MLB 2011

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

MLB 2011

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Pitchers and catchers report today, so it seems about the right time to start this thread.
A few thoughts:
I'm a Braves fan, as you all presumably know by now, but even I must admit that we're pretty much playing for second place (a Wild Card bid again, if I'm speaking optimistically). I think the Braves should improve in a couple of areas, most notably overall offense, and hopefully another measure of maturity in the starting rotation, but the defense is a major question mark, even more than last year, as is Chipper Jones' health.
I don't see how anyone could proclaim any team other than the Phillies the odds-on favorite. That starting rotation is just filthy, as good as any in the past three decades. They have a decent shot to be the first team since the 1971 Orioles with four 20-game winners. Their offense should be plenty good enough to combine with their arms to put them well north of 100 wins.
In the AL, the favorite has to be the red sux (unfortunately). Having added Carl Crawford to an already very good overall roster, I don't see anyone overtaking them. Sorry, Oz, but the Yanks' pitching just isn't good enough. I also foresee the Rays taking a step (or maybe even two) back, after having lost Crawford and, in my opinion, missed their small window of opportunity at a championship while the sux and Yanks have endured a measure of transitional pains in the past couple of seasons. The Angels likewise missed an opportunity by not going harder after Crawford and a couple of other free agents, and I expect the AL West to be wide open this season. The Rangers should be good again, but I don't expect them to be as good as they were last season.
At the other end of the league, I will thoroughly enjoy watching the New York Mutts, I mean New York Debts, I mean New York Mets struggle. I think this is the year the Nationals overtake them and climb out of the cellar. The Pirates might be the Debts' best chance of avoiding the NL's worst record. It will also be interesting to see if the Royals can (finally) take a step forward. The overwhelming consensus has proclaimed their young talent very promising. Everybody with an opinion on the subject has said they have the best farm system in baseball right now, and there doesn't even seem to be a clear-cut #2. Can they hang on to all that talent for long enough to put something competitive together in the Bigs?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: MLB 2011

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 14th, 2011, 3:57 pm

I agree the Phil's pitching is absofuckinglutely filthy. I hope they all stay healthy all year, just to see how good they can all be together. I just added absofuckinglutely to my computer's spelling "dictionary" :D

I'm sure the Yankees will finish first or second in the AL East and get into the playoffs. If the rotation needs "tweaking" mid season, they'll go out and get starters as needed, I have no doubt about that. Pettitte will be persuaded to lace 'em up or whatever. Right now, I'm more interested in Kyrie's toe than in pitchers and catchers...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 14th, 2011, 4:12 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I'm sure the Yankees will finish first or second in the AL East
On this, I strongly concur, but I think it's second. Top to bottom, the red sux' roster is eminently superior. Sorry.
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:and get into the playoffs.
This, not so much. A decent chance, definitely, but I'm certainly not "sure."
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:If the rotation needs "tweaking" mid season, they'll go out and get starters as needed, I have no doubt about that.
They'll definitely try (and they'll definitely need to), but that doesn't mean the players they want/need will be there for the taking (witness last season).
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Pettitte will be persuaded to lace 'em up or whatever.
For the first time here, I strongly disagree. I do not think Pettitte will play this season, and I'm not even really sure you want him to. I highly doubt he's the answer to pitching woes even if he does play (which, again, I believe to be rather unlikely).
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Right now, I'm more interested in Kyrie's toe than in pitchers and catchers...
Now there is one thing on which we can 100% agree! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 22nd, 2011, 4:15 pm

The Braves' own Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman are on the cover of the newest Sports Illustrated.
This of course renders me excited slash terrified.
One fun fact I ran across today: Assuming Freddie Freeman makes the Opening Day roster, which he will barring injury or other catastrophe (and he damned well better, because we sure as hell don't have an everyday option waiting behind him), he and JHey will be two of the four youngest starting position players in MLB. Bodes well for the future at Turner Field.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » February 22nd, 2011, 4:49 pm

wilson wrote:The Braves' own Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman are on the cover of the newest Sports Illustrated.
This of course renders me excited slash terrified.
One fun fact I ran across today: Assuming Freddie Freeman makes the Opening Day roster, which he will barring injury or other catastrophe (and he damned well better, because we sure as hell don't have an everyday option waiting behind him), he and JHey will be two of the four youngest starting position players in MLB. Bodes well for the future at Turner Field.
This rocks! I should get mine in the mail today. I plan to read it like a mother fugger. Got the swimsuit issue last week and used, um, er, I mean read it TOO!

-Earl, "Jam" if you're nasty
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 11:58 am

Reports today state that the Cardinals' Adam Wainwright has a "significant" elbow injury:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring201 ... id=6150113
If true, this is terrible news for the Cards. If Wainwright misses a significant portion of the season (or worse, the whole thing), it would probably be crippling to the Cards' playoff hopes this season, which might in turn affect the Pujols situation.
I feel for the Cards, always a classy organization, and Wainwright, who seems like a great guy (and incidentally is the cousin of some old family friends of mine).
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » February 23rd, 2011, 12:15 pm

I myself am a miserable Dodgers fan, with our storied franchise in Divorce Court with Judy Judy.....oh the humanity...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 23rd, 2011, 12:45 pm

As an Orioles fan, I have a little more hope this year than I have had in years past.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 23rd, 2011, 1:07 pm

My attention span isn't long enough :-w nor my stomach strong enough :ymsick: for the entire chawing and spitting season. I don't tune in until the World Series. Ahhh SEE ya then. :ymparty:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 23rd, 2011, 1:23 pm

TillyGalore wrote:As an Orioles fan, I have a little more hope this year than I have had in years past.
What Tilly said. My level of hope for the Orange and Black is also slightly higher than at the beginning of last year, but I don't have a huge amount of optoemism, uh, optimism. (I have A LOT of optoemism.) :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 3:06 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:As an Orioles fan, I have a little more hope this year than I have had in years past.
What Tilly said. My level of hope for the Orange and Black is also slightly higher than at the beginning of last year, but I don't have a huge amount of optoemism, uh, optimism. (I have A LOT of optoemism.) :9f:
Hate to break it to y'all, but I'm afraid you're still hoping for third place. This would still be an improvement over the Os' recent performances, but nobody in that division is catching the red sux, probably nobody else is catching the Yankees. Unfortunately, your birds are stuck in baseball's best division from top to bottom. The O's could win 85 games or so (which in some years is Wild Card territory, especially in the NL) and still finish in fourth place. And this is to say nothing of the Rays and Blue Jays, both of whom should be solid, though nothing special (I expect the Rays in particular to take at least one step back this season).
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 23rd, 2011, 4:10 pm

wilson wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Hate to break it to y'all, but I'm afraid you're still hoping for third place. This would still be an improvement over the Os' recent performances, but nobody in that division is catching the red sux, probably nobody else is catching the Yankees. Unfortunately, your birds are stuck in baseball's best division from top to bottom. The O's could win 85 games or so (which in some years is Wild Card territory, especially in the NL) and still finish in fourth place. And this is to say nothing of the Rays and Blue Jays, both of whom should be solid, though nothing special (I expect the Rays in particular to take at least one step back this season).
I don't think this is news to Tilly or me. If we finish at or above .500, I would be bouncing off walls.
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 23rd, 2011, 9:53 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
wilson wrote:Hate to break it to y'all, but I'm afraid you're still hoping for third place. This would still be an improvement over the Os' recent performances, but nobody in that division is catching the red sux, probably nobody else is catching the Yankees. Unfortunately, your birds are stuck in baseball's best division from top to bottom. The O's could win 85 games or so (which in some years is Wild Card territory, especially in the NL) and still finish in fourth place. And this is to say nothing of the Rays and Blue Jays, both of whom should be solid, though nothing special (I expect the Rays in particular to take at least one step back this season).
I don't think this is news to Tilly or me. If we finish at or above .500, I would be bouncing off walls.
What lawgrad said.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 10:54 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:I don't think this is news to Tilly or me. If we finish at or above .500, I would be bouncing off walls.
What lawgrad said.
Rest assured that I'll be rooting along with the two of you. I'd vastly prefer Orioles success to that of the red sux or Yankees.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 11:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:If the rotation needs "tweaking" mid season, they'll go out and get starters as needed, I have no doubt about that.
Well, Oz, Hank and the boys are already looking for pitching, and to that end, he called asking about Tim Hudson the other day.
http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=34235

Wait for it...
Wait for it...

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Abso-effing-lutely not. Get the eff out of here with that noise.

This was my point last week. The Yanks, by gutting their farm system with too many trades and too much focus on free agency, have really painted themselves into a corner. They have little left with which to make a deal, and few potential partners who are willing to trade with them. I expect their pitching to remain insufficient to make a serious playoff run this year.
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » February 24th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Poor St. Louis - no town lives and dies with baseball like they do - as Wainwright needs "Tommy John" surgery to repair his elbow. With that and the Pujols cloud, Budweiser tours will now increase 10 fold... :twitch:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 24th, 2011, 1:32 pm

robertduke32 wrote:Poor St. Louis - no town lives and dies with baseball like they do - as Wainwright needs "Tommy John" surgery to repair his elbow. With that and the Pujols cloud, Budweiser tours will now increase 10 fold... :twitch:
Speaking of "Tommy John" surgery, any news about the young, hot (in terms of talent not looks) pitcher for the Nats who had the surgery last year?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 24th, 2011, 8:01 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Speaking of "Tommy John" surgery, any news about the young, hot (in terms of talent not looks) pitcher for the Nats who had the surgery last year?
Indications are that his rehab is proceeding normally, but it typically takes a full year. There won't be serious conversation about his return until at least July.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 25th, 2011, 4:08 pm

This one's for you, Lavabizzle (How much is he gonna hate me for calling him "Lavabizzle"?):
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... ident.html
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 25th, 2011, 11:21 pm

"I'm just here to help the club any way I can." 8-|

How long before he's on the DL?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"