I need help with Windows 7...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

I need help with Windows 7...

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

My dad gave me my mom's laptop, but I'm about ready to throw it out the window. It has Windows 7, and I want to get it on the internet but I need my MAC ID to connect with my router. Every computer I've had up til now uses a USB wireless adapter, and I just look on the outside of the device for the ID. However, this one has an internal network card, and I can't for the life of me find the MAC ID anywhere. I've found the "settings" for the device and the "properties" of the device, and those tell me every piece of information I EVER wanted or didn't want to know about the device, EXCEPT for its stinkin' MAC ID. Can somebody help me figure out where to find the MAC ID? I'm going CRAZY here!

I ALSO have a wep key, and when I try to connect, it just tries to connect to my network without even giving me the OPTION to enter a wep key. Is that something it's gonna ask once I get passed the MAC ID problem, or am I doing something ELSE wrong?

Thanks so much.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: I need help with Windows 7...

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 4:05 pm

bjornolf wrote:My dad gave me my mom's laptop, but I'm about ready to throw it out the window. It has Windows 7, and I want to get it on the internet but I need my MAC ID to connect with my router. Every computer I've had up til now uses a USB wireless adapter, and I just look on the outside of the device for the ID. However, this one has an internal network card, and I can't for the life of me find the MAC ID anywhere. I've found the "settings" for the device and the "properties" of the device, and those tell me every piece of information I EVER wanted or didn't want to know about the device, EXCEPT for its stinkin' MAC ID. Can somebody help me figure out where to find the MAC ID? I'm going CRAZY here!

I ALSO have a wep key, and when I try to connect, it just tries to connect to my network without even giving me the OPTION to enter a wep key. Is that something it's gonna ask once I get passed the MAC ID problem, or am I doing something ELSE wrong?

Thanks so much.

@};-
I would try to launch a dos shell and enter the following command: ipconfig /all
Look for the Physical Address.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2010, 4:07 pm

Man, I am SO lame on Windows. I haven't known had to get a DOS shell since Windows '98. I didn't know you could even do that anymore. I'll try to figure it out.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 4:20 pm

bjornolf wrote:Man, I am SO lame on Windows. I haven't known had to get a DOS shell since Windows '98. I didn't know you could even do that anymore. I'll try to figure it out.

@};-
Not sure about Win7, but on XP just clicc Start Menu > Run and enter cmd then hit return. Voila.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Man, I am SO lame on Windows. I haven't known had to get a DOS shell since Windows '98. I didn't know you could even do that anymore. I'll try to figure it out.

@};-
Not sure about Win7, but on XP just clicc Start Menu > Run and enter cmd then hit return. Voila.
I don't have a RUN option. That's what I looked for. However, I saw the search button and just searched CMD and it brought it right up. Got the MAC ID. Thanks man. Oddly, the computer has TWO wireless devices with MAC IDs only one digit apart. Weird, huh?

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 4:39 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Miles wrote:

@};-
I don't have a RUN option. That's what I looked for. However, I saw the search button and just searched CMD and it brought it right up. Got the MAC ID. Thanks man. Oddly, the computer has TWO wireless devices with MAC IDs only one digit apart. Weird, huh?

@};-
Maybe you're seeing the hardwired ethernet interface and the wireless interface. It's been so long since I've messed with this stuff on Windows, especially Win7. Glad you're making progress. Let me know if you need anything else.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2010, 5:11 pm

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Miles wrote:Not sure about Win7, but on XP just clicc Start Menu > Run and enter cmd then hit return. Voila.

@};-
Maybe you're seeing the hardwired ethernet interface and the wireless interface. It's been so long since I've messed with this stuff on Windows, especially Win7. Glad you're making progress. Let me know if you need anything else.
I don't know. They were called the "Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN", and the "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" and were labeled as Wireless Internet Connection 1 and Wireless Internet Connection 2. I put BOTH addresses into my routers MAC protection, and BOTH appeared under my wireless connection options when I tried to connect. They were both separate from my hardwire connection. One of my friends told me that the computer might have two that run on different frequencies in case of interference.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » June 3rd, 2010, 5:31 pm

-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 3rd, 2010, 5:33 pm

Cool, I'm on just fine, but now youtube won't work. It freezes after a few seconds anytime I try to load a video. The little white circle starts going, and within three seconds, it freezes. This happens on both firefox and explorer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 7:52 pm

bjornolf wrote:Cool, I'm on just fine, but now youtube won't work. It freezes after a few seconds anytime I try to load a video. The little white circle starts going, and within three seconds, it freezes. This happens on both firefox and explorer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

@};-
Youtube = Flash so start there. I'm by no means a Window's whiz but there are few concepts that are true for any operating system. Run software update. Make sure you're running the latest versions of your browsers and Flash. For giggles, try another website that uses Flash and see if things work or fail. If Flash-enabled sites are failing universally, then the likely culprit is Flash. If it's only Youtube... when than damn.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 7:54 pm

DukeUsul wrote:You learn something new every day.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/200905 ... -research/
No shit. Cool find DukeUsul.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 3rd, 2010, 8:42 pm

I read that page and I have no earthly idea what it meant.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 3rd, 2010, 9:06 pm

Miles wrote:

No shit. Cool find DukeUsul.
Very good article! Wifi (Residential Wifi) is what I did for my Masters ... I should have implemented and made millions! Another of many missed opportunities, but I am waiting for the right 1! It isn't about $! :-BD
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 3rd, 2010, 9:56 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Miles wrote:

@};-

@};-
Right click the start button, select properties, then customize. I don't know why, but Vista and Windows 7 removed the run option as a default start menu item. Do the above and you can select it from a list.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 4th, 2010, 5:45 am

Miles wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Cool, I'm on just fine, but now youtube won't work. It freezes after a few seconds anytime I try to load a video. The little white circle starts going, and within three seconds, it freezes. This happens on both firefox and explorer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

@};-
Youtube = Flash so start there. I'm by no means a Window's whiz but there are few concepts that are true for any operating system. Run software update. Make sure you're running the latest versions of your browsers and Flash. For giggles, try another website that uses Flash and see if things work or fail. If Flash-enabled sites are failing universally, then the likely culprit is Flash. If it's only Youtube... when than damn.
I believe that my site for weather, WTOPnews.com, uses flash. When my wife tried to get the weather last night, she had to download the latest flash player to view it. We can view that site just fine now.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 6th, 2010, 6:11 am

So, anybody have any other YouTube ideas? I hate not getting to see my youtube.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Miles

Post by Miles » June 6th, 2010, 10:03 am

bjornolf wrote:So, anybody have any other YouTube ideas? I hate not getting to see my youtube.

@};-
Have you run software update? What happens if you create a new account and try to access the page from that account? Maybe something is jacked up at the user level, not the system level. Try uninstalling flash and then reinstalling. Try the same for your browsers. Make sure you backup favorites before deleting.
sMiles