Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2009, 10:57 pm

devildeac wrote:Sam Adams Imperial Stout-One of the 3 of the new SA Imperial series, though CB&B will say 4 but I have not seen the Imperial Bock yet ;) . This is nearly black and a bit viscous with an aroma of dark chocolate and a palate to match. Modest hops but the dark malts rule here with a slight hint of coffee and some licorice and molasses, too. I still like the Brooklyn better and have for years but this is quite a brew. ABV is 9.2% so this will be my only brew of the evening.
I like Sam Adams - I think I might have tasted that one and it was good if I recall! I haven't had too many Sam Adams that weren't! I want to try colchar's dad's special recipe from the Molsen Golden plant - that was actually a great brew also! Haven't had it in a long time!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2009, 10:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Sam Adams Imperial Stout-One of the 3 of the new SA Imperial series, though CB&B will say 4 but I have not seen the Imperial Bock yet ;) . This is nearly black and a bit viscous with an aroma of dark chocolate and a palate to match. Modest hops but the dark malts rule here with a slight hint of coffee and some licorice and molasses, too. I still like the Brooklyn better and have for years but this is quite a brew. ABV is 9.2% so this will be my only brew of the evening.
No. CB&B will say 3 but he has knowledge of the Imperial Bock. And the Imperial Stout, and Imperial White....so he wonders what is YOUR number 3 (or 4)? And he wonders why this isn't Ymm, Beerish.

Nevermind, I just re-read that. Your #4 is the bock, you must try. And you too out there in TV land, you must as well.
Stout, White, Bock (heresay :roll: ) and Pilsner. The Imperial Pilsner was 1st released last year and I have had both years without much difference between the two.

It's not Ymm, Beer, cuz we're having our 10 PM toasting and I thought we'd/I'd review it here. Now, back to your regularly schedule beer thread :) .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Great review CL, and I'm glad you enjoyed that one. Saranac is on the whole a dependable brewery, and readily available. I love their samplers. If you get the chance to taste their Caramel Porter, do so. I know it is included in a seasonal sampler that they offer.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2009, 11:02 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
10 PM is celebratory brew time. I expects a flurry of brew reviews shortly thereafter ;) .
I am sitting here ready with my bottle opener. And my open bottle....dammit. Well, I'll be ready at 10:00 PM with my NEXT open bottle. Wooohooo!
Okay, I will initially kick this off.

I started a prep test with a Saranac Adirondack Lager. It was not dark, it had an interesting taste and started out okay, but then I wasn't sure if I liked it. I probably would like it after a couple more :D

So I had to open another now that my palette was somewhat tainted..... and I couldn't keep myself away from Saranac Black Forest beer bottle that was calling my name (CLbunchof numbers - drink ME ME ME)

So I opened it, smelled it, .....OMG........ I had to whip the corner of my lips, as my eyes rolled in the back of my head, I poured a tasting and it was absolutely beautiful! A little bit of head, nice and dark and rich, not much carbonation at all, but SOOO smooth. It reminded me of (well many things.. :-)...), but it took my mind back to actually being there in the Black Forest of Germany (what a wonderful place) and the beer was just incredible! I eventually had to finish the Adirondack Lager because I wanted to see if my taste buds could convert, but when you've had the honey and sugar, who wants bland and bitter.

It appears Saranac Brewery is out of NY, but the box says the following for the black forest brew:
"A Bavarian Black Beer with Distinctive caramel, malt sweetness and rich creamy trademark head. flavorful, yet smooth it is very drinkable." I think the box said that IT WAS VERY DRINKABLE, I have to concur, did that it WAS VERRRY DRINKABLE!!! It is yummy! This was an experience to taste for me! Here are a little more metrics and info from web site. http://www.saranac.com/page/black-forest

Beer Style: Bavarian black beer
Malt Selections: Two-row & caramel malt
Hop Selections: Mt hood, hallertauer
Color: Dark Brown / Black
Mouthfeel / Body: Medium
Food Companions: Ole' Mexican foods, grilled chicken dishes
Alcohol By Volume: 5.3%
Original Gravity: 13

Now for the 2nd place finisher in my opinion - "Our classic German Lager has a perfect balance of caramel, malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Look for a rich amber color and medium body!" Here are a few more metrics and info from webpage: http://www.saranac.com/page/adirondack-lager

Beer Style: German Amber Lager
Malt Selections: Two-row & Caramel
Hop Selections: Cascade, Mt Hood, German Hallertauer
Color: Golden/Amber
Mouthfeel / Body: Medium
Food Companions: Red Pasta, Sandwiches, BBQ Chicken, Tex-Mex
Alcohol By Volume: 5.5%
Original Gravity: 13
Well done. I believe we have another convert to the House of Hops. 8-)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 11:04 pm

devildeac wrote: Stout, White, Bock (heresay :roll: ) and Pilsner. The Imperial Pilsner was 1st released last year and I have had both years without much difference between the two.
Ahhhh, a Pils. That would be # 4, and unseen to my eyes. How cool.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2009, 11:17 pm

Ymm, Yeti!!

Imperial Stout; poured from a bomber.

Dark brown color, thin tan head. Officially, it has 75 IBUs. Stout aroma, with oakish scent and hints of vanilla. NOT as bitter as I thought. Smooth malt was applied to this brew, as the bitterness never reached what I have expected from a 75 IBU. A slightly bitter initial taste, followed by a wallop of malt, and traditional stout taste. No bitterness in the aftertaste. 9.5 ABV. NOT as potent as I would have thought.

Ymmmm: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 1/2
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2009, 1:04 am

Avery Czar Imperial Stout
I'm on the second half a bomber, I've been enjoying it while watching the last 3 episodes of Lost. I watched all 3, and still have the majority of my second glass to drink, so obviously it's a sipper. I really have enjoyed this one, very smooth and chocolatey. It reminds me of Hershey's Dark liquified. I tried the first sip with trepidation, assuming that the alchohol notes would jump out, but they are incredibley muted in this ale. This one is my first tasting of the Czar, at 10 bux a bottle, I would always pass it by, but since the specialty store has there going out of business sale, I got it a half off. I'll have to go back and see if they have any left. Excellent taste, by far my favorite Avery yet. Even if I have to get at $10 again, I could see doing it for special occasions now that I know what I'm paying for.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 13th, 2009, 9:36 am

devildeac wrote: Stout, White, Bock (heresay :roll: ) and Pilsner. The Imperial Pilsner was 1st released last year and I have had both years without much difference between the two.
Ahhhh, a Pils. That would be # 4, and unseen to my eyes. How cool.
I may have 1 left if my son didn't sneak off with it when he teturned to DC last weekend. If I still have it, it's yours and if not, I'll check at Total Wine this week and buy a 4 pack and bring 1-2 to Derm this weekend.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2009, 10:21 am

The local specialty shop that is closing recycles 6 pack and 4 containers for use with make-your-own packs, and when I was cleaning up this weekend noticed that one of my 4 pack holders was the SA Imperial Pils. So they used to sell it at least, but I don't believe they have any in stock anymore.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti

Post by rockymtn devil » April 14th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Lavabe wrote:Ymm, Yeti!!

Imperial Stout; poured from a bomber.

Dark brown color, thin tan head. Officially, it has 75 IBUs. Stout aroma, with oakish scent and hints of vanilla. NOT as bitter as I thought. Smooth malt was applied to this brew, as the bitterness never reached what I have expected from a 75 IBU. A slightly bitter initial taste, followed by a wallop of malt, and traditional stout taste. No bitterness in the aftertaste. 9.5 ABV. NOT as potent as I would have thought.

Ymmmm: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 1/2
One of my very favorite beers. The buttery vanilla notes from the oak make a huge difference compared to the standard Yeti. They now make an Espresso Oak Aged Yeti that is not quite as good--at least not now. That one needs to mellow out a bit, especially in terms of the roasted coffee notes. But, they do suggest pairing it with breakfast, so I may have to give it another go one weekend morning.

Great Divide has also just introduced a dunkelweiss, a saison Belgian farmhouse ale, and a Belgian style IPA (very curious about this one) that I'll hopefully be able to try soon and provide thoughts (hoping to make it there for happy hour on Friday).
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 15th, 2009, 12:31 pm

NB in NC and they even put it in a commemoraive NC bomber. 1st up: 1554 Enlightened Black Ale-A good but not great beer to start a session or enjoy in the middle of one. Dark brown and clear with a modest head. Nice chocolate and caramel malts with mild hop presence. This was a bit smoky to me, which I like, and would be great with burgers and/or brats/sausages off the grill. They also distribute Mothership Wit and a friend brought by a bomber of Fat Tire yesterday. Hey, RMD, get them to send some of the Abbey Ale and Triple, too. :)
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 15th, 2009, 7:20 pm

devildeac wrote:NB in NC and they even put it in a commemoraive NC bomber. 1st up: 1554 Enlightened Black Ale-A good but not great beer to start a session or enjoy in the middle of one. Dark brown and clear with a modest head. Nice chocolate and caramel malts with mild hop presence. This was a bit smoky to me, which I like, and would be great with burgers and/or brats/sausages off the grill. They also distribute Mothership Wit and a friend brought by a bomber of Fat Tire yesterday. Hey, RMD, get them to send some of the Abbey Ale and Triple, too. :)
It's been yeas since I've had a 1554. Is NB only distributing bombers to NC? I like Mothership as a go to summer beer (slightly better than Sunshine). Abbey is my favorite of their year-round beers. Skinny Dip should be appearing shortly, so keep an eye out for that.

A review that I've been storing for about a month now is the Aprihop IPA from DFH. Although I've been put off by the booziness of some DFH beers (The Fort comes to mind, but that beer needs to age and it will lose some of that bite; at that point, it will be fantastic), I've never been disappointed or wished I had gone with something else. That finally changed. I'm not sure if this year's is just a bad batch, but the beer was in no way, shape, or form an IPA. This is a shame coming from a brewery that makes two of the very best IPAs you can find the U.S. The apricot flavor was there, kind of. So, it was an IPA that didn't have any citrus, floral, or piney bitterness. And it was an "apricot" ale that only kind of tasted like apricot. Maybe I'll give it another try on tap, but I don't see myself purchasing a four pack again.

:ar! (this adds nothing to the post, but I wanted to use the pirate emoticon at least once)
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 15th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Does anyone want me to bring some beer from San Diego? I could deliver in Salisbury at Bostondevil's play.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 15th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Miles wrote:Does anyone want me to bring some beer from San Diego? I could deliver in Salisbury at Bostondevil's play.
Abso-frickin-lutely!

What reply did you expect? :lol:

Some Green Flash stuff but not the IPA as I can buy that there. Maybe the Imperial IPA?

Any Russian River stuff like:

Gubilligotch barleywine

Pliny the elder
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 15th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Miles wrote:Does anyone want me to bring some beer from San Diego? I could deliver in Salisbury at Bostondevil's play.
For those on the east coast, I'd recommend anything from Lost Abbey which is, IIRC, a San Diego brewery (sister brewery to the Port Brewing Co.).

In Boulder beer news, Avery has announced Sixteen, which will hit stores on May 1st (love the label).

http://www.averybrewing.com/BigBeers/seasonal/SIXTEEN

Sounds delicious. I'll be interested to see how if differs from their Twelve, which was also a saison ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 16th, 2009, 9:04 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote:NB in NC and they even put it in a commemoraive NC bomber. 1st up: 1554 Enlightened Black Ale-A good but not great beer to start a session or enjoy in the middle of one. Dark brown and clear with a modest head. Nice chocolate and caramel malts with mild hop presence. This was a bit smoky to me, which I like, and would be great with burgers and/or brats/sausages off the grill. They also distribute Mothership Wit and a friend brought by a bomber of Fat Tire yesterday. Hey, RMD, get them to send some of the Abbey Ale and Triple, too. :)
It's been yeas since I've had a 1554. Is NB only distributing bombers to NC? I like Mothership as a go to summer beer (slightly better than Sunshine). Abbey is my favorite of their year-round beers. Skinny Dip should be appearing shortly, so keep an eye out for that.

A review that I've been storing for about a month now is the Aprihop IPA from DFH. Although I've been put off by the booziness of some DFH beers (The Fort comes to mind, but that beer needs to age and it will lose some of that bite; at that point, it will be fantastic), I've never been disappointed or wished I had gone with something else. That finally changed. I'm not sure if this year's is just a bad batch, but the beer was in no way, shape, or form an IPA. This is a shame coming from a brewery that makes two of the very best IPAs you can find the U.S. The apricot flavor was there, kind of. So, it was an IPA that didn't have any citrus, floral, or piney bitterness. And it was an "apricot" ale that only kind of tasted like apricot. Maybe I'll give it another try on tap, but I don't see myself purchasing a four pack again.

:ar! (this adds nothing to the post, but I wanted to use the pirate emoticon at least once)
I have only looked once at Total Wine and none at Whole Foods but I only saw NB bombers. The Fat Tire gift was also a bomber. Sorry to read about the Aprihops. I thought it was different as an IPA and not bad 'cuz there are several styles/tastes depending on the hops used. Try a bottle of the 60 Minute IPA or the Bridgeport IPA and you might wonder if the Bridgeport is really an IPA as it has such a floral taste/bouquet and is quite smooth due to it being bottle conditioned. Couple more reviews coming tonight from the last few 10 PM toasts. :D
Miles

Post by Miles » April 16th, 2009, 1:49 pm

devildeac wrote: Abso-frickin-lutely!

Some Green Flash stuff but not the IPA as I can buy that there. Maybe the Imperial IPA?

Gubilligotch barleywine

Pliny the elder
Great list! If other's are interested send me a PM and we can work out payment arrangements, quantity, etc. I think I'll have enough room for two cases of bottles.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 16th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Miles wrote:
devildeac wrote: Abso-frickin-lutely!

Gubilligotch barleywine

Pliny the elder
Great list! If other's are interested send me a PM and we can work out payment arrangements, quantity, etc. I think I'll have enough room for two cases of bottles.
Salisbury is about a 2 hour drive from Raleigh. Let me know your travel dates and I'll plan a meal at one of the Lexington BBQ joints, too. :)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 16th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Carolina Brewing Company Nut Brown Ale-a nice alternative to Newcastle, not that anything is wrong with Newcastle. Clear and dark brown with nice maltiness from what I'd guess are chocolate and caramel malts. Minimal hop presence. Hints of smokiness, milk chocolate and almonds (?) but no additives. If anyone wants a great brown ale with a nut flavor added, try the Rogue Hazlenut which is legendary stuff. I'd guess this one is about 30-40 IBU and 5-6% ABV. Would make a nice beverage with burgers and brats fresh off the grill.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » April 16th, 2009, 8:32 pm

DFH-Burton Baton Oak Aged IIPA

My disappointment in Aprihop did not stop me from buying a bottle of Burton Baton (local shop now sells much of the DFH beers in singles, including PSM). This is a great beer and remarkably drinkable for such a big beer (10% ABV). On the nose it has great IPA notes--lots of grapefruit (and I would guess it's dry hopped given the concentrated nature of the bitterness). The flavor has a bit of citrus and an nice bitter bite. What seals the deal is the rich, butteryness of the oak and a nice malty sweetness. Top notch.