Duke at Baylor

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Duke at Baylor

Post by Bob Green » September 9th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Duke is currently a 1.5 points underdog against Baylor. QB play/rotation will be the topic du jour this week. I'm 99 percent sure Quentin Harris will get the start but I hope Coach Cut and staff take a hard look at giving snaps to Gunnar Holmberg or Chris Katrenick. It will certainly be an interesting week at practice.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke at Baylor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 9th, 2018, 10:26 pm

At least we know our defense is dependable. Also, Baylor knows as much about our offense as the rest of us fans do; that isn't a bad thing.
I'm abstaining on a prediction this week. I'd be tempted to offer up Baylor's score, but I'd be guessing on defense only, and there is always the chance that they pick up a turnover pick 6.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 11th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Coach Cutcliffe expressed a lot of confidence in Quentin Harris during today's press conference. Of course, what else is he going to say. :-B

1. Quentin knows the offense.
2. Quentin prepares hard.
3. Quentin had zero cadence issues or miscues during the 4th quarter.
4. Quentin can throw the ball he just hasn't been asked to throw the ball. He is accurate and he can throw it deep.

Discussing the playbook, Coach Cutcliffe stated they will run the same offense but it will tailored to the stuff Quentin does well.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2018, 3:46 pm

I am not counting on being able to watch, but I at least hope to be able to listen.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Uniform:

White helmet with Duke in script, white jersey, white pants.

A very nice looking uniform.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 13th, 2018, 3:50 pm

I've went back and forth in my mind over what prediction to make for this game. Our defense is better than last season but so is their offense, while their defense is suspect but our quarterback is an unknown. Any prediction is a guess to a certain degree but this one feels like a total WAG:

Duke 27, Baylor 21.

I'll stick with the 6 point spread but it will be Duke on top.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 14th, 2018, 10:32 am

Jim Sumner on the quarterback situation:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/20 ... uarterback

A good read. Jim is providing a lot of quality football coverage at DBR.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Spotlight on Brittain Brown:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200

Nice video clip with game highlights and comments from Brown, running backs coach Boyette, center Zach Harmon and head coach David Cutcliffe.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 14th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Prediction: Duke 27, Baylor 21

I'll stick with the six point spread established in Vegas but Duke will come out on top.

Keys to the Game:

1. Duke will have to establish the passing game to set-up the run. Yes, this is the opposite of what I always say but, with Quentin Harris starting I expect Baylor will load the box to stop our running game. Harris is going to have to prove he is an accurate passer to loosen up the Baylor defense.

2. After some successful pass plays, give Baylor a steady dose of Brittain Brown and Deon Jackson mixing in pass plays to keep the Bears defense off balance. Duke is best when the offense is balanced so it is important to achieve balance.

3. The defensive line and linebackers must pressure the Baylor quarterback. With the speed Baylor has at wide receiver, QBs Charlie Brewer and Jalan McClendon cannot be allowed to sit in the pocket and go through their progressions.

4. Speed kills! The defensive backs have to understand this against Baylor and keep those speedy wide receivers in front of them. If those gazelles get behind our defense, watch out.

The main thing I will be looking for tomorrow is a great big S on Quentin Harris' chest! That S does not stand for Superman; it does not stand for Spectacular; it stands for Solid. A solid performance from Harris will result in a win for Duke.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 15th, 2018, 8:29 pm

I'm happy :duke:
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » September 18th, 2018, 10:36 am

Wow. Unbelievable performance by our guys Saturday. I would like to formally apologize to Mr. Cutcliffe and Mr. Harris for doubting their ability to put together an offensive game plan the way they did. After a shaky first quarter, Quentin settled in and made some very confident throws throughout the game. Credit to Zac Roper, who schemed two great TD passes to TJ Rahming.

Credit to our defensive line who continue to play lights out. Our secondary stepped up once again while facing adversity. The attitude of this team has been tougher than many Duke teams I have watched in my life. These guys aren't worried about injuries, the next man steps up with the same attitude and physicality of the man that they replaced.

Sensational win by a team who could have folded and not been criticized for it. What a game.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 18th, 2018, 11:05 am

wolfpackdevil wrote:Wow. Unbelievable performance by our guys Saturday. I would like to formally apologize to Mr. Cutcliffe and Mr. Harris for doubting their ability to put together an offensive game plan the way they did. After a shaky first quarter, Quentin settled in and made some very confident throws throughout the game. Credit to Zac Roper, who schemed two great TD passes to TJ Rahming.

Credit to our defensive line who continue to play lights out. Our secondary stepped up once again while facing adversity. The attitude of this team has been tougher than many Duke teams I have watched in my life. These guys aren't worried about injuries, the next man steps up with the same attitude and physicality of the man that they replaced.

Sensational win by a team who could have folded and not been criticized for it. What a game.
THIS all day long!!!