Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2009, 10:23 pm

I'm currently kicked back in the recliner, sampling a bottle of O'Fallon Brewery Peach Wheat Beer (Wheach). The descriptor on the bottle reads "malt beverage with natural flavor", which makes me think of wine coolers. However, the flavor is nothing like a wine cooler. The first flavor that hits you upon tasting is peach, but it's not the overly sweet flavor that you would get from a wine cooler. Also unlike wine coolers, the peach flavor fades away to leave a smooth malty taste. The beer is light in color and isn't heavy in flavor.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Red Hook ESB-another from the incorrectly delivered sampler-a fair rendition of the standard English ESB-deep golden and clear with a modest amount of caramel and chocolate malts, I'd guess. Pleasant hop presence throughout. Good for a session. I'd guess about 40-50 IBU and the bottle says 5.8% ABV. Nothing special here. Don't know whether I got the NH or Woodinville, Washington product (are you reading, DA ;) ) Since Miller bought them several years ago, I am less impressed with their product. My son will see several of these next week when we go to visit him in DC.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 10:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm currently kicked back in the recliner, sampling a bottle of O'Fallon Brewery Peach Wheat Beer (Wheach). The descriptor on the bottle reads "malt beverage with natural flavor", which makes me think of wine coolers. However, the flavor is nothing like a wine cooler. The first flavor that hits you upon tasting is peach, but it's not the overly sweet flavor that you would get from a wine cooler. Also unlike wine coolers, the peach flavor fades away to leave a smooth malty taste. The beer is light in color and isn't heavy in flavor.
I think we have another regular beer reviewer :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 10:43 pm

I did invite bluebear, who posts occasionally on the OTB about beer, in addition to ohioguy2 and SlimSlowSlider who have not posted in a while about their tastings.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » April 20th, 2009, 8:28 am

devildeac wrote:I did invite bluebear, who posts occasionally on the OTB about beer, in addition to ohioguy2 and SlimSlowSlider who have not posted in a while about their tastings.
I'm here. Thanks for the invite! I did not know this site existed. Last night I had a couple of Goose Island 312's with our pork chop dinner. This is a wheat beer that they tout as an "urban wheat". The weather was cool and damp--the beer was rather bright and crisp. A good drink for any time and with most meals.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 8:34 am

ohioguy2 wrote:
devildeac wrote:I did invite bluebear, who posts occasionally on the OTB about beer, in addition to ohioguy2 and SlimSlowSlider who have not posted in a while about their tastings.
I'm here. Thanks for the invite! I did not know this site existed. Last night I had a couple of Goose Island 312's with our pork chop dinner. This is a wheat beer that they tout as an "urban wheat". The weather was cool and damp--the beer was rather bright and crisp. A good drink for any time and with most meals.
WELCOME!

Glad you could join us.

CB&B had the site up and running on or about 4/8/09 so you don't have that much catch up work or drinking to do :lol: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 9:52 am

Red Hook Sunrye-the 3rd in the RH sampler-a fair brew which pours a pale yellow-golden and is smoothed by the rye. Little bitterness and I'd guess mostly crystal malt. I'd wager IBU are low, in the 30-40 range, as is the ABV, which is probably 4-5%. A pleasant brew for the porch in the spring/summer of after lawn mowing.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Welcome OhioGuy!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » April 20th, 2009, 11:16 am

I'm here too..thanks again for the invite..just ran through the thread so far and looks like some great reviews. Looking forward to contributing..I have a bottle of Skull Splitter Wee Heavy teed up for this evening...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 12:43 pm

bluebear wrote:
I'm here too..thanks again for the invite..just ran through the thread so far and looks like some great reviews. Looking forward to contributing..I have a bottle of Skull Splitter Wee Heavy teed up for this evening...
Another hearty and HOPPY welcome to our newest poster.

Waiting on SSS to venture over here. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 20th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Vcool..we have enough here that I can keep my reviews to this board alone now. Welcome bluebear!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 10:44 pm

My last of the Red Hook series:

Long Hammer IPA-This was the best of the sampler but as IPAs go, it was average. A bit of floral, a bit of citrus, some crystal and caramel malts for a reasonable balance. A bit sour and not in the Belgian/FlemishRodenbach good sour either. IBU about 60 and ABV was 6.8%.

Not bad enough for the "Ycch, beer" thread but I'm not sure what I'll do with the remainder of the sampler. :(
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 10:53 pm

I had the fortunate experience this past weekend to experience a sampler of various dark brew samplers accompanied with some fish (cod) and chips. I can't remember the name of the 2nd one in the list, but I'll see if I kind find the name and results somewhere in my notes

1. Big Boss Bad Penny (made in Raleigh, NC): (BROWN ALE)
- This Engilsh-style dark brown ale is lightly sweet with a caramel and dark fruit finish.
- It was okay, but need more to sample
- I like this one! (not to mention the otherss...:-))
2. Unknown:
- Can't remember what this one was (Guess the Big Boss had it's way with me early on) ;-)
3. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout (Farmville, NC): (STOUTS/PORTERS)
- A traditional full-boided stout brew with lactose (milk-sugar). The sublte sweetness imparted by the lactose balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains which gives this beer it's black color.
- I liked this one! (not to mention the others... :-))
4. Abita Turbo Dog (made in Abita Springs, LA): (BROWN ALE)
- A dark brown ale rich in body and color with a sweet chocolate-toffee-like flavor.

All I can say in summary, there was not an empty sampler left, so I guess they all must get a thumbs up, besides the fact that at least 2 of 4 were locally NC brewed beers!

...chris
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 10:54 pm

Now a good one. Unusual, but good:

Rock Art Brewery-Morrisville, Ver-Mont; Hell's Bock.

Bock beers are lagers. The label says lager but it didn't taste like no lager that I never had before (how about that triple negative :lol: ). 8% ABV which is a bit high for a bock, which would typically be 5-6% and a double bock would be 7-8% or higher. IBU are 75! WTH! This tasted like an IPA which was fine but it had little of the sweetness/maltiness of a bock and more of the citrus/floral aroma and taste of a good IPA. EXTREME is plastered across the label along with "a big bock with twice the hops" and "this ain't for no mama's boy or daddy's girl." An enjoyable brew despite the discrepancy between the label and the taste.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 10:57 pm

cl15876 wrote:I had the fortunate experience this past weekend to experience a sampler of various dark brew samplers accompanied with some fish (cod) and chips. I can't remember the name of the 2nd one in the list, but I'll see if I kind find the name and results somewhere in my notes

- This Engilsh-style dark brown ale is lightly sweet with a caramel and dark fruit finish.
2. Unknown:
- Can't remember what this one was (Guess the Big Boss had it's way with me early on) ;-)
- A traditional full-boided stout brew with lactose (milk-sugar). The sublte sweetness imparted by the lactose balances the sharpness of the highly roasted grains which gives this beer it's black color.
- A dark brown ale rich in body and color with a sweet chocolate-toffee-like flavor.

All I can say in summary, there was not an empty sampler left, so I guess they all must get a thumbs up, besides the fact that at least 2 of 4 were locally NC brewed beers!

...chris
You're getting pretty good at this :D .
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Ya know, it just occurred to me.... is there a way or criteria to .....

Take all of these reviews and assess what ranks #1, #2, .... #n ..... Is this even possible?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 20th, 2009, 11:00 pm

devildeac wrote: ....

Thanks! You, CB&B, DA, Lavabe, and so many more to list were/are such great mentors!!!!!!

BTW - How did you like the VA Brew on Saturday? The Vodka was awesome! Still working on it! :D
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 20th, 2009, 11:11 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I had the fortunate experience this past weekend to experience a sampler of various dark brew samplers accompanied with some fish (cod) and chips. I can't remember the name of the 2nd one in the list, but I'll see if I kind find the name and results somewhere in my notes

2. Unknown:

...chris
He takes it very seriously. I looked over while I was visiting with my freshman dorm buddies after dinner, and Chris was jotting down notes on his beer sampler. He is a studious beer connoisseur.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 11:20 pm

cl15876 wrote:Ya know, it just occurred to me.... is there a way or criteria to .....

Take all of these reviews and assess what ranks #1, #2, .... #n ..... Is this even possible?
I have my top 5-10 brews ever which I'll list sometime.

Another way to think about it is to list your favorite pale ale, lager, brown ale, etc.

Ooooh, sounds like a theme or themes for a Brunchgate or three :D ...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2009, 11:22 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote: ....

Thanks! You, CB&B, DA, Lavabe, and so many more to list were/are such great mentors!!!!!!

BTW - How did you like the VA Brew on Saturday? The Vodka was awesome! Still working on it! :D
1. Haven't had it yet. catching up on other brew reviews. Probably tomorrow night.
2. you should still be working on it-it was a whole damn 1/5th :oops: :o ;)