Gardening

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Gardening

Post by cl15876 » April 27th, 2009, 10:21 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
IamDuke wrote:So far, 18 tom plts, 4 dill, 4 basil, squash, bell peppers, cy pep, jal pep & I forgot what else. We plant about 1/2 a in Efland. Lots of okro & corn. We love it! In Efland, have to use an electric fence to keep out the deer, rabbits & what ever. Oh, I also plant pole beans, Ky Wonder. A little more trouble but worth the work. They are so good.
Mmmmmm, the herbs sound wonderful. I don't know why, but only my sweet basil have come up. For herbs, I planted that, cilantro, sage and something else. I've got all the seeds started in little starter containers, but only the basil wants to cooperate. The potting soil is pretty wet, maybe with herbs, that's a bad thing. Anyone know? All my veggie seeds are happy campers.
The wet soil is not bad as long as direct sun is available to dry out a bit. If shady, just keep moist and possibly use some saran wrap with some tiny holes for air, but that will create a nice green house affect to help the seeds germinate plus keeping moisture inside the container. Slight watering and then the germination process will take over with the wrap over it and tiny pin holes (a few). I'll be starting mine soon, I am a little late getting in the ground, but my thyme and parsley and basil have started coming up. Planted some garlic yesterday with my little man! My kiddos love to help, let alone get dirty! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 27th, 2009, 11:34 pm

CB&B - also remember the papertowel trick when you were starting the ... ahem... seeds from back in the day...., moist not wet, pay attention to the seed instructions (light or no light needed), wrap in damp paper towel, put in air tight bag and then let germination process begin! Once you have the sprouts, plant in your little container and you are set! I've seen your pics of the garden so I can imagine you know what you are doing, maybe just have some bad ... ahem... seeds! be careful! :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 28th, 2009, 7:44 am

cl15876 wrote:CB&B - also remember the papertowel trick when you were starting the ... ahem... seeds from back in the day...., moist not wet, pay attention to the seed instructions (light or no light needed), wrap in damp paper towel, put in air tight bag and then let germination process begin! Once you have the sprouts, plant in your little container and you are set! I've seen your pics of the garden so I can imagine you know what you are doing, maybe just have some bad ... ahem... seeds! be careful! :D
I've thought about the papertowel, and if these don't come up by this weekend, that's what I'll be doing. Ahem.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Well, instead of going with the paper towel method (my wife will throw them out, guaranteed), I bought one of those Jiffy Greenhouses. It uses peat pellets to start the seeds in, and you can buy replacement pellets once you finish the first round. I promised my wife I'd build her an herb greenhouse at some point, so this could be used for a while. I bought the big tray (72 plant capacity) for 6 bucks at Wallyworld.

Oh, these looked like fun for the future, maybe in the fall.

http://www.minigreenhousekits.com/
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 29th, 2009, 8:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well, instead of going with the paper towel method (my wife will throw them out, guaranteed), I bought one of those Jiffy Greenhouses. It uses peat pellets to start the seeds in, and you can buy replacement pellets once you finish the first round. I promised my wife I'd build her an herb greenhouse at some point, so this could be used for a while. I bought the big tray (72 plant capacity) for 6 bucks at Wallyworld.

Oh, these looked like fun for the future, maybe in the fall.

http://www.minigreenhousekits.com/
I saw this yesterday at home depot for $4.98, but it only handled 50 seeds. Ya got a good deal! I thought about getting it, but didn't and went with some starter plants (2"-4-5" tall). Keep us up to date how this works! I like the green house structure!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 3rd, 2009, 4:28 pm

I finally got the garden the way I want it and still have to finish planting the squash and zucchini next weekend..... but below is where she stands now without and with labels.
garden (RS).gif
garden (RS) Labelled.gif
garden (LS).gif
garden (LS) Labelled.gif
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 4th, 2009, 12:17 am

Next weekend is the Arboretum plant sale - so purchasing begins. I typically plant various herbs and tomatoes. I really liked the Jelly Bean tomatoes last year - yellow, grape tomatoes. I think the squirrels get more tomatoes than I do. Someone heard that hanging red Christmas ornaments on the tomato plants before the tomatoes arrive will help keep them away - they try to eat the ornaments and when they can't they don't realize the difference between the ornaments and the tomatoes when they arrive. I hope it works.

I'm trying potatoes this year - growing them in fabric pots. I have 6 varieties to try. This should be interesting.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2009, 8:26 am

DukieInKansas wrote: I'm trying potatoes this year - growing them in fabric pots. I have 6 varieties to try. This should be interesting.
Keep us up to date on the potatoes, I've never thought of doing them in pots. Also, welcome to CrazieTalk!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 4th, 2009, 8:41 am

I planted okra and squash this weekend.

My mom planted tomatoes. I'm thinking of getting her one of those Topsy Turvy tomato planters for Mother's Day.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2009, 8:50 am

My wife bought us one at walmart last weekend. I'm looking for a place to hang it. In a couple weeks I'll have a plant large enough to place in it, I'm looking forward to comparing those tomatoes and the ones I have in the garden.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 4th, 2009, 9:28 am

DukieInKansas wrote: I'm trying potatoes this year - growing them in fabric pots. I have 6 varieties to try. This should be interesting.
Keep us up to date on the potatoes, I've never thought of doing them in pots. Also, welcome to CrazieTalk!
The potatoes should be interesting - 6 varieties are being planted. Since I live in a town home with limited planting space, I'm wondering how much space they will end up using. I may be putting more pots on the patio than space allows but as long as I have a chair to sit in for morning "coffee" on Saturdays and a glass of wine at night I'm good.

Thanks for the welcome.
Life is good!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 11:30 am

cl15876 wrote:I finally got the garden the way I want it and still have to finish planting the squash and zucchini next weekend..... but below is where she stands now without and with labels.
Very cool clnumberguy. Have you ever grown your sweet and hot peppers next to each other before? They self-pollinating and I've heard stories of sweet peppers coming out a tad bit warmer than expected. Do tell when you harvest.
sMiles
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » May 4th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Rabbits!! I read on vinigartips.com, the gardening section, about how to keep rabbits away. Also, is supposed to be good for killing weeds verus a commerical weed killer such as RoundUp. I bought a gal & 1/3 at CostCo for less than 4.00. I'm going to give it a shot. It does't nurt the enviorment. I may have said this already,if so, sorry, I use dishsoap with water in a spray bottle on my veg garden to keep bugs off. I love gardening, so nice to see this bunch of Duke BB fans do too.When I marked the site as a favorite, it came up as: 1001 for white distillled vinigar =:) =:) Hope this helps.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 4th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Miles wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I finally got the garden the way I want it and still have to finish planting the squash and zucchini next weekend..... but below is where she stands now without and with labels.
Very cool clnumberguy. Have you ever grown your sweet and hot peppers next to each other before? They self-pollinating and I've heard stories of sweet peppers coming out a tad bit warmer than expected. Do tell when you harvest.
Thanks! Regarding the peppers, yes, tried to keep enough distance so they wouldn't get frisky with each other, because self-polination only last sooo long from strictly a horticulture perspective. ;) They looks a lot closer in the PICs than they actually are. The sweet cubana's behind the two nuclear Habanero might have a kick, but I like it HOT so a little kick in one of the peppers will be interesting! I appreciate the highlight as alot of folks don't know about that!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Miles wrote: Very cool clnumberguy. Have you ever grown your sweet and hot peppers next to each other before? They self-pollinating and I've heard stories of sweet peppers coming out a tad bit warmer than expected. Do tell when you harvest.
I would assume that the current crop would not be affected, but IF you were to plant any of the seeds from the peppers you harvested, your results would be interesting since they could be hybrids.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Miles wrote: Very cool clnumberguy. Have you ever grown your sweet and hot peppers next to each other before? They self-pollinating and I've heard stories of sweet peppers coming out a tad bit warmer than expected. Do tell when you harvest.
I would assume that the current crop would not be affected, but IF you were to plant any of the seeds from the peppers you harvested, your results would be interesting since they could be hybrids.
Yes, of course the next harvest. I avoided this problem by only growing jalapenos. :D
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2009, 12:30 pm

My cotyledons have poked through!

\:D/
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2009, 12:44 pm

CathyCA wrote:My cotyledons have poked through!

I had to look that up. Congratulations on your babies!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 8th, 2009, 12:51 pm

YOU WERE NOT the ONLY ONE! :D I love being in the PRESENCE of Brilliance!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 8th, 2009, 1:53 pm

I taught second grade for a while. We grew butterbeans. "Cotyledon" was one of our vocabulary words. We would plant the seeds and wait for the cotyledons to push through the soil.

~ James Naismith