Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Miles » April 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm

devildeac wrote:Salisbury is about a 2 hour drive from Raleigh. Let me know your travel dates and I'll plan a meal at one of the Lexington BBQ joints, too. :)
I'll be there the first weekend in June for Bostondevil's play. You can follow the thread here.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 16th, 2009, 11:44 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:DFH-Burton Baton Oak Aged IIPA

My disappointment in Aprihop did not stop me from buying a bottle of Burton Baton (local shop now sells much of the DFH beers in singles, including PSM). This is a great beer and remarkably drinkable for such a big beer (10% ABV). On the nose it has great IPA notes--lots of grapefruit (and I would guess it's dry hopped given the concentrated nature of the bitterness). The flavor has a bit of citrus and an nice bitter bite. What seals the deal is the rich, butteryness of the oak and a nice malty sweetness. Top notch.
Someone else reviewed this recently. I think it was Bluebeer, err, Bluebear on the OTB. His thoughts were similar. In fact, I think I convinced him to buy another 4 pack and cellar it for a year or three and severely test his patience :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2009, 12:24 am

Terrible. Page 2
Inversion IPA-Deschutes Brewing-A pretty standard IPA with caramel malt and NW hops for a good balance of citrus and smooth sweetness (slight). Good spring/summer ale with some grilled chicken or fish. I'd guess the IBU about 60 and the ABV is 6.8%. You might be able to enjoy another brew after this one. One of these will be delivered to Brunchgate tomorrow, CB&B if you are still reading this.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2009, 12:31 am

Mothership Wit-I'm glad NB decided to distribute this to NC. An excellent wheat brew with orange peel and coriander, very classic for the Belgian Wit style. Fizzy and slightly cloudy as you would expect from a wheat ale. Compares very well to the classic Hoegaarden. A bomber of this was very enjoyable on a spring evening this week at a low IBU and 4.8% ABV.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » April 18th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Cold and rainy/snowy here in Denver so, naturally, I spent the day drinking beer. I went to the Great Divide Brewery tasting room this afternoon and sampled a nice selection of ales. For my four free tasters I went with their Saison, Dunkel Weiss, Claymore Scotch Ale, and Titan IPA (before I realized they would open me a bottle of Hercules IIPA :evil: ). I also had a pint of the Dunkel Weiss and Saison, although I wasn't really paying close enough attention to provide adequate reviews here. Worry not. I bought a bomber of each and will post thoughts soon (perhaps later this evening if one gets cracked open, but that's up in the air).

Most importantly, the Great Divide Brewery has become a go-to pre-Rockies game bar for me. It's just a few blocks from Coors Field and, although its beer selection is not that of the Falling Rock Tap House (if you're reading this thread and you stop in Denver, the FRTH, with around 100 beers on tap, is a MUST STOP) the free samples make it a smart choice. Plus they gave me lots of stickets. :(|)
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 12:08 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Cold and rainy/snowy here in Denver so, naturally, I spent the day drinking beer. I went to the Great Divide Brewery tasting room this afternoon and sampled a nice selection of ales. For my four free tasters I went with their Saison, Dunkel Weiss, Claymore Scotch Ale, and Titan IPA (before I realized they would open me a bottle of Hercules IIPA :evil: ). I also had a pint of the Dunkel Weiss and Saison, although I wasn't really paying close enough attention to provide adequate reviews here. Worry not. I bought a bomber of each and will post thoughts soon (perhaps later this evening if one gets cracked open, but that's up in the air).

Most importantly, the Great Divide Brewery has become a go-to pre-Rockies game bar for me. It's just a few blocks from Coors Field and, although its beer selection is not that of the Falling Rock Tap House (if you're reading this thread and you stop in Denver, the FRTH, with around 100 beers on tap, is a MUST STOP) the free samples make it a smart choice. Plus they gave me lots of stickets. :(|)
Some of us need to make a visit to Denver...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Red Hook-Blonde-

disclaimer here-I ordered a Stoudt's or Victory assortment from a friend who travelled to Pennsylvania but because 1) he did not know that much about beer and 2) Pa's damned beer laws, he figured out the only way he was allowed to buy beer was at a warehouse/distributor and ended up with a case of Red Hook that he divided between a couple of us at the hospital.

The beer is a nice light yellow-golden lager with hints of lemon grass in the scent and taste. Low IBU and ABV, I'd guess about 4-5%. Good after yard/lawn work and sitting on the porch in the spring/summer on a warm day.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Samichlaus 2008 and Sam Adams Imperial Bock in the house! :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 19th, 2009, 2:31 pm

devildeac wrote:Samichlaus 2008 and Sam Adams Imperial Bock in the house! :D .
Yummm.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 19th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Heavy Seas Holy Sheet Uber Alley Ale.
I love Sundays after a brunchgate, it's when I taste one or trades from the the day before. I got gifted from two traders yesterday, clbunchanumbers (whom I have actually memorized his numbers now, but I'm stuck in my old ways) and devildeac. The Heavy Seas offering is from DD.
Instantly fruity, and I'm trying to pick out the overt ones. No one fruit really stands out, the ale just has that quality to its flavor. It has a dark red color and high abv at 9%. On the bottle they call the color "deep bugundy", and the comparison to the wine isn't lost on the color alone. Between the color, higher alcohol and fruityness it's easy to place both side by side with a steak dinner. Medium body, low head..this brew is to be enjoyed over a long conversation or would be a good reading refresher. I'd buy it if I saw it in the store without hesitation.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 19th, 2009, 3:43 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Heavy Seas Holy Sheet Uber Alley Ale.
I love Sundays after a brunchgate, it's when I taste one or trades from the the day before. I got gifted from two traders yesterday, clbunchanumbers (whom I have actually memorized his numbers now, but I'm stuck in my old ways) and devildeac. The Heavy Seas offering is from DD.
Instantly fruity, and I'm trying to pick out the overt ones. No one fruit really stands out, the ale just has that quality to its flavor. It has a dark red color and high abv at 9%. On the bottle they call the color "deep bugundy", and the comparison to the wine isn't lost on the color alone. Between the color, higher alcohol and fruityness it's easy to place both side by side with a steak dinner. Medium body, low head..this brew is to be enjoyed over a long conversation or would be a good reading refresher. I'd buy it if I saw it in the store without hesitation.
Is that Clipper City Brewery? I've had--and really enjoyed--their golden ale and stout (peg leg, IIRC). Very good, tough to find brewery, at least out here.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Noticed last week that Schlafly's Raspberry Hefeweizen is in the stores. Is it worth trying out? That, Wheach, or both?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 19th, 2009, 3:50 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: Is that Clipper City Brewery? I've had--and really enjoyed--their golden ale and stout (peg leg, IIRC). Very good, tough to find brewery, at least out here.
Yes to Clipper City. I haven't had any weak brew by them, in fact they brew one of my favorite lagers, the Uber Pils.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 19th, 2009, 4:26 pm

Jealousy is a cardinal sin, right?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 5:08 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Heavy Seas Holy Sheet Uber Alley Ale.
Is that Clipper City Brewery? I've had--and really enjoyed--their golden ale and stout (peg leg, IIRC). Very good, tough to find brewery, at least out here.

Located in Frederick, Md. Part of their High seas series listed below:

barleywine-Below Decks
weizen double bock-Hang Ten
saison-Red Sky at Night
(haven't had any of the three above)
uber abbey ale-Holy Sheet
IIPA-Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale
imperial stout-Peg Leg
uber pils-Small Craft Warning
(had the last 4)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 5:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Noticed last week that Schlafly's Raspberry Hefeweizen is in the stores. Is it worth trying out? That, Wheach, or both?
The Schlafly 'cuz it's a good spring/summer brew and the Wheach 'cuz I've never had it before and you can review it here :D .

I don't think I would have either with a concrete though :roll: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 5:13 pm

captmojo wrote:

Jealousy is a cardinal sin, right?
Yes.

So is Albert Pujols hitting less than 30 HR, driving in less than 100 runs and batting under .300. :roll: :lol: :oops: .
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 19th, 2009, 8:36 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote: Is that Clipper City Brewery? I've had--and really enjoyed--their golden ale and stout (peg leg, IIRC). Very good, tough to find brewery, at least out here.
Yes to Clipper City. I haven't had any weak brew by them, in fact they brew one of my favorite lagers, the Uber Pils.
Yeah, I need to keep an out for some of their stuff. I'm not much a pilsner drinker but I recently tried Oskar Blues' Mama's Lil Yella Pils (with the tag-line "take two and call us in the morning" ) and found it to be an enjoyable, refreshing beer. This made up for the lack of complexity. Usually I'll reach for a wheat or even a balanced pale ale when it's hot on the patio, but I could do a pils from time to time.

Totally of-topic question: :ymbilly: :ymhiro: Is this Ken and Ryu from Street Fighter?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 19th, 2009, 10:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Noticed last week that Schlafly's Raspberry Hefeweizen is in the stores. Is it worth trying out? That, Wheach, or both?
I believe I reviewed the Hefe somewhere else in cyberspace. All the more reason to buy it and review it here. It's well worth it. IIRC, you may have had it on tap at Blueberry Hill.

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Lavabe wrote:
I believe I reviewed the Hefe somewhere else in cyberspace. All the more reason to buy it and review it here. It's well worth it. IIRC, you may have had it on tap at Blueberry Hill.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Seems like it was regular Hefe and not Raspberry.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein