Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Arachibutyrophobia (bottled 12/2018)-Gizmo Brew Works

Without researching, who knows what this means*?

This bomber was a Christmas gift from our older daughter and her husband and I sipped it over about an hour Thursday night. Pouring with a mild degree of vigor into a standard pint glass, I created a smallish, tan head. Yep, smells like peanut butter and caramel. Tastes like a peanut butter, caramel, milk chocolate cup. Pretty malty with very mild peanut shell (not added ) bitterness with IBUs at 40 and the ABV was 5.6%. Pleasant dessert beer or serve with a brownie or cookie. Good for a novelty and happy to receive and try. They gave me two of these so the other will be shared or a trader.

*(Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/7/18)-Founders Brewing Company

No, this review is *not* about the cheats MBB coach.

I know this has been reviewed before but this is the 2018 version .

I was lucky enough to find a 4 pack of this at Total Wine last month for about $16 so I snapped it up, knowing that one now and one annually, whether shared or for personal consumption, is always a wise purchase.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter in the wee hours this AM showed me a dark brown liquid with a small, light tan head. A whiff or two of peat wafts to the nostrils, along with some dark caramel and bourbon. More caramel greets my tongue followed by some vanilla (not added), wood, lots of dark, dried fruits, toasted coconut, smoke and booze. This is their standard Dirty Bastard, a Scotch-style ale, that has been incarcerated in bourbon barrels for several months. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 30 (lots and lots of grains/malts here) with the ABV at 11%. One could pair this with a ribeye or filet but I was quite happy without any match.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Let's see if I'm able to sneak a couple reviews in before tip-off.

BrutTurtle (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Fairly new joint (maybe 2 years old?) before you get on to Topsail Island at the NC coast. Yes, it's a brut IPA and a very good one, too. This four ounce pour as part of a flight was a light straw-yellow color with a small, white head. Very mild aromas of pears, apples and citrus fruits. Tastes were pretty mild, too, in addition to being very gentle on the palate (maybe 30 IBUs) and quite "dry." ABV on the chalkboard was 6.5%. I paired this with our take-out four item seafood platter from a nearby grill/tavern. Good example for the rather new style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Hay Zay (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Member #2 from my flight.

Guess what style this was ?

Non-clarified pineapple juice hue with a small head and modest scents of pineapple and grapefruit and subdued tastes of the same, too. There's some peach here along with mango, guava and papaya. Very mild hoppiness with IBUs in the 30-40 range (guess). ABV at 6.5% so a good, but not outstanding offering of the also somewhat new NEIPA style. Solid pairing with the seafood platter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Swingbridge Breakfast Stout (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Batting third, this coffee-infused, vanilla-added, regular stout was dark brown with a thin, tan head. Heavenly nose of java and milk chocolate (not added), with dark caramel, espresso, vanilla and chocolate flavors to enhance the heavily roasted grains. Another IBU guess her at 40 with the ABV at 6.3%. Nice beer after dinner to begin my liquid dessert trio.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Belgian Dubbel (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Couldn't resist this as the clean-up hitter in my flight.

Medium/dark brown pour with a small, tan head and all the expected showings of raisins, dates, figs, brown sugar, and a bit of chocolate. It was a bit *thin* but still very good. IBUs? Not posted but guessing 30. ABV was 8.1%. Sneaky. Good 4 ounce weigh-in for dessert #2.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Talos Operation Bumblebee (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

I've really evolved to not liking barleywines, even to the point of buying very few, if any, for the last several years as they're often brutally bitter, despite the high gravity. This one may change my mind.

From their website:

"First Beer in our Operation Bumblebee Series. This particular batch is not barrel aged! Amazing malty goodness that will keep you warm!" Hence my comment last PM responding to fuse that this brewery is indeed moving forward nicely.

The four ounce pour was a dark amber with a skinny, tan head. Lots of dried fruit aromas waft upward, followed by a somewhat viscous/syrupy mouthfeel that contained tastes of toffee, dried fruits (figs, cherries, dates and raisins) with brown sugary notes. I still think this was fairly high IBUs, guessing 70-80, but the balance was excellent with the ABV registering at 11.4%, high even for this style. Yes, it was quite warming. Their board lists it as an "American barleywine,' but it was much more malt forward, English-style, than hop forward, palate-wrecking American style. I'll be very interested to see what they produce this spring and summer, expecting some sours and/or barrel-aged ales to appear.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Barrel Runner (5/30/18 stamped on back label)-Founders Brewing

My turn-I moved it up "in the rotation" based on the above and it got good, quality minutes last PM in a snifter.

Interesting and intriguing are excellent impressions. I thought it a bit harsh beginning with the aromas but, as it warmed a bit over almost an hour, the scents "softened," along with the tastes. It's a rum barrel-aged IIPA so the IBUs are estimated to be fairly high, perhaps 70-80 range. They're countered by the 11.1% ABV, rather high for the style. Aromas are citrus fruits, rinds and all, along with wood and rum. Pretty complex palate with some orange liqueur, pineapple and grapefruit from the Citra hops, wood, toffee and, of course, high octane dark rum. I guess you could pair with some rum or chocolate balls but this is pretty substantial by itself. I'm surprised Total Wine had this last month and at a "reasonable" price of about $16 for the 4 pack. Several remain to age/trade/share.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 6th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Mad Beach-Aviator Brewing

It's been a long time since I had one of Aviator's core beers but this was left in the fridge after a family gathering and I was thirsty tonight so into the pint glass it went.
It'll be a long time before I buy another Aviator core been again. It was actually decent enough being a wheat beer with orange and coriander added but it really tasted like an Orange Crush soda with a buncha orange zest added. Meh, Beer.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 8th, 2019, 6:31 pm

devildeac wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 10:14 pm
From 8/2/18:
devildeac wrote:
August 2nd, 2018, 12:48 pm
From 4/24/18:
devildeac wrote:High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (2017)-Ballast Point (cough, Constellation, cough) Brewing

(No, not August West 8-| )

This beer's name is too long .

Highly recommended several months ago by our older son-in-law's father and seen for the first time last week so I bought a $16 four pack of 12 ounce bottles. Nice drop.

It's an imperial porter that has the appearance of an imperial stout, meaning it was a fairly viscous, almost black pour with a generous, medium khaki head. Nose of coffee (added), dark chocolate and booze (aged in bourbon and rye whiskey oak casks). Smooth, almost oily mouthfeel with espresso, semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla (added; also likely intensified by the bourbon/rye/oak whiskey barrel "storage"), burnt caramel and toasted almond flavors. Mildly bitter, likely from both the heavily roasted grains and a modest hop bill, with IBUs at 35. Seductive and dangerous with the ABV at 12%. Sipped from a snifter last PM over an hour and slightly chilled before decanting. Highly recommended.
From last PM:

High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (9/2/17 bottling date)-Ballast Point Brewing

I guess it's ok to review after another 3 months "in the cellar." Couldn't wait 6 months like I usually do.

Let's see, what's different?

Perhaps a bit thinner and a tad less booziness with more dark chocolate-covered caramel flavors this time around. Maybe I'll sample/share this in November at a tailgate with the 2018 w00t Stout.
From Sunday night:

High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (same litter)-Ballast Point (Constellation Brands) Brewing

Waited almost 4 months to review again after sharing the 12 ounce bottle with our younger daughter and her husband.

Moderately viscous pour with a somewhat thin, tan head. Pretty balanced aromas and tastes of coffee, dark chocolate, chocolate caramels, bourbon and very pleasant vanilla flavor (added). This is an imperial porter, not a stout but I'd likely be unable to discern much difference between this and an imperial stout if tasted side-by-side as the bitterness is comparable (guessing IBUs of 40) and the ABV is a sleep (coma?)-inducing 12%. I've got one left. What to do...
Quoting yourself two levels within your thread... :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 8th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Pre-Game (unstamped 12 ounce can)-The Unknown Brewing Company

Another fridge leftover from the weekend on Sunday night.

It's a pilsner and probably an American/Euro hybrid. Poured a gold-tinged yellow with a bit of haze. Nose of lemon, apples and pears and tastes of the same with some honey-ish notes, lightly toasted grains and some floral hops. I'll guess IBUs around 30 with the ABV registering at 4.5%. Would pair well with cold cut sandwiches and light chicken or seafood fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 8th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Alpha Klaus (no bottle dating)-Three Floyds Brewing

Their take:

"Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Xmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and, of course, tons of strange American hops."

My take:

Nice Christmas gift from our younger daughter and her husband.

Pour was a dark mahogany with a modest, thin, tan head. Typical porter scents (milk chocolate and coffee) with tastes of dark brown sugar, more chocolate than coffee, some grapefruit peel, flecks of burned pumpernickel toast and a pinch of licorice. This is what I think a "beer cocktail" made with a Baltic porter, a black IPA and a standard porter would taste like. IBUs are quoted as 38 and the ABV is 6%. This made a great pairing with a leftover bowl of Mrs. dd's almost famous chili tonight. It's also be happy with a slice of chocolate cake/torte. Three remain for trading/sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Long Winter Mocha Stout (unstamped can)-Booneshine Brewing Company

Trader from fuse last month. Thanks!

Poured from the 12 ounce can into a shaped Dogfish Head pint glass last PM. Color was almost black with a thin, tan head. This really smelled and tasted like liquid, dark chocolate, coffee-flavored fudge but not quite *that* thick . There was some dark caramel, burnt cereal/toast and hints of molasses. IBUs on their website at 60 and the bitterness is heavily roasted grains and not piney/resiny hops. ABV 9% so it's and imperial stout and the dark chocolate and cacao nibs are added along with cold-brewed Hatchet coffee. Absolutely delectable and highly recommended.

Another public thank you to fuse for parting with this gem!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2019, 5:12 pm

From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Edinbrue (month and date missing from can stamp but it was brewed in 18 )-Brueprint Brewing Company

Pint can (~$4) bought (all by myself without help from fuse ) before New Year's but never shared so it was all mind last PM .

It's a Scotch (style) ale that has slept in bourbon barrels for months and months.

Two equal aliquots of 8 ounces each over an hour from a shaped DFH pint glass. Mildly murky, dark amber without sediment. Wow, this is boozy along with caramel and a bit of smoke wafting from the glass. Tasting confirms this is quite boozy, along with some herbal/earthy hops, some peat, dark caramel, vanilla, oak/wood and toasted coconut. Rather warming at 9% ABV (I'd have thought 11% or more) and very mild on the palate at 19 IBUs. Maybe serve this with a steak or beef brisket? Maybe make it dessert? I like Catawba's BBA Hooligan better but this was quite good.

This is another Triangle area (Apex) brewery that has really improved since opening several years ago. I'd buy this again (and again ).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Black Watch (draft)-Highland Brewing Company

Half pint pour ($4). Onyx with a small, mocha head. This lives up to the memories of when I had this 2-3 years ago. Smells like Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownies and tastes like them, too. Almost chewy, fudgy consistency and amazingly smooth (oats in the grain bill) on the palate. Labeled at Bottle Revolution as a double chocolate milk stout also implies that lactose is added. IBUs about 50 I'd guess and the ABV is 8%, so this is an imperial milk stout. I actually like the Booneshine Long Winter Mocha Stout a shade better but this is still an excellent brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Roadside Prophet (draft)-New Anthem Beer Project

Two ounce taster because it's kinda/sorta local (Wilmington) and I had to try another beer with chilies .

Pour was dark mahogany with a foamy, beige head. Dark chocolate nose and a palate full of spices like vanilla and cinnamon (both added) which muted the mild heat of the chilies and blended nicely with the added chocolate. I'll guess IBUs of 60 and the ABV was 10.7%, both pretty standard for the imperial stout style. I'd certainly order a half pint of this if it's still available next week and sip it over 30-45 minutes to see if "warmed up" over that time. Made me think of Stone's Xocoveza.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2019, 7:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
May 3rd, 2017, 9:25 am
From 12/11/16:
devildeac wrote:From 1/16/16:

Bourbon Barrel Aged Midnight Brue 2016-Brueprint Brewing Company

Guess who got this bottle for me last month ?

Excellent summary/description, as usual. I didn't think it was so thick and thought the head was a bit thin as was the body and perhaps tasted a bit of dark chocolate, too. Whiskey notes are very smooth, maybe with a bit of vanilla, too. I'll guess IBUs of about 50 and the ABV is 8.5%, drinking a bit more boozey than that but on the low end for the imperial stout style. I think this was $12 for the capped bomber that I sipped over 2 nights. Likely their first effort at barrel-aging for their Bruetopian Series and a very high quality one, too. So much so that I can't wait for ricks68 to return to the area and slip the BBA cherry version of this back into my clutches where it rightfully belongs .

Thanks again to fuse.

From last PM:

BBA Midnight Brue 2016-Brueprint Brewing

After darn near a year in the fuse not-so-overloaded-anymore beer fridge.

Batting in the 5th spot. Same appearance as above but more whiskey-ish aromas and boozier on the palate, along with the expected dark fruits, a bit of coffee and a dollop of molasses. A bit thinner than Silent Night but still highly enjoyable.

And yes, there was a cornucopia of snacks, treats, desserts to accompany the tastings. They included a thick apple-berry relish, candied/spiced almonds, various cheeses and crackers, pistachio bars, salted caramel/chocolate Moravian cookies along with milk chocolate iced and dark chocolate brownies. I know I missed a few other items-those were just the ones I tasted . :ymblushing:
From Sunday and Monday nights:

Midnight Brue (2015)-Brueprint Brewing

Part 3 (or 4? or 5?). With yet another twist.

This is their annual/seasonal Russian imperial stout but this variant has been aged in oak barrels for a year (no mention of bourbon/rum/etc) and released late 2016, or thereabouts. And with Brettanomyces yeast. And blackberries. Oh, my!

From 1/10/19:

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Midnight Brue-Brueprint Brewing

Pint can ($4.50?) I bought on my own (!) and sipped over an hour last week. I think the recipe has changed a bit as the IBUs (35) are printed on the can now and the ABV is a bit increased at 9.2%, though not noticeably boozier. In fact, I thought this was a bit less bourbon-y than the BBA Edinbrue Scotch-style ale of theirs I had last week, too. Still a lot of dark chocolate and some vanilla, oak and toasted coconut on the palate, accompanying the expected lightly-charred grains. I'd rank this in the middle of all I've sipped from their barrel-aged Bruetopian series over the last years.

Pour was midnight (d'oh). One inch mocha head that disappeared fairly. Aromas of blackberries, wine, coffee and wood. Tastes of dark berries (double d'oh), fruited vinegar (moderately sour), interwoven with espresso, unsweetened chocolate, vanilla, dates, figs, and, I'll swear, finishing with a hint of bourbon. Estimated IBUs of 30-40 and the ABV on the label is 9.5%, so I divided the 500 ml portion over the last 2 night.

Humble and copious amounts of appreciation to fuse for procuring this at the brewery this winter for $8 for each bottle, IIRC. (Yes, I typed each.) A steal, given the ASSumption that if Wicked Weed had concocted this, it would have likely been $15+ for the 16.9 ounce bottle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 15th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Sow (canned on 12/14/2018 16:04:43)-Brewery Bhavana

Simple table beer printed on the can and listed as an Abbey single on the website. Not so simple after all.

Twelve ounces ($2.09) poured vigorously into a pint glass with a moderate, fizzy head that disappeared quickly. Color was pale straw. There must be some wheat in the grain bill because orange, bubblegum and clove aromas waft above the glass. My word, there's lemon on the palate in addition to the citrus, spice and gum, plus some apple, pear and a swizzle of honey. I'll guess IBUs about 20 from the Czech Saaz hops and the ABV is a highly crushable 4.2%. For a light-bodied ale, this is very flavorful and highly impressive.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Partisan Rock (11/08/18 printed on bottom of can)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Pint can (about $4) bought last week after passing it over last month. Why? It looked and sounded real tasty and SPBC has made some very good quality high gravity ales the last couple years and this was no different.

Poured aggressively and an oily (almost) black hue appeared in my snifter with a generous, creamy, latte-like head. Stuff smelled and tasted like liquid, dark chocolate fudge with some dark caramel and plum notes and hints of black strap molasses and coffee. IBUs in line with the style at 65 and the ABV was 11.5%, pushing the envelope for a non-barreled imperial stout. This would have been a nice share beer but I was quite content to sip for an hour and then amble upstairs for a nice winter's sleep.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Sprout (canned on 12/14/2018 09:19:07)-Brewery Bhavana

Sneaky fig dubbel ale (not quite sure what they mean by "sneaky" )

Poured vigorously from a ($2.29 ?) 12 ounce can into an oversized Ommegang tulip tonight. Medium to dark brown color and a bit cloudy with a modest, tan, fizzy head that disappeared fairly quickly. The nose and tastes rivaled many of the traditional Belgian dubbels I've sipped over the last couple decades. Quite the compliment. Dark, dried fruits take the lead and are followed by medium/dark brown sugar, a bit of rum and very mild herbal, earthy bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV is 7.6%. I'm not sure I could tell the added figs but the aromas and flavors were superb. Highly recommended.