28%
Well
No votes

Total votes: 25
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: How do you prefer your steak?

Post by cl15876 » June 3rd, 2010, 12:14 am

I love watching those throwdowns and enjoy watching Bobby Flay, but I think his wins on the throwdowns are sometimes probably tainted a bit. I really am looking forward to visiting a burrito shop in San Francisco, one day, called Papalote where he did a throwdown within the past 6 months there and he created some kind of California style burrito which apparently was good but I missed all the ingredients except it had avocado, but I believe Papalote won, if I recall correctly. They withstood the challenge! :-BD http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/1 ... h_papa.php
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 3rd, 2010, 8:21 am

cl15876 wrote:I love watching those throwdowns and enjoy watching Bobby Flay, but I think his wins on the throwdowns are sometimes probably tainted a bit. I really am looking forward to visiting a burrito shop in San Francisco, one day, called Papalote where he did a throwdown within the past 6 months there and he created some kind of California style burrito which apparently was good but I missed all the ingredients except it had avocado, but I believe Papalote won, if I recall correctly. They withstood the challenge! :-BD http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/1 ... h_papa.php
I didn't see that episode but I just watched the tasting on Food Network. I'll give it try but I've never been a fan of mixing seafood with chicken or beef and pork. Bobby's burrito looked like crap.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 3rd, 2010, 5:54 pm

Miles wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I love watching those throwdowns and enjoy watching Bobby Flay, but I think his wins on the throwdowns are sometimes probably tainted a bit. I really am looking forward to visiting a burrito shop in San Francisco, one day, called Papalote where he did a throwdown within the past 6 months there and he created some kind of California style burrito which apparently was good but I missed all the ingredients except it had avocado, but I believe Papalote won, if I recall correctly. They withstood the challenge! :-BD http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/1 ... h_papa.php
I didn't see that episode but I just watched the tasting on Food Network. I'll give it try but I've never been a fan of mixing seafood with chicken or beef and pork. Bobby's burrito looked like crap.
He also had a throwdown against Ed Mitchell a bit over a year ago and Ed Mitchell won. They cooked ribs. The 2 judges were from NC and you know who REALLY gets all the calls...

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 3rd, 2010, 8:03 pm

devildeac wrote:
Miles wrote:
He also had a throwdown against Ed Mitchell a bit over a year ago and Ed Mitchell won. They cooked ribs. The 2 judges were from NC and you know who REALLY gets all the calls...

I saw that episode. Is Ed Mitchell's barbeque all that and a bag of (wood) chips? Is it worth a side trip from Durham?
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 3rd, 2010, 8:09 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Miles wrote:I love watching those throwdowns and enjoy watching Bobby Flay, but I think his wins on the throwdowns are sometimes probably tainted a bit. I really am looking forward to visiting a burrito shop in San Francisco, one day, called Papalote where he did a throwdown within the past 6 months there and he created some kind of California style burrito which apparently was good but I missed all the ingredients except it had avocado, but I believe Papalote won, if I recall correctly. They withstood the challenge! :-BD http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/1 ... h_papa.php

I saw that episode. Is Ed Mitchell's barbeque all that and a bag of (wood) chips? Is it worth a side trip from Durham?
You're damn right it is! Ymm! You might even find DD and I joining you for dinner there! I love his baby back ribs! B-) :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 3rd, 2010, 8:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: He also had a throwdown against Ed Mitchell a bit over a year ago and Ed Mitchell won. They cooked ribs. The 2 judges were from NC and you know who REALLY gets all the calls...

You're damn right it is! Ymm! You might even find DD and I joining you for dinner there! I love his baby back ribs! B-) :D[/quote]

Then we'll just have to do it! B is a HUGE fan of BBQ (and food in general!) and it won't take much to talk him into a road trip when his work schedule permits.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 3rd, 2010, 9:50 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Miles wrote: I didn't see that episode but I just watched the tasting on Food Network. I'll give it try but I've never been a fan of mixing seafood with chicken or beef and pork. Bobby's burrito looked like crap.

It is a bit spendy but worth a trip. Especially if you got to meet the Ozzie family and the devildeac family. And vice versa, of course :D . Good beer selection, too. =p~

Why am I not surprised that Ozzie beat be to the reply :)) =)) .
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 3rd, 2010, 11:36 pm

I like any steak. Except super-rare steak. Other than that I'll eat just about any steak that you put in front of me! In fact, that makes me hungry... Be right back...
Class of 2014
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 4th, 2010, 7:42 am

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:He also had a throwdown against Ed Mitchell a bit over a year ago and Ed Mitchell won. They cooked ribs. The 2 judges were from NC and you know who REALLY gets all the calls...

It is a bit spendy but worth a trip. Especially if you got to meet the Ozzie family and the devildeac family. And vice versa, of course :D . Good beer selection, too. =p~

I'm sensing a CTN night out at Ed's. Thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 4th, 2010, 7:50 am

TillyGalore wrote:
devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: I saw that episode. Is Ed Mitchell's barbeque all that and a bag of (wood) chips? Is it worth a side trip from Durham?

That looks like at least 7-8 of us. We can prolly get dukediv2012 to join us also.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 4th, 2010, 8:07 am

TillyGalore wrote:
devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:He also had a throwdown against Ed Mitchell a bit over a year ago and Ed Mitchell won. They cooked ribs. The 2 judges were from NC and you know who REALLY gets all the calls...

That'll work! When - this summer or in the fall? Not the last two weeks of June.

Miles

Post by Miles » June 4th, 2010, 8:39 am

SPOILER ALERT for Iron Chef America

Last night Bobby Flay was Iron Chef cooking Cowboy Ribeyes. He lost by a small margin. I was surprised to see Grill Boy Wonder go down, especially after everybody loved his dishes and didn't seem so thrilled with the other dishes. I'm inspired and will grilling up some serious steakage this weekend. :-BD
sMiles
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 4th, 2010, 9:53 pm

We are in for the trip to Raleigh to eat ribs. Sometime in July would work better for us. Bruce can't get off in June (his weekend off is when we'll be gone to see his people in Seattle, 6/22-6/29) and we'll be in Virginia Beach August 5-8.
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 5th, 2010, 2:08 am

lawgrad91 wrote:We are in for the trip to Raleigh to eat ribs. Sometime in July would work better for us. Bruce can't get off in June (his weekend off is when we'll be gone to see his people in Seattle, 6/22-6/29) and we'll be in Virginia Beach August 5-8.
July works for me. Ymm! B-)

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 5th, 2010, 8:48 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:We are in for the trip to Raleigh to eat ribs. Sometime in July would work better for us. Bruce can't get off in June (his weekend off is when we'll be gone to see his people in Seattle, 6/22-6/29) and we'll be in Virginia Beach August 5-8.
The devildeacs are in, of course. =p~
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 5th, 2010, 9:01 am

Miles wrote:I'm sure we've covered this before, but I need to poll something and Tilly inspired this so sooooooooo, let's talk.

I prefer my steak medium-rare, but I'll go with rare on occasion if the mood strikes. I like beef carpaccio too.
I prefer my steak sans parasites. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 5th, 2010, 9:07 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
The devildeacs are in, of course. =p~
K68 and I are available July 10 and 31 (is that the last Saturday in July?). We are available July 3, but am betting everyone has plans that weekend.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Miles

Post by Miles » June 5th, 2010, 9:24 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm sure we've covered this before, but I need to poll something and Tilly inspired this so sooooooooo, let's talk.

I prefer my steak medium-rare, but I'll go with rare on occasion if the mood strikes. I like beef carpaccio too.
I prefer my steak sans parasites. ;)
Wimp. ;-)
sMiles
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 5th, 2010, 9:27 pm

The steak I cooked myself tonight was medium rare to medium.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 6th, 2010, 10:05 am

I grilled a porterhouse last night; Kelly got the filet and I took the strip. Topped with a bleu cheese compound butter served with grilled okra, tomatoes, onions and a summer quinoa salad.

Oh it was rare to medium rare.
sMiles