Ymm, coffee

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Ymm, coffee

Post by ohioguy2 » May 30th, 2010, 9:48 pm

I do not remember a thread on coffee. I am talking about "what kind of coffee do you brew at your home for breakfast" coffee. I suppose various types of machines and grinds (or not) could "filter" in, but I'm interested the coffee itself. I just started using Peets, and I am impressed. Never been to a Peets' shop, but their package stuff is pretty good.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, coffee

Post by devildeac » May 30th, 2010, 9:54 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:I do not remember a thread on coffee. I am talking about "what kind of coffee do you brew at your home for breakfast" coffee. I suppose various types of machines and grinds (or not) could "filter" in, but I'm interested the coffee itself. I just started using Peets, and I am impressed. Never been to a Peets' shop, but their package stuff is pretty good.
I do not drink much coffee and when I do it is what someone else has brewed for me. Seattle's Best, Caribou, Starbuck's, DD (Dunkin' Donuts, not my own brand :D ) or whatever my wife has in the coffee maker on the weekend, specifically Sunday mornings. I don't even know what "roast" she uses. I'll make an occasional latte outta whatever is in the pot, mixing in a little milk, a little cocoa powder and a little hot chocolate mix. I'm happy with straight up, too. See Ymm, Beer thread for tonight's coffee "beverage." :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 30th, 2010, 10:05 pm

I drink lots of coffee..but I'm by no means an elitist (unlike beer!). I bastardize the hell out of what I drink, adding tons of sugar and cream. At the gas stations with those "cappucino" machines, I'll do half of that stuff, add less than usual sugar, and half coffee. I watched a really interesting show on coffee (and the history of it) the other night, the method preffered amongst most professional tasters was the french press. We have one of those, it's pretty cool and very efficient given it's simplicity. The percolators we grew up with (if you're old enough) are supposedly the bane of coffee connoisseurs everywhere.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » May 30th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Lately I've been buying whatever's on sale, or Wegmans store brand (which is really pretty good), but as soon as we have some cash flow again, I plan to resume buying green beans from Cafe Campesino and roasting them myself. I use a hot-air popcorn popper (no, seriously) and OMG y'all, if you've never had really fresh roasted coffee, it is SO GOOD.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 30th, 2010, 10:16 pm

gadzooks wrote:Lately I've been buying whatever's on sale, or Wegmans store brand (which is really pretty good), but as soon as we have some cash flow again, I plan to resume buying green beans from Cafe Campesino and roasting them myself. I use a hot-air popcorn popper (no, seriously) and OMG y'all, if you've never had really fresh roasted coffee, it is SO GOOD.
We had some green beans with dinner tonight. I think they were DelMonte. :ymblushing: :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » May 30th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Come on now, does whole bean coffee you grind yourself really taste better than that which is previously ground? I guess I need to try it for myself somehow to see if its worth the trouble.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 30th, 2010, 10:23 pm

I buy Dunkin' Donuts medium roast to brew at home. Sam's and Costco sell a 40 oz bag for ~$16, much cheaper than grocery stores. It's the best I've found. Used Folger's for years, and it doesn't compare. Maxwell House is like drinking water.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 30th, 2010, 10:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I buy Dunkin' Donuts medium roast to brew at home. Sam's and Costco sell a 40 oz bag for ~$16, much cheaper than grocery stores. It's the best I've found. Used Folger's for years, and it doesn't compare. Maxwell House is like drinking water.
Except, of course, when someone has been kind enough to bring me some Kona Koffee from Hawaii! ;)

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 30th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Peet's.

I don't have a Peet's here in G-Vegas, but I do have a Starbucks.

I miss Peet's.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 31st, 2010, 12:54 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I buy Dunkin' Donuts medium roast to brew at home. Sam's and Costco sell a 40 oz bag for ~$16, much cheaper than grocery stores. It's the best I've found. Used Folger's for years, and it doesn't compare. Maxwell House is like drinking water.
Except, of course, when someone has been kind enough to bring me some Kona Koffee from Hawaii! ;)
We'll see if Tilly or I get there first! 25lb bags of Kona's finest! :D I got Peets for Christmas and that was awesome! I actually found it up here at local safeway! I was very surprised, but Starbucks Gold Coast (apparently from CA) is always a winner! The Darker Roast for me the better! ;)
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 31st, 2010, 8:45 am

ohioguy2 wrote:Come on now, does whole bean coffee you grind yourself really taste better than that which is previously ground? I guess I need to try it for myself somehow to see if its worth the trouble.
Without doubt freshly ground coffee tastes far better than coffee that was previously ground. Air is death to coffee. When manufacturers grind coffee they're exposing more surface area to air, speeding up the process of ruining your precious bean. If you're skeptical, and don't feel like investing the money, try having half a pound ground at your local coffee shop and see what you think. You should notice an immediate difference.

I love the process of grinding every morning. It's part of my morning ritual and it helps get my day started right.

Kelly and I tried Larry's and we're really enjoying it. Larry's supports fair trade organic, and it's a North Carolina-based company so we don't mind paying an extra buck per pound.

I take mine with cream or half & half. Kelly the same add two splenda.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 31st, 2010, 9:42 am

cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Except, of course, when someone has been kind enough to bring me some Kona Koffee from Hawaii! ;)
We'll see if Tilly or I get there first! 25lb bags of Kona's finest! :D I got Peets for Christmas and that was awesome! I actually found it up here at local safeway! I was very surprised, but Starbucks Gold Coast (apparently from CA) is always a winner! The Darker Roast for me the better! ;)
Better start planning, bunchofnumbers. This time next year I'll be coming back from another trip to Hawaii.

I drink Green Mountain Roasters, Vermont Country Blend. It's the coffee that was sold on the University of Vermont campus when I was a student. Ahhhh, the good ole days.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » May 31st, 2010, 11:11 am

I like good coffee. I'm a coffee snob. An elitist or whathaveyou. I prefer to call up my friend at 8thsincoffee.com a local Raleigh coffee roaster started by a guy I know and get it fresh from the roaster within 48 hours of roasting. Coffee loses so much as it sits around. Or I'll go over to Crema Coffee in Cary where you can watch Kevin roast the beans himself right in the shop. Grind the beans myself and then prepare in a french press. I like it black.

Starbucks is gross. Almost as bad as Maxwell House. They over-roast all their beans. Every coffee I've had from them tastes like it's charred. Not to mention they're evil.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » May 31st, 2010, 11:14 am

Oh and my preferred source for coffee I drink everyday is Ethiopia. One of my favorites is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Peaberry, something that Kevin at Crema in Cary frequently carries.
-- DukeUsul
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 31st, 2010, 12:27 pm

I love good coffee and realize that I may sound like another coffee snob.

The beans and how they are processed are essential to making good coffee. The type of bean, the roasting method and when the beans are ground as well as method of brewing are important elements in creating whatever experience one has with coffee.

Coffee is similar to wine in terms of the varied opinions and palates each person brings to the encounter with a cup of coffee.

Make mine a dark roast served hot with no cream, s'il vous plait.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 31st, 2010, 2:19 pm

I buy Eight O'Clock Columbian. It's a medium roast. I buy whole bean and it does make a difference. More fresh oils from the beans are available for the making when you grind just before brewing. Oil has gone in previously ground stuff. Brew it any way other than a percolator. I use a drip method. I have a press but it's too much trouble and I want it quickly and in great quantity. I've not seen presses that were very much volume.

Eight O'Clock is a grat value that I buy at Sam's Club. 40 Oz bag is just over $11. I will make a trip there for coffee only. I am a little prejudiced toward other brands. My first employer, way back in high school, was The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. We wee bag boys had the duty of grinding coffee for customers at check-out. Nobody had home grinders, back in those days. Plus, the company works Teamsters.

I think I'll go get a cup now.

:D :coffee: :D :coffee: :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles

Post by Miles » May 31st, 2010, 3:20 pm

captmojo wrote:I buy Eight O'Clock Columbian. It's a medium roast. I buy whole bean and it does make a difference. More fresh oils from the beans are available for the making when you grind just before brewing. Oil has gone in previously ground stuff. Brew it any way other than a percolator. I use a drip method. I have a press but it's too much trouble and I want it quickly and in great quantity. I've not seen presses that were very much volume.

Eight O'Clock is a grat value that I buy at Sam's Club. 40 Oz bag is just over $11. I will make a trip there for coffee only. I am a little prejudiced toward other brands. My first employer, way back in high school, was The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company. We wee bag boys had the duty of grinding coffee for customers at check-out. Nobody had home grinders, back in those days. Plus, the company works Teamsters.

I think I'll go get a cup now.

:D :coffee: :D :coffee: :D
Ahhhh late afternoon coffee; one of my favorites. I love to bust out the stove top espresso maker on those extra rough days at work, or cold and rainy days like today.
sMiles
gadzooks

Post by gadzooks » June 1st, 2010, 12:21 am

Miles wrote:
ohioguy2 wrote:Come on now, does whole bean coffee you grind yourself really taste better than that which is previously ground? I guess I need to try it for myself somehow to see if its worth the trouble.
Without doubt freshly ground coffee tastes far better than coffee that was previously ground. Air is death to coffee. When manufacturers grind coffee they're exposing more surface area to air, speeding up the process of ruining your precious bean. If you're skeptical, and don't feel like investing the money, try having half a pound ground at your local coffee shop and see what you think. You should notice an immediate difference.
DukeUsul wrote: I prefer to call up my friend at 8thsincoffee.com a local Raleigh coffee roaster started by a guy I know and get it fresh from the roaster within 48 hours of roasting. Coffee loses so much as it sits around. Or I'll go over to Crema Coffee in Cary where you can watch Kevin roast the beans himself right in the shop.
What they said. Coffee is full of oils and volatiles that quickly deteriorate and disappear once exposed to air. Both freshly roasted and freshly ground make a BIG difference. To some folks, coffee is just a caffeine delivery vehicle, and that's cool, but if you really enjoy the taste of coffee, find some of the fresh stuff.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 1st, 2010, 7:56 am

My real favorite coffee is really Schraft's Coffee Ice Cream. I believe that was discussed over yonder a few years ago... When I was a kid, my mom brought it home in the single serving size - 1 quart. =))

windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 1st, 2010, 8:11 am

I love coffee. Kona is my favorite...when I can get it. There is a local coffee shop that roasts/grinds their own - I usually buy my coffee there, although in a pinch Community Coffee (dark roast) will do just fine. I prefer dark roasts.

I didn't start drinking coffee until I went to Duke - couldn't find the cream and sugar and being a freshman and not wanting to look like a stupid freshman I didn't ask (as if the wild eyed lost look didn't give me away as a frosh!) by the time I found where it was I'd learned to drink it black and never changed.

I do love a good cup of coffee - but no flavors please...fresh ground dark roast - mmmm. I think I'll go grab another cup.
'
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.