Need help from the computer folks...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Need help from the computer folks...

Post by bjornolf » May 17th, 2012, 4:23 pm

My dell laptop is acting strangely. It has a light on the power cord that lights up when it has power. When I plug it into the wall, it lights up fine, but when I plug the other end into the computer, the light goes out immediately, and I can't get the computer to power up, as the battery is dead. It was working fine yesterday. Any ideas?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Need help from the computer folks...

Post by bjornolf » May 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm

For information purposes, the battery's tester says that it is fully functional. Thinking I might need a new motherboard.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » May 17th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Hmmm.... Never saw that behavior before. Just replaced Mrs. Turk's dell laptop battery a few months back, but in that case the battery wasn't holding a charge and there was a screen popup that said, "Hey you big dummy, your battery is only MOSTLY dead but the only thing Miracle Max can do is replace it."

I would just go with trial and error: 1) see if you can borrow / buy another dell power cord; if it works then there's your problem, and it fits the symptoms you describe (however rare and unlikely they seem). 2) If you get the same (lack of) behavior with a different power cord, then I'd try to find a docking station somewhere to try and rule out the jack on the side where the power cord plugs in. Anything beyond that is too depressing to even consider... Good luck!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 17th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Turk wrote:Hmmm.... Never saw that behavior before. Just replaced Mrs. Turk's dell laptop battery a few months back, but in that case the battery wasn't holding a charge and there was a screen popup that said, "Hey you big dummy, your battery is only MOSTLY dead but the only thing Miracle Max can do is replace it."

I would just go with trial and error: 1) see if you can borrow / buy another dell power cord; if it works then there's your problem, and it fits the symptoms you describe (however rare and unlikely they seem). 2) If you get the same (lack of) behavior with a different power cord, then I'd try to find a docking station somewhere to try and rule out the jack on the side where the power cord plugs in. Anything beyond that is too depressing to even consider... Good luck!
Agreed. Any pc shop will have at least a universal adapter they could test with, and if they come up with the same results then most likely your guess is correct...dead mobo and time for a new laptop. Bright side is that your hard drive would be fine, so you haven't lost any data, just programs.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 19th, 2012, 12:27 am

I'd go with problem with the power cord - we have had 3 different Dell laptops, and each one of the three had the power supply glitch out. You can find a replacement on their site, or on eBay.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 20th, 2012, 6:25 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:I'd go with problem with the power cord - we have had 3 different Dell laptops, and each one of the three had the power supply glitch out. You can find a replacement on their site, or on eBay.
But the battery is fully charged, and it won't start up with the battery either.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 20th, 2012, 11:14 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:I'd go with problem with the power cord - we have had 3 different Dell laptops, and each one of the three had the power supply glitch out. You can find a replacement on their site, or on eBay.
But the battery is fully charged, and it won't start up with the battery either.
That is not good. :-o :( 8-X
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 21st, 2012, 8:05 am

bjornolf wrote:
Open the back, take out the memory. Put the memory back in, and try it once more. If you get the same results, it's a dead Dell. :skull: :eusa-violin:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 21st, 2012, 8:53 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Open the back, take out the memory. Put the memory back in, and try it once more. If you get the same results, it's a dead Dell. :skull: :eusa-violin:
And take the battery out and re-seat it, too!

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2012, 10:06 am

So, if it's dead, what should I get?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 21st, 2012, 10:21 am

bjornolf wrote:So, if it's dead, what should I get?
Look at Costco (and/or Sam's Club) so it's easy to change your mind and take it back if you don't like it! Costco doubles the warranty to two years for free.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 21st, 2012, 10:33 am

bjornolf wrote:So, if it's dead, what should I get?
Anything but another Dell.
Turk

Post by Turk » May 21st, 2012, 11:12 am

At work, we're switching over from Dells to HP.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2012, 11:38 am

I always loved Dell. I have an eight year old Inspiron that's now slow as dirt because it wasn't made to support XP with SP 3 or whatever they're up to now, but it still works. I also have a Dell desktop that's 10 years old. Same deal. This one is only three years old, though. I want something that'll last like mymold Dells, not a Ferrari that'll die in three years. So, what happened to Dell?

I've looked at HP, Fujitsu, and Toshiba. Any ideas? What about Origin or Alienware? They seem a little pricey. Oh, and I'm a touch typist, so I want a "real" keyboard. My wife's Mac's keyboard drives me nuts, and my friend tells me the Sony Vaio's are similar.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 21st, 2012, 1:49 pm

bjornolf wrote:I always loved Dell. I have an eight year old Inspiron that's now slow as dirt because it wasn't made to support XP with SP 3 or whatever they're up to now, but it still works. I also have a Dell desktop that's 10 years old. Same deal. This one is only three years old, though. I want something that'll last like mymold Dells, not a Ferrari that'll die in three years. So, what happened to Dell?

I've looked at HP, Fujitsu, and Toshiba. Any ideas? What about Origin or Alienware? They seem a little pricey. Oh, and I'm a touch typist, so I want a "real" keyboard. My wife's Mac's keyboard drives me nuts, and my friend tells me the Sony Vaio's are similar.
You hit it...they used to make good computers and then something happened. I see more Dells in our shop for repairs, and that's not because they sold that many more..proportionally the numbers don't work out. I will give them credit for good design..they have always made opening a computer and replacing parts quite easy.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » May 21st, 2012, 4:17 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I always loved Dell. I have an eight year old Inspiron that's now slow as dirt because it wasn't made to support XP with SP 3 or whatever they're up to now, but it still works. I also have a Dell desktop that's 10 years old. Same deal. This one is only three years old, though. I want something that'll last like mymold Dells, not a Ferrari that'll die in three years. So, what happened to Dell?

You hit it...they used to make good computers and then something happened. I see more Dells in our shop for repairs, and that's not because they sold that many more..proportionally the numbers don't work out. I will give them credit for good design..they have always made opening a computer and replacing parts quite easy.
I live down the road from Dell HQ and one big change is that there's almost no manufacturing done here any more, it's all overseas. Not that overseas stuff has to be crap, but historically it's a change. Also I believe there's been some management/policy changes in the intervening time. Just my vague 2 cents.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm

Mr Windsor and I have been very happy with our HPs. My daughters Toshiba is a POS.
I would visit your local big box and play with them to see what you like the feel of.

I would never buy one from Sam's or Costco...the discount retailers offerings are usually one or two generations behind what is current. I build/buy mine direct. Do not skimp on the processors.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2012, 8:04 pm

One of my friends is a HUGE Fujitsu fan, and is trying to convince me to go that route, as, according to him, "it's the only one still made in Japan."
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 21st, 2012, 8:34 pm

When my computer died, I took CB&B over to BestBuy and had him pick out the best computer for me. If I recall, our major discussion was about processors, and I went for the Intel processor. I used to live near Intel, and I liked the people who worked there.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 21st, 2012, 9:56 pm

I know what a solid state drive is vs. spinning hard drive, but are there any DISADVANTAGES to them?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...