an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 12th, 2012, 7:56 pm

It's a good thing you're neither vindictive nor devious, because if you were either you'd figure out some way to have this come back and at least embarrass them, if not bite them all in their unprofessional asses. :ymdevil:

What's doing with your latest situation?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 12th, 2012, 8:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:It's a good thing you're neither vindictive nor devious, because if you were either you'd figure out some way to have this come back and at least embarrass them, if not bite them all in their unprofessional asses. :ymdevil:

What's doing with your latest situation?
Believe me, I thought about it quite seriously. I figured PHB has embarrassed himself enough by putting his name on something that is so blatantly and completely wrong. Words cannot express how bad this paper is - if possible, it's even worse than their last joint effort. There's a part of me that wants to download the data from the public repository, prove that it's wrong, and report their data falsifying asses to the NIH. This particular project is supported by the NIH, and PPI reported these results to them in either an update or a re-application. I can't remember which. Dude actually got money from the NIH based on this garbage.

The problem is that I have no solid evidence whatsoever of willful fraud aside from my intuition based upon personal knowledge of the situation. If I could prove it, though, PHB in particular would go down in flames. PPI and Minion are bullet-proof; they can claim to have trusted in PHB's expertise. PHB would then retaliate by doing a complete hatchet job on me with all of his influential friends. I may have truth on my side, but he's the one with the powerful, influential drinking buddies. I'll just have to see what I can do through other channels... :ymdevil:

The new job is going okay, most of the time. I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, as my dad is fond of saying. Any time I get frustrated with things, I remind myself that my new coworkers may be a lot of things but they're not data falsifiers.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 12th, 2012, 8:23 pm

What's the turnaround time like in that journal?
I'm thinking they submitted the article while you were still there.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 12th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Lavabe wrote:What's the turnaround time like in that journal?
I'm thinking they submitted the article while you were still there.
I'm thinking you are correct, sir. Moreover, I'm thinking this paper might be part of the reason that PHB removed me from the PPI/Minion project. The timing is right, and I think he knew I'd cause trouble. My conversation with PHB about the analysis in their newest fraudulent paper occurred shortly before I was completely removed from the project. PPI had mentioned this paper in a meeting, and I talked to PHB immediately after the meeting. Based upon some things I overheard, I think they were working on this paper while waiting to hear back from the first fraudulent paper.

As I said, I'd love to call them out. What might be even more fun is to make more people in my field look at this paper. It's published in a journal that's not a mainstream journal in PHB's field (or mine), so most people who would recognize this work as garbage are not going to see it. I'd love to find a way to make that particular population take a look. I suspect that PHB is counting on that NOT happening. If I could find a way to make this a must-read paper (anonymously, of course), things could get very interesting for PHB. :ymdevil:

ETA: I still have the necessary information for reporting scientific misconduct at my former place of employment.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 13th, 2012, 12:12 am

A couple of points:

1. You are not "Just a chemist" - you are a Chemist with Integrity!

2. Just sit back and wait - remember that Karma is a b!tch.

3. You know how the more often an article is searched the higher up on the search. Is there anything we can do to to help this article move up the list so people with knowledge see it?
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 13th, 2012, 8:33 am

Sometimes the best thing you can do with a steaming pile of :poo: :poo: is hold your nose and walk away. Don't risk getting any poo on you.

DinK is right, Karma is a bitch. She moves slowly somtimes, but she always gets you in the end.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 13th, 2012, 10:03 am

It isn't how many times people HIT the article; it's how many times they cite it.
Things will hit the fan when someone tries to cite, replicate, or make use of the article. I sure hope that no one tries to apply the paper to something in the medical field. :|
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 17th, 2012, 10:18 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:A couple of points:

3. You know how the more often an article is searched the higher up on the search. Is there anything we can do to to help this article move up the list so people with knowledge see it?
Has anyone ever had one of those days at church when a sermon speaks to them? I had that happen today. The message was a very emphatic, "Let go of things that are holding you back and have faith that God will deal with them in his time." (In other words, Karma is a bitch.) As you said, DinK, and windsor echoed, sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away. It's time for me to do that.

Thinking in terms of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," I'm worrying about something over which I have no control, and my efforts could be better spent elsewhere. Minion, PHB, and PPI want to risk their reputations by falsifying data? There's really nothing I can do to control their behavior. I tried once; obviously my actions didn't influence them to change their ways as evidenced by their most recent publication. Hopefully, sometime, somewhere, their actions will come back and bite them in their collective asses. From here on out, I will focus on doing my best at my current job and stop obsessing over things I cannot control, like scientific fraud condoned in my former place of employment. That's why I got the heck out of there, and this current episode just serves to confirm that I made the right move. So, sayonara, suckers. Here's hoping Karma visits you soon. :Angry Orc:
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 17th, 2012, 10:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Has anyone ever had one of those days at church when a sermon speaks to them? I had that happen today. The message was a very emphatic, "Let go of things that are holding you back and have faith that God will deal with them in his time." (In other words, Karma is a bitch.) As you said, DinK, and windsor echoed, sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away. It's time for me to do that.

Thinking in terms of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," I'm worrying about something over which I have no control, and my efforts could be better spent elsewhere. Minion, PHB, and PPI want to risk their reputations by falsifying data? There's really nothing I can do to control their behavior. I tried once; obviously my actions didn't influence them to change their ways as evidenced by their most recent publication. Hopefully, sometime, somewhere, their actions will come back and bite them in their collective asses. From here on out, I will focus on doing my best at my current job and stop obsessing over things I cannot control, like scientific fraud condoned in my former place of employment. That's why I got the heck out of there, and this current episode just serves to confirm that I made the right move. So, sayonara, suckers. Here's hoping Karma visits you soon. :Angry Orc:

I love those sermons - except when I hate them because they hit too close to home. :ymblushing:

I just discussed something similar this evening. I had an issue with someone (actually 2) and finally decided the only thing I could do was pray for them. I wasn't going to change their minds and I needed to find some peace with the situation. I prayed that they be able to find peace in their lives. (I knew that at least one of them was extremely unhappy in their life and that was playing a role in their attitude in all areas of their life.) It may have made no difference in their lives but it helped me reach a sense of peace with everything. I couldn't change their minds/hearts - just mine.
Last edited by DukieInKansas on June 17th, 2012, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 17th, 2012, 10:25 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: So, sayonara, suckers.
Welcome to the rest of your life! And Happy Birthday one more time! :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: B-) :9f:

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » June 19th, 2012, 9:12 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

This is perhaps one of the most important messages or themes for living life as well as possible: Learn to step away from those factors one can't control. It's a deceptively simple principle that can make a tremendous difference in the quality and effectiveness of one's life. ;;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2019, 7:22 am

Man, just when you think a problem will go away...

I was at a meeting on Friday with one of my 2 bosses and a post doc in his lab, in which we were discussing our current manuscript. The target journal is a certain journal with a one-word name that accepted our last paper. In this meeting, I learned that the post doc altered the tables I had spent DAYS working on. He combined 3 tables from completely different experiments into a single table, without even talking to me about it. When I say 3 experiments, I mean that 2 of the experiments were completely unrelated to the first because one was whole organ, two were different cell types within the organ. His rationale was that they talk about all of these experiments together in the text. I was so stunned I said nothing.

I need to have at least one, if not two, very difficult conversations today. Please send lots of vibes. I plan to ask why they have so little respect for me that they think it’s okay to alter my data without talking with me, because I already told them I was not comfortable with manipulating the data in this way. I’m not sure who to start with, but I think it needs to be the post doc.He asked said multiple times that he wanted to do this, and I said every time that it was not an acceptable thing to do. So, he went behind my back and got the PI’s permission to alter my data. There may be a way to compromise, but compromises can’t happen if one party is left out of the process completely.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 5th, 2019, 8:52 am

I would concentrate on the WHY rather than the WHAT (why it is a bad idea to combine them) vs. WHAT the F. Is the matter with you

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Sending vibes!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 5th, 2019, 9:26 am

Nip it in the bud!

DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 5th, 2019, 10:11 am

Thinking of you - good luck!
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2019, 10:26 am

Thanks, all! I talked with the PI first. He said it had gone over his head and that I was right. In other words, he was generally supportive. He gave the option of talking to the postdoc himself or me doing it. I said I would and am now thinking I should have both of them in the meeting.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2019, 11:23 am

You should have both of them in the meeting.

Stand firm. It's your integrity at stake here.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 5th, 2019, 11:50 am

CathyCA wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 11:23 am
You should have both of them in the meeting.

Stand firm. It's your integrity at stake here.

I echo my fellow barrister. Have them both there, and stand your ground.

Vibes and prayers, my sista.

Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2019, 6:57 pm

So, the PI talked to the postdoc, who then came and talked to me. I completely misunderstood what he did, and it was nowhere near as bad as he made it sound in the meeting. (He said table when he had created multiple separate sheets in an excel workbook.) All is well. Whew!

If I had talked to the postdoc first, as was my original intent, I could’ve cleared things up more quickly. However, now they both know that I need to be kept in the loop on changes with my data. That is the best outcome.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 5th, 2019, 9:31 pm

AD, that sounds really positive.
Iron Duke #1471997.