Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 8th, 2009, 8:35 pm

After the time I've had getting this board up and runnin, I need a beer, as CLbunchanumbers said in the LTE. Our local specialty store is going out of business, so she has all her beer on sale. I got a bunch for tasting and will post reviews as the night continues.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by colchar » April 8th, 2009, 8:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:After the time I've had getting this board up and runnin, I need a beer, as CLbunchanumbers said in the LTE. Our local specialty store is going out of business, so she has all her beer on sale. I got a bunch for tasting and will post reviews as the night continues.
Shouldn't you have said "I got a bunch for tasting and will post increasingly incoherent reviews as the night continues"?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 8th, 2009, 9:00 pm

heck if we were all three together, we'd probably not be sleeping because of all the stuff to do!!!! CB&B you definitely deserve to be incoherent, can't wait to see your creativity shine!!!! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 8th, 2009, 9:09 pm

cl15876 wrote:heck if we were all three together, we'd probably not be sleeping because of all the stuff to do!!!! CB&B you definitely deserve to be incoherent, can't wait to see your creativity shine!!!! :D
Even more than it already does!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 8th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Umm, I hate to say this, but I have not tried the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Any reviews?

ALSO, WHAT is going on with the O'Fallon Wheat Peach (Wheach)? Any sightings of it? :?:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 8th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:Umm, I hate to say this, but I have not tried the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Any reviews?

ALSO, WHAT is going on with the O'Fallon Wheat Peach (Wheach)? Any sightings of it? :?:
I have, I think I reviewed it on the DBR. Many know I love their Cherry Wheat, and I was really hoping the same liking for the Witbier, but sigh, it wasn't to be. It's good, but I've passed it over in the store many times since. I'll buy it again sometime in the summer I bet.
The Wheach sounds mighty interesting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2009, 11:16 pm

I've got a few "cellaring" to review :P
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2009, 12:23 am

I can't go to bed without posting a couple reviews. I had three tonight, but only will touch on 2. The third was Eel River's California Blonde Ale, and it was ok, but not great. One day I'll find a blonde that is great. :roll:
The other two I had are pretty damn tasty. Starting with Victory's Moonglow Weizen Bock, this brew was all over the place. Lots of flavor, this spicy ale is one I'll look for next fall. The spice flavors aren't forced like some of the Autumn ales seem to be, the color is dark and it has a bite. Lots of sediment in the bottle, which to me is an invitation to enjoy a well crafted beer. One of my homebrews I'm going to use a yeast culture from a store bought ale, just to see how it goes.
Beer # 3 was wisely saved for bedtime, the 9%ABV La Fin Du Monde is a Canadian "triple fermentation" ale. This is my first tasting from the Unibroue brewery. Nice maltiness, heavy body and pale color. Pours well into my goblet with a lasting white head, but nearly as heady as a Duvel. It's a sipper, I could read through a bunch of threads before the flavors fade away from my taste buds. I'm glad I got two, I think I'll have to go back this weekend and grab a couple more for some future tradings. (Gotta take advantage of the sale while the store is still there!)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 9th, 2009, 8:31 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: One day I'll find a blonde that is great.
We have several that post (or will post) on the board! :D :twisted:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 9th, 2009, 3:31 pm

I think someone here should grab as many beers as they can (ie. ones they want to review or particularly enjoy) and post their reviews as they drink them - all in one night.

Think about the hilarity that would ensue from someone liveblogging as they drank and reviewed that many beers!

I'll volunteer to do it with various brands of rye this Saturday...
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 9th, 2009, 4:25 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Don't look at the Daryl Hannah thread... :o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: here comes the WHEACH

Post by Lavabe » April 9th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I just called O'Fallon Brewery.

The WHEACH (Peach wheat) is out in the stores in St. Louis. :D :D
It's going to be brewed all summer long.

If only Arkie or throaty were on this board... ;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 9th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Lavabe wrote:I just called O'Fallon Brewery.

Are you giving me a homework assignment? Like, say, a shopping trip? Do I need to purchase extra and save it in the event that I drive in an easterly direction?
:)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » April 9th, 2009, 8:58 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Are you giving me a homework assignment? Like, say, a shopping trip? Do I need to purchase extra and save it in the event that I drive in an easterly direction?
:)
Indeed, it is your homework assignment. I'll check my local facility to see what they have from OFallon (they still have some other seasonals). Perhaps you should save a bottle for visitors from the East. ;) But yessssss, you must report on it. Now THAT'S mighty fine research!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Founder's Dry Hopped Pale Ale

Mixed reaction to this ale. It's a really good beer, I'll put that out first. Held up to the light while still in the bottle, you can see it has a nice yeast sediment layer at the bottom, which is a good sign in a craft brew. It means that it not heavily filtered nor pasteurized. What I don't like is it's twist off cap, which for said beer is not a great idea, plus I can't reuse the bottle. :( As far as the beer itself, I like it alot. This one was way heady, so much so that I'm not sure it hadn't sat on the shelf too long or gotten too warm. But the flavor is great. It might be dry hopped, but it isn't over hopped. You can taste the malts beneath the hoppiness, it is a nice pale color, and is very smooth. Medium body, the taste is a little citrussy, I'm guessing an ABV of about 6.7% Would earn another star from me if they capped it properly! I'll give it 3 out of five.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 9th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Don't look at the Daryl Hannah thread... :o
LOL - I thought Fred Thompson was a sure gimme!!!!! Transitioning from CathyCA's pic to ghost buster pic to Freddie himself! :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 9th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Founder's Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale, damn this is an excellent beer. Once again, boooo to the twist off cap, but what's under the hood is great. Pours with a slightly heavy body, white head on top of a brown ale. The malts are great, I taste a hint of chocolate and coffee. Higher alchohol notes in this than the pale ale I reviewed above, but I'm not sure the ABV is any higher. Very low hoppiness lets the flavors of the of the malts be the main attraction. I'm heading back this weekend to grab a sixer while they still have them on sale and in stock. 4 out of 5 stars.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2009, 1:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I can't go to bed without posting a couple reviews. I had three tonight, but only will touch on 2. The third was Eel River's California Blonde Ale, and it was ok, but not great. One day I'll find a blonde that is great. :roll:
The other two I had are pretty damn tasty. Starting with Victory's Moonglow Weizen Bock, this brew was all over the place. Lots of flavor, this spicy ale is one I'll look for next fall. The spice flavors aren't forced like some of the Autumn ales seem to be, the color is dark and it has a bite. Lots of sediment in the bottle, which to me is an invitation to enjoy a well crafted beer. One of my homebrews I'm going to use a yeast culture from a store bought ale, just to see how it goes.
Beer # 3 was wisely saved for bedtime, the 9%ABV La Fin Du Monde is a Canadian "triple fermentation" ale. This is my first tasting from the Unibroue brewery. Nice maltiness, heavy body and pale color. Pours well into my goblet with a lasting white head, but nearly as heady as a Duvel. It's a sipper, I could read through a bunch of threads before the flavors fade away from my taste buds. I'm glad I got two, I think I'll have to go back this weekend and grab a couple more for some future tradings. (Gotta take advantage of the sale while the store is still there!)
Never had #1.

The other two are excellent.

Try the Aventinus Wheat Double Bock. Classic for the style and about $4/16.9 ounce bottle. Well worth it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2009, 1:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Founder's Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale, damn this is an excellent beer. Once again, boooo to the twist off cap, but what's under the hood is great. Pours with a slightly heavy body, white head on top of a brown ale. The malts are great, I taste a hint of chocolate and coffee. Higher alchohol notes in this than the pale ale I reviewed above, but I'm not sure the ABV is any higher. Very low hoppiness lets the flavors of the of the malts be the main attraction. I'm heading back this weekend to grab a sixer while they still have them on sale and in stock. 4 out of 5 stars.
The Full Sail folks went to the twisties last year and I am not sure why. They still brew great session and specialty releases.
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » April 10th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I have not seen the Peach Wheat in the store I go to, yet.

Though I haven't been in at least a week.