Duke (22) vs VT (unranked, haha)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Duke (22) vs VT (unranked, haha)

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 23rd, 2018, 2:47 pm

The game is on ESPN2, which is nicer than ESPNU...a matter of pride. :)
VT not only won't have Jackson as their QB, they also will be without defensive end Trevon Hill, who got booted from the team last night.
Hill, a junior from Virginia Beach, was one of the Hokies' most effective defenders and one of just four returning starters from last season. He'd compiled 11 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and three QB hurries through three games, and he had 20 tackles for loss in his career.
Tha's big.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -hill-team
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke (22) vs VT (unranked, haha)

Post by lawgrad91 » September 24th, 2018, 9:22 am

https://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/sp ... a1f6e.html

Here’s the article about Trevon Hill from the Roanoke Times. It makes things sound like there’s trouble in Blacksburg’s Paradise. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 24th, 2018, 11:48 am

We are currently a 6 point favorite on most sites. Line movement may indicate that Josh Jackson will not play and potentially the return of Daniel Jones. The fact that he practiced in full pads last week makes me think this is definitely possible.

We had the same opportunity last year, 4-0 with a primetime night game against Miami to open conference play. That night did not go well and we were no match for them. This VT team is nowhere near as talented as that Miami team, but this Saturday is still a huge opportunity for the program to make a statement. The chance to be a top 20 team, 5-0 (1-0) entering our bye week. Hope to see a packed and rowdy Wallace-Wade on Saturday night.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2018, 12:08 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:We are currently a 6 point favorite on most sites. Line movement may indicate that Josh Jackson will not play and potentially the return of Daniel Jones. The fact that he practiced in full pads last week makes me think this is definitely possible.

We had the same opportunity last year, 4-0 with a primetime night game against Miami to open conference play. That night did not go well and we were no match for them. This VT team is nowhere near as talented as that Miami team, but this Saturday is still a huge opportunity for the program to make a statement. The chance to be a top 20 team, 5-0 (1-0) entering our bye week. Hope to see a packed and rowdy Wallace-Wade on Saturday night.
Sadly, I'd bet a majority of the attendees will look like this:

Hopefully, we send them home like this:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 24th, 2018, 5:39 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:We are currently a 6 point favorite on most sites. Line movement may indicate that Josh Jackson will not play and potentially the return of Daniel Jones.
Josh Jackson is confirmed out with a broken leg. He is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. I really hope we do not rush DJ back. I'd keep him out for VT as we have our bye week next so that is two more weeks to fully recover.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Bob Green wrote:
wolfpackdevil wrote:We are currently a 6 point favorite on most sites. Line movement may indicate that Josh Jackson will not play and potentially the return of Daniel Jones.
Josh Jackson is confirmed out with a broken leg. He is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. I really hope we do not rush DJ back. I'd keep him out for VT as we have our bye week next so that is two more weeks to fully recover.
Huge ditto. I have confidence in what Harris (and Katrenik, if needed) have shown.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 25th, 2018, 1:41 pm

HA! A quote from an article talking about the footsteps Harris will be following in. I'm crediting Section 21 for that, and Loran keeping it eternally alive from that day.
In a game that will forever be remembered by Duke fans as the inspiration behind the “Asack Drinking Game,” (fans take a sip of their beverage of choice for every designed quarterback run) Asack took the snap from the shotgun formation and ran up the middle on 24 of Duke’s 49 offensive plays.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/harris-lo ... /17872519/
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 26th, 2018, 7:24 am

Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 26th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Go Big or Go Home!

Prediction: Duke 31, Virginia Tech 21
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 26th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Bob Green wrote:Go Big or Go Home!

Prediction: Duke 31, Virginia Tech 21

Bold prediction, Bob. I'll go with:

Duke 28

Flightless birds 24
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 26th, 2018, 10:48 pm

I predict a busy night for our kickers. (And a Duke win, no idea on the score.)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2018, 9:10 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I predict a busy night for our kickers. (And a Duke win, no idea on the score.)
As long as it's Driggers and Wareham and not Parker, I'm fine. :-ss
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 27th, 2018, 10:28 am

Traditional Uniform combination for Saturday. White script helmets, blue jersey, white pants. This site is not a fan of alternate uniforms so I imagine this will go over well.

To be fair, our all-black combo against Miami in 2015 did not work. Neither did the Smoke Grey combo last year against Miami.
Attachments
DoG3SgqX0AEyksf.jpg
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 27th, 2018, 4:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bob Green wrote:
Huge ditto. I have confidence in what Harris (and Katrenik, if needed) have shown.
"While he’s missed Duke’s last two games, Jones shared repetitions in practice this week with Quentin Harris and Chris Katrenick."

“We are getting some complete medical information on Daniel,” Duke coach David Cutcliffe said Thursday. “I can’t tell you what I know except that he has practiced and done well.”

This is from the N&O today. Like it or not, these quotes give me the idea that he will be suited up and available to play Saturday. I agree that Quentin seems comfortable enough for it to make sense to keep DJ out two more weeks.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 28th, 2018, 7:45 am

wolfpackdevil wrote:Traditional Uniform combination for Saturday. White script helmets, blue jersey, white pants. This site is not a fan of alternate uniforms so I imagine this will go over well.
That's a good looking combination! B-)
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 29th, 2018, 7:43 am

Can Duke run the football?

I've stated multiple times Duke plays its best when balanced on offense. VT defense is limiting opponents to 88 yards per game rushing. If VT shuts down our running game, Quentin Harris will feel the pressure of having to win the game with his arm.

I believe the VT rushing defense stat is misleading. One, ODU threw the ball so successfully they didn't need to run. Two, William & Mary was completely over matched. Three, FSU offensive line sucks.

While I do not expect Duke to run all over VT, I do expect us to achieve enough success to open up the passing game. We have a lot of talent at running back and Quentin Harris can take off and run as well.
wolfpackdevil

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 29th, 2018, 10:56 am

Daniel Jones throws for 2 TD's. Jackson/Brown/Harris add a couple more. Our front 6 slows down VT's running game.

Duke 28

VT 17