be buying into it. If they do let him off, I’d like to see FBI agents waiting for him with handcuffs.
There is nothing preventing him from being impeached and convicted/acquitted AND charged with other related federal crimes related to the riots. The Senate "court" is not the same as a judiciary court. The Senate is much more a court of public opinion, which is why is first impeachment (and likely this one too) was such a joke.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 24th, 2021, 9:58 am

I love the common sense behind this.
Arizona flips blue in the POTUS race, so the answer from the state GOP isn't to look inward and ponder changes, but to dig in, reclaim their loyalty to Trump, and censure high level politicians, including their current Republican Senator and Governor.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-repu ... 35356.html
Furniture

Post by Furniture » January 24th, 2021, 11:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 9:58 am
Arizona flips blue in the POTUS race, so the answer from the state GOP isn't to look inward and ponder changes, but to dig in, reclaim their loyalty to Trump, and censure high level politicians, including their current Republican Senator and Governor.

Republicans attitude to tRumps insurrection and impeachment is not only disgusting and disheartening I just don’t see their logic. If they don’t take the chance to DumptRump now surely they are lost in that tRump will continue running and ruining everything. Don’t they want to have control of their own destiny?
Plus its down right dishonest!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 25th, 2021, 5:12 pm

Furniture wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 11:43 pm
January 24th, 2021, 9:58 am

Republicans attitude to tRumps insurrection and impeachment is not only disgusting and disheartening I just don’t see their logic. If they don’t take the chance to DumptRump now surely they are lost in that tRump will continue running and ruining everything. Don’t they want to have control of their own destiny?
Plus its down right dishonest!
Here’s the thing. Based on the rant I got from my dad yesterday, there’s still support for Trump. The following is what my dad legit believes, and no statement of facts will change:

1. There was widespread voter fraud, especially in PA. The numbers he cited were those pulled out of thin air by Rudy Giuliani. Those numbers have been debunked, but good luck telling that to a hard core Trump supporter.
2. If a fair election was held, Trump would win by a landslide.
3. Trump had nothing to do with the insurrection. That was antifa.
4. Trump did nothing impeachable. The Democrats are just afraid he will run again in 2024, and he would win. They’re trying to block that from happening.
5. Nancy Pelosi is solely responsible for the holdup in aid checks.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Basically, the Republicans in AZ are sucking up to the Trump supporters in their state. Based on what is happening, I see the odds of impeachment at slim to none. I think there’s a real risk that the Republican Party splits, with Trump forming his own party. Fine by me. He will get the QAnon faction. The remaining republicans would be sane. But, it should hurt their chances in future elections. I would like to see a moderate party emerge from the far right insanity. I think they would gain support from the moderates in the Democratic Party, as well as picking up the never Trumpers.

I would really like to know what media source is amplifying the pro-Trump garbage.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 26th, 2021, 8:40 am

Almost a week after the new senators wore sworn in, Mitch finally concedes control of the Senate. He had wanted in writing that Dems wouldn't remove the filibuster, but gave in on the words of Manchin and Synema that they have no intention of revoking it.
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » January 26th, 2021, 10:47 am

January 26th, 2021, 8:40 am
Almost a week after the new senators wore sworn in, Mitch finally concedes control of the Senate. He had wanted in writing that Dems wouldn't remove the filibuster, but gave in on the words of Manchin and Synema that they have no intention of revoking it.
I'm just going to come right out and say that I think the filibuster is doomed, and was from the moment Harry Reid lifted it for judicial appointments. If the Dems won't do it when they are up to bat, then the Reps will make short work of it next time they have both a majority and the Presidency. Politics is simply no longer based on comity, and IMO Manchin and Synema are fighting the last war. I'm actually surprised the filibuster lasted through the Trump term, but I guess Mitch needed some cover for not acceding to the Great Leader's every whim.

Manchin and Synema may well keep their word on the subject, but it won't matter in the long run. Obstructionism is too entrenched these days, and there is simply no other way to get anything done. With anyone other than a complete buffoon in the White House, Reps won't hesitate, IMO.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 26th, 2021, 10:51 am

Phredd3 wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 10:47 am
I'm just going to come right out and say that I think the filibuster is doomed, and was from the moment Harry Reid lifted it for judicial appointments. If the Dems won't do it when they are up to bat, then the Reps will make short work of it next time they have both a majority and the Presidency. Politics is simply no longer based on comity, and IMO Manchin and Synema are fighting the last war. I'm actually surprised the filibuster lasted through the Trump term, but I guess Mitch needed some cover for not acceding to the Great Leader's every whim.

Manchin and Synema may well keep their word on the subject, but it won't matter in the long run. Obstructionism is too entrenched these days, and there is simply no other way to get anything done. With anyone other than a complete buffoon in the White House, Reps won't hesitate, IMO.
Totally agree. It needs to go away. The only way to obliterate the gridlock that has taken hold of congress for the last two decades is to obliterate the filibuster. Some call it "the nuclear option"; I call it a necessity.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » January 26th, 2021, 2:35 pm

January 26th, 2021, 10:51 am
Phredd3 wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 10:47 am

Totally agree. It needs to go away. The only way to obliterate the gridlock that has taken hold of congress for the last two decades is to obliterate the filibuster. Some call it "the nuclear option"; I call it a necessity.
Plus one. Wholly agree.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » January 26th, 2021, 6:39 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/stat ... 6001034240

^This is gold pure gold. So much for the Fox guys who said Biden was senile!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 26th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Furniture wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 6:39 pm

Comments are hilarious.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 26th, 2021, 8:12 pm

Wow, this is some special timing. Senator Leahy, who is overseeing the impeachment trial, was taken to the hospital tonight.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vermont-sen- ... 42718.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » January 26th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Furniture wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 6:39 pm

That's awesome. Go Joe. Just went to Foxnews.com and shockingly I didn't see the profound question asked by their reporter. Now I must take a long shower to clean myself off after spending time in that cesspool.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 26th, 2021, 8:17 pm

PS, Vermont's governor is a Republican, so if something awful were to happen with Leahy, he would likely be replaced with a Republican senator and the Senate would flip back.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » January 26th, 2021, 8:45 pm

January 26th, 2021, 8:17 pm
PS, Vermont's governor is a Republican, so if something awful were to happen with Leahy, he would likely be replaced with a Republican senator and the Senate would flip back.
Now you are scaring me.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » January 26th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole but he is about as RINO as they get. The Republican governor of Mass. is the same. According to this article, the VT governor voted for Biden.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... 573855002/
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 26th, 2021, 11:19 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 11:03 pm
Don't want to go too far down this rabbit hole but he is about as RINO as they get. The Republican governor of Mass. is the same. According to this article, the VT governor voted for Biden.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... 573855002/
Leahy was back home not long after his hospital run, so that's a good sign and crossing fingers it was no big deal.