an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by windsor » August 17th, 2011, 10:37 am

ArkieDukie wrote:PPI and Minion stopped by the lab today. Fortunately, I was talking on the phone at the time. He stuck his head in to say thank you to me, which I found interesting.

I sent another e-mail to him today in order to mention another inconsistency in the manuscript. I kept the tone nice, neutral, and passive. Details of inconsistency: let's say that you were doing some work in order to provide additional data for a manuscript, and the type of analysis you were doing was identical to something that was in the previous draft of the manuscript. Would you a) do it the way that it was done previously in order to be consistent, or b) do it a completely different way? If you chose b), sorry, but you think like The Minion. It absolutely boggles my mind. Why the heck would you make a point of doing a repeat analysis and then do the calculations differently? IMO it looks sloppy to do this sort of thing. I didn't say that to Pushy PI, though. I'll let him connect the dots to that point. It's not a particularly challenging line to draw.

That is your best tactic as long as you have PPI's ear...put the dots close together and let him connect them. People don't get defensive when they think they thought of it...
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 17th, 2011, 10:52 am

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:PPI and Minion stopped by the lab today. Fortunately, I was talking on the phone at the time. He stuck his head in to say thank you to me, which I found interesting.

I sent another e-mail to him today in order to mention another inconsistency in the manuscript. I kept the tone nice, neutral, and passive. Details of inconsistency: let's say that you were doing some work in order to provide additional data for a manuscript, and the type of analysis you were doing was identical to something that was in the previous draft of the manuscript. Would you a) do it the way that it was done previously in order to be consistent, or b) do it a completely different way? If you chose b), sorry, but you think like The Minion. It absolutely boggles my mind. Why the heck would you make a point of doing a repeat analysis and then do the calculations differently? IMO it looks sloppy to do this sort of thing. I didn't say that to Pushy PI, though. I'll let him connect the dots to that point. It's not a particularly challenging line to draw.

That is your best tactic as long as you have PPI's ear...put the dots close together and let him connect them. People don't get defensive when they think they thought of it...
AD, would you do the (same) analysis in a different way to confirm the data you previously gathered, sort of as an independent confirmation ? Or is this a different but similar analysis where consistency of results with the first experiment, including techniques and methodology, really desirable? I think you're saying it's the second case, but I want to confirm.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 17th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Lurking daily and paying attention to all of your reactions. So glad everyone else is still wary. 'Cause I sure am. Don't let down your guard, Arkie. This ain't over til it's over.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 20th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Must be nothing but chirping crickets from PPI and the Minion.

I hope your next posts details a new dilemma: Whether to hire the 4 or 6 piece band to come to the lab and perform "Take This Job and Shove It"
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 20th, 2011, 6:16 pm

windsor wrote:Must be nothing but chirping crickets from PPI and the Minion.

I hope your next posts details a new dilemma: Whether to hire the 4 or 6 piece band to come to the lab and perform "Take This Job and Shove It"
=)) =)) :ymdevil:

Nothing but crickets! Probably won't hear from them until my boss returns from his vacation.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 3rd, 2011, 7:57 pm

Today, on my first day back at work after vacation, I received an e-mail from PPI, letting me know that their manuscript had been accepted for publication. I looked online at the journal website and, sure enough, the paper is there. I just read through it, and it appears that they actually did fix the problems I had with the manuscript. One thing that annoys me: they added me to the Acknowledgments section. I wish they had just left me off, especially considering the wording of the acknowledgment. It seriously diminished my role in the project. All things considered, though, that's better than the alternative. The Minion's weak analytical work is still there, so no one can accuse me of being a part of her sloppy analysis.

One nice thing about PPI's e-mail message: he thanked me again for my apology and gave one of his own. He admitted that I had good suggestions for the data analysis and presentation that he ignored in his "zeal for the work." He also said that my suggestions ultimately strengthened the paper. How's that for a mea culpa? Yet again, PPI comes out looking much better than The Minion and PHB.

I have not yet responded to his message and am still contemplating how to do so. Suggestions would be welcome, as always. "Who's the asshole" says that a gracious, congratulatory response is in order, I think. You have no idea how much I'd love to take this opportunity to completely go off on The Minion, which is why I haven't responded yet.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 3rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Today, on my first day back at work after vacation, I received an e-mail from PPI, letting me know that their manuscript had been accepted for publication. I looked online at the journal website and, sure enough, the paper is there. I just read through it, and it appears that they actually did fix the problems I had with the manuscript. One thing that annoys me: they added me to the Acknowledgments section. I wish they had just left me off, especially considering the wording of the acknowledgment. It seriously diminished my role in the project. All things considered, though, that's better than the alternative. The Minion's weak analytical work is still there, so no one can accuse me of being a part of her sloppy analysis.

One nice thing about PPI's e-mail message: he thanked me again for my apology and gave one of his own. He admitted that I had good suggestions for the data analysis and presentation that he ignored in his "zeal for the work." He also said that my suggestions ultimately strengthened the paper. How's that for a mea culpa? Yet again, PPI comes out looking much better than The Minion and PHB.

I have not yet responded to his message and am still contemplating how to do so. Suggestions would be welcome, as always. "Who's the asshole" says that a gracious, congratulatory response is in order, I think. You have no idea how much I'd love to take this opportunity to completely go off on The Minion, which is why I haven't responded yet.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Given the circumstances, that's as good as you could reasonably expect. At least one person listened, in terms of the manuscript. the BIGGEST thing is that this doesn't harm your writing record.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 4th, 2011, 5:32 am

Most importantly...
ArkieDukie wrote: The Minion's weak analytical work is still there, so no one can accuse me of being a part of her sloppy analysis.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 4th, 2011, 8:04 am

I concur with Lavabe...that is probably as good as it is going to get. Given your current job quest I would resist the temptation to ruffle any feathers and graciously accept PPIs apology - making sure to forward his e-mail to an offiste account (as well as your reply). The Minion Bus Toss will need to wait for another, brighter day.

Carry On! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 4th, 2011, 9:34 pm

At least the PPI realized that you had legitimate concerns and did something about it. You should feel great that you stuck to your guns and held them to a higher standard. I doubt that Minion or PHB will ever figure out how you saved their bacon.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 4th, 2011, 9:39 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:At least the PPI realized that you had legitimate concerns and did something about it. You should feel great that you stuck to your guns and held them to a higher standard. I doubt that Minion or PHB will ever figure out how you saved their bacon.
I suspect that PHB knows, but he will never admit it. His ego will not allow it. The Minion, however, is not smart enough to realize it. She probably still thinks I was being unreasonable. That's fine with me. I seriously hope that PHB and PPI in particular are more skeptical about The Minion's data analysis from here on out. Unfortunately, I doubt that they will be. Fortunately, it's not my problem. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 5th, 2011, 3:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:At least the PPI realized that you had legitimate concerns and did something about it. You should feel great that you stuck to your guns and held them to a higher standard. I doubt that Minion or PHB will ever figure out how you saved their bacon.
I suspect that PHB knows, but he will never admit it. His ego will not allow it. The Minion, however, is not smart enough to realize it. She probably still thinks I was being unreasonable. That's fine with me. I seriously hope that PHB and PPI in particular are more skeptical about The Minion's data analysis from here on out. Unfortunately, I doubt that they will be. Fortunately, it's not my problem. :ymdevil:
On your very last day there (or as close to that as is practical) you pull the PPI aside (in person). You lean in to them (because you are going to be speak VERY softly) and thank PPI for recognizing your concerns and then say something like "look, in the future please keep an eye on minions data analysis - I won't be here to go behind her and double check anymore...and I really don't want anything to be submitted that might embrass the lab...just keep your eyes open be skeptical if anything looks a little off" ...follow with the standard nice to work with you see you around stuff...wish PPI the best of luck (throw in your best 'you poor bastard' look) and walk away with smile....while humming 'the wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round - ok maybe don't hum.)
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 5th, 2011, 5:45 pm

windsor wrote: On your very last day there (or as close to that as is practical) you pull the PPI aside (in person). You lean in to them (because you are going to be speak VERY softly) and thank PPI for recognizing your concerns and then say something like "look, in the future please keep an eye on minions data analysis - I won't be here to go behind her and double check anymore...and I really don't want anything to be submitted that might embrass the lab...just keep your eyes open be skeptical if anything looks a little off" ...follow with the standard nice to work with you see you around stuff...wish PPI the best of luck (throw in your best 'you poor bastard' look) and walk away with smile....while humming 'the wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round - ok maybe don't hum.)
Oh my, that's very very good, nay, brilliant!!

One minor point: I'd soften the "go behind her" wording with something a bit more general and a bit less personal, such as:

"I won't be here to double check the results anymore..." as you are a team player, and minion is the one who will be on point for future projects... Nothing personal, just business...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 5th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Turk wrote:
windsor wrote: On your very last day there (or as close to that as is practical) you pull the PPI aside (in person). You lean in to them (because you are going to be speak VERY softly) and thank PPI for recognizing your concerns and then say something like "look, in the future please keep an eye on minions data analysis - I won't be here to go behind her and double check anymore...and I really don't want anything to be submitted that might embrass the lab...just keep your eyes open be skeptical if anything looks a little off" ...follow with the standard nice to work with you see you around stuff...wish PPI the best of luck (throw in your best 'you poor bastard' look) and walk away with smile....while humming 'the wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round - ok maybe don't hum.)

One minor point: I'd soften the "go behind her" wording with something a bit more general and a bit less personal, such as:

"I won't be here to double check the results anymore..." as you are a team player, and minion is the one who will be on point for future projects... Nothing personal, just business...
Turk makes a good point. less personal would be better. :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 5th, 2011, 6:54 pm

windsor wrote:
Turk wrote:

Turk makes a good point. less personal would be better. :D
Thanks to both of you for the excellent advice! I've been thinking I would do something along these lines, and I like your suggestions for how to handle it.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 17th, 2012, 10:45 am

The infamous manuscript is finally published. It's featured on the cover of the most prominent journal in my field. :twitch: I took a look at the editorial board for the journal, and the editor of the journal is someone that PHB used to work for. Now I've solved the mystery of how this pile of crap was accepted for publication.

Although they said they fixed everything, a closer reading reveals that they did not. The work is still protrayed as coming from a single experiment. I need to decide how to proceed.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 17th, 2012, 12:28 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The infamous manuscript is finally published. It's featured on the cover of the most prominent journal in my field. :twitch: I took a look at the editorial board for the journal, and the editor of the journal is someone that PHB used to work for. Now I've solved the mystery of how this pile of crap was accepted for publication.

Although they said they fixed everything, a closer reading reveals that they did not. The work is still protrayed as coming from a single experiment. I need to decide how to proceed.
F * * *! :Boo: ~X( :liar:

Might be nice to see if anyone publishes a letter response.

But still...

F * * *!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 17th, 2012, 1:06 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The infamous manuscript is finally published. It's featured on the cover of the most prominent journal in my field. :twitch: I took a look at the editorial board for the journal, and the editor of the journal is someone that PHB used to work for. Now I've solved the mystery of how this pile of crap was accepted for publication.

:confusion-helpsos: :tools-hammerdrill: :obscene-moneypiss: :hits the fan: :fight: :sigh:

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 17th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Great reply, Ozzie! Round 2 is gonna be fun!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 17th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Great reply, Ozzie! Round 2 is gonna be fun!
Love, Ima
I was really hoping to find somebody blowing a whistle, like a ref, but we don't have that smilie.