Five things you'd save in a fire...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Five things you'd save in a fire...

Post by windsor » October 14th, 2013, 9:30 pm

The house is on fire. Assume that your important papers are tucked in safe deposit box and all living things are safely out.

Five things...what to do you grab.

I'm thinking....

1. My little antique jewelry box because it holds a few pieces from my great grandmother's, and my grandmother's...including the necklace my namesake wore (she died during WWI ) at her wedding 1910, my grandmother (her daughter) wore at her wedding...and my mother...and me....
2. my (late) father's ring
3. Basketball autographed by the 77/78 duke team.
4 Apollo mission patches that actually flew on the flights.
5. Antique chair rush bottom chair (child size) - my paternal grandmother's family (see 'Legend of Grammy' in LTE) were furniture makers. The chair was made for Grammy's grand mother (my 3rd great grand mother) and gets passed to the first born. when they have their first born.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Five things you'd save in a fire...

Post by CathyCA » October 14th, 2013, 10:30 pm

I'd do a "Dolley Madison" and grab my kids' oil portraits off the wall.

I might grab photo albums. I'm trying to get as many of my photos in online albums so that I will never have to think of grabbing anything when I leave. I even took pictures of my kids' homemade Christmas ornaments and put them in an album on FB.

I think that between the portraits and the photo albums, I'd have five things.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 14th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Definitely, Like Cathy ---- photos and videos. No question. Oh, and an audio tape if our wedding and of Mandy at age two singing "In them old cotton fields back home."

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 15th, 2013, 7:10 am

I scanned the pictures I wouldn't want to lose a while back...they are stored on DVDs in the safe deposit box, and my mother has a copy. All the old family movies are digitized as well.

My neighbors house burned to the ground (no one home, no one hurt...even the cat got out) and they lost all the family photos/movies etc (they had 4 kids...in fact it was FSU former player Luke Loucks' house) that was the inspiration for digitizing everything.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 23rd, 2013, 3:31 pm

I'm going to assume that any such event will occur after I've digitized all my photos so I'm not going to list photo albums which would be at the top of the list otherwise.

OK

1) My largest knitting bag.
2) Do my signed first editions count as one item? If so, my Robertson Davies, Michael Ondaatje, Alice Walker, Nick Hornby, Jumpa Lahiri, and Ethan Hawke (yes, I have an autographed first edition of "The Hottest State") books.
3) Autographed poster from the '91 Championship team.
4) Kevin Youkilis autographed baseball.
5) Birthday card signed by Johnny Boychuk and Chris Kelly.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 25th, 2013, 7:55 pm

1. Kelly
2. Rider
3. Soleil
4. Mia
5. Allegra

:D
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 28th, 2013, 5:39 pm

I'm taking bostondevil's idea about digitized photos (and the vast majority of my really important ones really are already digitized anyway).

1. Tlingit wall carving that Amelia (my wife...shit, a lot has happened since the last time I posted) and I got on our honeymoon
2. Kitchen hutch that belonged to my grandparents
3. My t-shirts...I'm counting them as one item :tease: ...they're really a chronicle of my life in a lot of ways
4. The pen-and-ink drawing that was the first thing Amelia ever gave me and served as the design basis for my wedding ring
5. Big round coffee table that was in my childhood home and is now part of my furniture collection

This leaves out so much art and a burgeoning antique collection. This would be very hard for me.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 28th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Wilson. . .

WELCOME BACK to CTN!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 28th, 2013, 8:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:Wilson. . .

WELCOME BACK to CTN!

Thanks! It's good to be back.