3. Butter Bean Pods
Cayenne Peppers and Okra2.jpg
Okra 2018A.jpg
Butter Bean Pods2.jpg
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Gardening discussion

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 3rd, 2018, 3:30 pm

Beautiful! Our garden is lost to the weeds. We didn't have a chance to take care of,we needed to take care of our Harley. For almost 2 weeks straight, we had to take him to the pet hospital. That's ok, Harley is way more important. We are getting a few tomatoes. The vines were loaded when we left. When we came back, the vines had a few small ones. I guess someone picked them.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » July 12th, 2018, 5:48 pm

What's for dinner? Fried okra fresh from the garden.
Okra[1].jpg
Okra[2].jpg
Okra[3].jpg
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 14th, 2018, 7:01 am

I love okra. I don’t batter mine. It looks like yours isn’t either. IMO, that’s the best way to cook it.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 14th, 2018, 9:49 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I love okra. I don’t batter mine. It looks like yours isn’t either. IMO, that’s the best way to cook it.
Yep, mine isn't battered. I just fry it in oil with black pepper then salt immediately after removing it from the pan.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 15th, 2018, 7:14 am

I picked my first butter beans this morning. My vines had a lot of aphids on them but I attacked them by spraying a soapy water solution on them around four times and the aphids all but disappeared. The vines are looking much better with lots of little flowers starting to pop up all over so I am optimistic there will be plenty of pods in the near future.
BB Pods.jpg
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 28th, 2018, 12:35 pm

What's for lunch? How about fried okra with a red jalapeno pepper chopped up and added to the pan.
Okra & Red Jalapeno.jpg
Hmm, hmm good!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 11th, 2018, 8:29 am

My garden is dwindling but still producing okra, tomatoes, chili peppers and eggplant. I cut down my butter bean vines this morning, which were a disappointment as were my long beans. It was not a good year for beans. Yellow squash and zucchini were a total bust.

But this morning, Flora is frying bacon and I'm going to have a nice BLT for breakfast made with a garden fresh Cherokee Purple tomato from my backyard.

Mm, Mm good!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » August 11th, 2018, 9:06 am

Pictures:
Cherokee Purple Tomato.jpg
Star of the show
BLT.jpg
Finished product
I had good timing as I used the two end pieces of bread. The end pieces are my favorite. B-)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 11th, 2018, 10:32 am

Our garden has been a disappointment this year, too. Maybe it's because we had too much rain?

Not to be deterred, I placed an order for 100 daffodil bulbs this morning. I'm going to have a flower garden next spring!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 23rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

I've been messing around in my garden plots, turning over soil and adding some fertilizer. This afternoon I started transplanting green bean plants I grew from seed in peat pots to larger containers...30 minutes working in the yard followed by 30 minutes surfing the internet and watching TV...

...gardening is hard work so I've retired for the day and am presently drinking a beer and watching basketball.

I'll be back at it tomorrow.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2019, 5:26 pm

Nice Bob! I've been doing same in my pots, getting rid of last year's skeletons and fertilizing/replenishing dirt. Just transplated some green bell peppers, and some future ABTs. :)
Also, a rosemary. I am on a mission to keep rosemary alive all winter. I had two thyme plants survive this past one.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 26th, 2019, 9:52 am

When I came home for lunch yesterday, I was surprised to find out that Jon had gone over to Lowes and purchased black cow and more soil. He cleared out the garden beds, hand-tilled in the new soil, and put in peas, tomatoes, squash (yellow and zucchini), peppers, basil and mint (in a pot on the porch so it won't take over).

It all looked really good. I can't wait to see our little seeds burst forth in about 8 or 9 days!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 26th, 2019, 11:55 am

I have a couple things I am going to do from seed, but mostly I wuss out and buy them already growing. I like to get the small pots that have 2 or three plants growing, that way I get them at least BOGO. They don't like me very much when I separate them at their roots, but within a day or two they bounce back.

I do have lots of volunteers popping up from seed, and I let those grow too.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 27th, 2019, 2:48 pm

I forgot the onions. Jon planted two rows of onions.

~ James Naismith
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » March 28th, 2019, 4:45 am

This weekend I need to restring my trellis and transplant green beans I grew from seed in the house. The plants already have runners but I'm still worried it is getting too cold at night.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » April 7th, 2019, 6:42 am

I transplanted okra plants grown inside the house into the garden and put additional okra seed into the ground. I bought starter plants at Norfolk County Seed and Feed where they sell their plants in trays of 3 for $1.89 compared to $3.78 for each plant at Lowe's. Fifteen starter plants cost me $10.02 including tax.

I planted three Early Girl tomatoes into the ground, three Long Red Cayenne pepper plants into pots, an Asian Eggplant into the ground and two in pots. I have three more Asian Eggplants and three Green Bell pepper plants to plant today.

I had a tree cut down in my backyard a couple of years ago and the guy who cut it down admired my garden and asked me where I bought my plants. When I told him Lowe's, he told me about Norfolk County Seed and Feed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 7th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Bob Green wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 6:42 am
I transplanted okra plants grown inside the house into the garden and put additional okra seed into the ground. I bought starter plants at Norfolk County Seed and Feed where they sell their plants in trays of 3 for $1.89 compared to $3.78 for each plant at Lowe's. Fifteen starter plants cost me $10.02 including tax.

I planted three Early Girl tomatoes into the ground, three Long Red Cayenne pepper plants into pots, an Asian Eggplant into the ground and two in pots. I have three more Asian Eggplants and three Green Bell pepper plants to plant today.

I had a tree cut down in my backyard a couple of years ago and the guy who cut it down admired my garden and asked me where I bought my plants. When I told him Lowe's, he told me about Norfolk County Seed and Feed.
Norfolk County Feed and Seed is AWESOME. A cool mom and pop store that has been in Portsmouth for a lot of decades. My BFF whose husband works for a different nursery goes there to buy her (numerous) plants, even though she could get them for free from her husband’s company. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » April 28th, 2019, 8:55 am

I went back to Norfolk County Feed and Seed yesterday and bought three Yellow Crooked Neck squash plants. My garden is off to a nice start...now I need the magic combination of warm sunshine and gentle rain to nourish those plants to fruition.