Ymm, coffee

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Ymm, coffee

Post by Miles » June 1st, 2010, 8:29 am

windsor wrote:I love coffee. Kona is my favorite...when I can get it. There is a local coffee shop that roasts/grinds their own - I usually buy my coffee there, although in a pinch Community Coffee (dark roast) will do just fine. I prefer dark roasts.

I didn't start drinking coffee until I went to Duke - couldn't find the cream and sugar and being a freshman and not wanting to look like a stupid freshman I didn't ask (as if the wild eyed lost look didn't give me away as a frosh!) by the time I found where it was I'd learned to drink it black and never changed.

I do love a good cup of coffee - but no flavors please...fresh ground dark roast - mmmm. I think I'll go grab another cup.
'
Agreed on the flavors. There is no better way to ruin a cup of coffee than to pollute the brew with hydrogenated oils corn syrup "flavor". :ymsick:
I will, on occasion, enjoy a vacation coffee with a little dash of Irish Whisky. :-BD
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2010, 9:29 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:My real favorite coffee is really Schraft's Coffee Ice Cream. I believe that was discussed over yonder a few years ago... When I was a kid, my mom brought it home in the single serving size - 1 quart. =))
I thought 1/2 gallon was your single serving size...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 1st, 2010, 9:59 am

I'm brewing a pot right now in my office. Maxwell house, which I plan to add loads of sugar and non-dairy creamer to.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 1st, 2010, 10:37 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:My real favorite coffee is really Schraft's Coffee Ice Cream. I believe that was discussed over yonder a few years ago... When I was a kid, my mom brought it home in the single serving size - 1 quart. =))
I thought 1/2 gallon was your single serving size...
Nope, quart size. That way there were no leftovers put back into the freezer! :-o
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » June 1st, 2010, 11:31 am

I prefer lighter roasts. They have more caffeine!
-- DukeUsul
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 1st, 2010, 3:30 pm

No contaminants! Black.
The only time I differ is in winter, with a shot of this...
http://www.godiva.com/beyond_chocolate/liqueur.aspx#
I like the stuff on the far left. =p~
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » June 1st, 2010, 4:47 pm

So what kind of machine should I buy if I wish to become a more polished coffee drinker? Do the ones that are all purpose (grind beans and then brew into a thermal pot) come in compact sizes? Is the price less than my last automobile? Any suggestions? :-?
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » June 1st, 2010, 5:45 pm

I gave up on machines a few years ago, because none of the ones I tried got the water hot enough to make a really good brew (the high-end ones will give you a more consistent result, but those cost $100+). I went low-tech with a Melitta manual coffeemaker; the coffee is awesome and it cost less than 20 bucks even with shipping. A French press is similarly inexpensive, just a little more messy.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » June 1st, 2010, 6:23 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:So what kind of machine should I buy if I wish to become a more polished coffee drinker? Do the ones that are all purpose (grind beans and then brew into a thermal pot) come in compact sizes? Is the price less than my last automobile? Any suggestions? :-?
Consumer Reports recommends the Michael Graves model 40304 as a best buy; priced around $45; it's available at Target. Also listed as a best buy is Black & Decker DLX1050B which is priced around $25.

I prefer having the grinder separate. I currently have a Krups which cost about $20. With the Krups and similar models, it's necessary to estimate what's about the right amount of grinding based on the appearance of the coffee. Consumer Reports recommends as a best buy Mr. Coffee Coffee Grinder model COF ISS77 which costs about $25. One advantage this model offers is that it has three different grind settings. This coffee grinder is available at Target.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 1st, 2010, 8:00 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:So what kind of machine should I buy if I wish to become a more polished coffee drinker? Do the ones that are all purpose (grind beans and then brew into a thermal pot) come in compact sizes? Is the price less than my last automobile? Any suggestions? :-?
I also prefer a separate grinder. You do get a sense after a time of who much coffee you need to put in for each variety...just takes a little practice. Whatever pot you use to brew make sure its thermal....nothing with the burner on the bottom unless you are going to drink all the coffee pretty quickly -nothing ruins coffee like 'burning it' (Starbucks come to mind! There regular coffee always tastes burnt... :ymsick: :ymsick: ) by leaving it on the heat too long. A french press is great if you are going to have a cup and savor it and be done...but for the quantity I go through in the morning it is too much trouble.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 1st, 2010, 8:45 pm

windsor wrote: Whatever pot you use to brew make sure its thermal....nothing with the burner on the bottom unless you are going to drink all the coffee pretty quickly -nothing ruins coffee like 'burning it' .
Great point. On my coffee maker at work I know I'm only good for 2 cups out of it, by the time I get to the third no amount of sugar can cover up the fact that it is totally scorched. (And yet I still brew more than 2 cups every time)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 2nd, 2010, 7:58 am

I prefer a separate grinder. Get a burr grinder instead of a blade grinder. Blade grinders work fine and are far better than purchasing preground, packaged coffee, but they're inconsistent. A burr grinder adjusts the position of the burrs to create a uniform grind; essential if you're going to experiment with different coffee drinks at home.
sMiles
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 2nd, 2010, 7:35 pm

Cuisinart drip maker and a single speed Mr. Coffee grinder is what I use. You have to get used to the bean level in the hopper and the length of time you run the grinder. I hold for 10 seconds, then pulse the blades, two 1-second bursts. this makes for a more clean release out of the grinder.
Cuisinart makes it fast, it has an internal replaceable water filter and it's easy to clean. I also use Brita filtered water, so it's double filtered.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm

captmojo wrote:Cuisinart drip maker and a single speed Mr. Coffee grinder is what I use. You have to get used to the bean level in the hopper and the length of time you run the grinder. I hold for 10 seconds, then pulse the blades, two 1-second bursts. this makes for a more clean release out of the grinder.
Cuisinart makes it fast, it has an internal replaceable water filter and it's easy to clean. I also use Brita filtered water, so it's double filtered.
Great point capn. Make sure you're using cold, filtered water instead of tap water. Blech.
sMiles
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 2nd, 2010, 11:43 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I prefer lighter roasts. They have more caffeine!
Interesting :-? I never knew that! The lighter the roast for me, the more watery the coffee seems to turn out. I always thought the espresso version is what gives you the extra caffeine. I prefer the darker roast for taste!
Miles

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 8:24 am

cl15876 wrote:
Interesting :-? I never knew that! The lighter the roast for me, the more watery the coffee seems to turn out. I always thought the espresso version is what gives you the extra caffeine. I prefer the darker roast for taste!
Your standard cup of joe from a diner has about three times as much caffeine than espresso. Bold flavors don't always equate to higher content of the good stuff. Take Guinness for example: its' about 4.0% and around 120 calories per pint. Budweiser on the other hand is 5.0% and about 140 calories.
sMiles
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 3rd, 2010, 9:15 am

cl15876 wrote:
Increase the grounds to water ratio. ;-)
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » June 3rd, 2010, 9:16 am

cl15876 wrote:
And the difference in caffeine between roasts really isn't hugely significant. I agree with Miles on coffee vs. espresso. Brewed coffee has significantly more caffeine than a shot of espresso.
-- DukeUsul
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 4th, 2010, 9:42 am

Miles wrote:
captmojo wrote:Cuisinart drip maker and a single speed Mr. Coffee grinder is what I use. You have to get used to the bean level in the hopper and the length of time you run the grinder. I hold for 10 seconds, then pulse the blades, two 1-second bursts. this makes for a more clean release out of the grinder.
Great point capn. Make sure you're using cold, filtered water instead of tap water. Blech.
...and an unbleached, natural paper brew filter.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 5th, 2010, 8:45 am

CathyCA wrote:Peet's.

I don't have a Peet's here in G-Vegas, but I do have a Starbucks.

I miss Peet's.
Funny you should mention Peet's. I'm drinking Peet's Sumatra for breakfast. Our collaborator in CA shipped us a box containing a selection of Peet's coffees as a thank you gift. Good stuff. Maybe you can ship some coffee beans back to NC while you're visiting in CA.

My normal brew is Dunkin Donuts. It's amazingly good. My coffee snob co-worker likes it, which is how I learned of its existence. I used to REALLY like the New Mexico Pinon Coffee from Trader Joe's but they stopped carrying it. Darn them. One can order it online, but it's really expensive.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein