Gardening

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Gardening

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 6:55 pm

CathyCA wrote:I bought 15 azalea plants today. They are called "Delaware Valley White."
I've had azalea's on my mind all day due to the Masters. Our neighborhood should be in full bloom in a couple weeks if they are now in Georgia. I love walking around and seeing all the colors. My place is the next tier up from a trailer park; when all the neighbors places are blooming, it looks like the richest place you can live. It's one of my favorite times of the year.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 11th, 2009, 8:23 pm

TillyGalore wrote:cl bunchofnumbers had some great suggestions about planting vegies. Hopefully he can repost it here.

Also, I'm going to start composting. As soon as I buy the compost barrel.

Oh, will be mowing my front yard/patch for the first time this weekend. I love having a garden and yard. :mrgreen:
You should check around with local gardening clubs and/or city services - out here, you can get a free compost barrel from several different sources.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » April 11th, 2009, 8:24 pm

Lavabe wrote:What does it take to grow hops? ;)
A REALLY REALLY tall trellis. Like, 15-20ft. tall.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2009, 8:39 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
That's what I'm curious about. Back when -ahem-, I was younger and learning to be -ahem- a gardener, I was able to creatively play with -ahem- plants that were naturally very tall and -ahem- bushy, and adjust their growth patterns.
It seems to me hops could be trained as long as they have substantial light. I think it would be cool to have them literally ring a garden.
And PS. I don't grow -ahem- anymore. I brew beer. It is much more legal and rewarding :).
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » April 12th, 2009, 6:55 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Someone left a potted geranium and gift card to Lowe's on my front porch last night (I think it was Ima). I'm going to use the gift card to buy plants for the garden in the front of my house. I have direct sunlight all day there, any suggestions as to which plants/flowers I can put there?
Have you decided yet, Tilly? How fun to have a whole new space to decorate with plants & flowers!

I love rhodies and azaleas in the Spring - do you have any already? For flowers, I love hyacinth, and colorful begonias. Iris are also pretty, but your season for those is probably already over?
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 12th, 2009, 7:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:
That's what I'm curious about. Back when -ahem-, I was younger and learning to be -ahem- a gardener, I was able to creatively play with -ahem- plants that were naturally very tall and -ahem- bushy, and adjust their growth patterns.
It seems to me hops could be trained as long as they have substantial light. I think it would be cool to have them literally ring a garden.
And PS. I don't grow -ahem- anymore. I brew beer. It is much more legal and rewarding :).
LMAO!!!!! :lol:
happy_192.gif
happy_192.gif (13.64 KiB) Viewed 528 times
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 12th, 2009, 7:39 pm

I tilled my garden today, started a bunch of seeds, and bought some tomato plants. Here's what I'm planting.

Tomatoes--bigboy, beefsteak, and cherry
Green beans
Zucchini
Squash
Cucumbers - two varieties, one for salads and munching, one for pickling
Green Bell peppers
Banana peppers - sweet
Broccoli
Lettuce - 2 varieties
Basil - sweet
Cilantro
Sage

I'll probably raise the herbs on my deck.
The garden is approximately 20 x 20, it sounds too small for all that stuff, but I have really good success with it. My spacing is much closer than recommended, however I'm able to get by ok with lots of nutrients. Here's 2 photos from last year.
garden08a.jpg
garden08.jpg
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 12th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Chris - Very Nice job!

Hey also noticed the new smiley's... can you use the gifs I've posted also?
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 12th, 2009, 8:31 pm

cl15876 wrote:Chris - Very Nice job!

Hey also noticed the new smiley's... can you use the gifs I've posted also?
Devildeac is gonna love them!
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 13th, 2009, 10:20 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Someone left a potted geranium and gift card to Lowe's on my front porch last night (I think it was Ima). I'm going to use the gift card to buy plants for the garden in the front of my house. I have direct sunlight all day there, any suggestions as to which plants/flowers I can put there?
Have you decided yet, Tilly? How fun to have a whole new space to decorate with plants & flowers!

I love rhodies and azaleas in the Spring - do you have any already? For flowers, I love hyacinth, and colorful begonias. Iris are also pretty, but your season for those is probably already over?
I ended up getting a lot of tools, dirt, and mulch. And, I bought a bag of wildflower seeds. Was going to plant them yesterday, but spent the day cleaning the inside of the house. If it isn't raining when I get home tonight, I'll plant the seeds. I love this whole gardening thing. Woo hoo!!!
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 13th, 2009, 2:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: That's what I'm curious about. Back when -ahem-, I was younger and learning to be -ahem- a gardener, I was able to creatively play with -ahem- plants that were naturally very tall and -ahem- bushy, and adjust their growth patterns.
Bet you can't grow hops in a dorm closet with a grow light. Of course that's what I was told...I've heard certain ~ahem~ plants can be grown that way, I would never ever actual grow anything in a closet myself. ;)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 13th, 2009, 7:18 pm

When the teacher caught little Johnnie as class clown, she asked him to stand and deliver a sentence using the word "horticulture".

His reply.."You can lead a horticulture...but you can't make her swallow". =))

:ympray: Forgive my vulgarity. I could not help myself.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 23rd, 2009, 11:14 am

Yay, my seeds are sprouting. I've tranplated my lettuce into seperate containers, but not into the garden yet. All of my green beans are sprouting, some of my squash, cucumber, zucchinni, and tamatoes are. My basil is sprouting also, but none of my other herbs. If enough are tall enough by Saturday, I'll be playing in the dirt doing some transplanting. Ymmm, fresh veggies!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » April 25th, 2009, 5:25 pm

It's been two weeks since I planted my veggie seeds (carrots, corn (yeah, that's right) turnips and peas in the back of Tilly's yard. A nice little spot, semi-sunny and just an overall good spot.
However now it seems that I am going to have a little competition for the fruits of my labor. My competition in the form of a furry four-legged, cotton tailed joker whom I spotted running away last weekend. My seeds are just breaking the soil (the soil a healthy mix of compost, soil and yep.... cow manure).
I am going to pick up some starter plants probably next weekend and put those in the ground.

Looking forward to some 'mater sammich's, grilled beets and grilled corn and the such by the time Sept rolls around for Tilly's Party!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 5:45 pm

knights68 wrote:Looking forward to some 'mater sammich's, grilled beets and grilled corn and the such by the time Sept rolls around for Tilly's Party!
If yer aim is good, you can have grilled rabbit with it.

knights68

Post by knights68 » April 25th, 2009, 5:52 pm

lol, ah yes! I could catch 'ol boy (or girl) and keep 'em as a pet. I could teach him a trick or two too.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 26th, 2009, 9:08 pm

knights68 wrote:lol, ah yes! I could catch 'ol boy (or girl) and keep 'em as a pet. I could teach him a trick or two too.
I'm hungry for wabbit! :D
Attachments
wallpaper_whats_up_doc1.jpg
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 26th, 2009, 10:43 pm

knights68 wrote:It's been two weeks since I planted my veggie seeds (carrots, corn (yeah, that's right) turnips and peas in the back of Tilly's yard. A nice little spot, semi-sunny and just an overall good spot.
However now it seems that I am going to have a little competition for the fruits of my labor. My competition in the form of a furry four-legged, cotton tailed joker whom I spotted running away last weekend. My seeds are just breaking the soil (the soil a healthy mix of compost, soil and yep.... cow manure).
I am going to pick up some starter plants probably next weekend and put those in the ground.

Looking forward to some 'mater sammich's, grilled beets and grilled corn and the such by the time Sept rolls around for Tilly's Party!
You can get a cheap fence to keep the "wabitts "out. Check Lowes or Home Depot. I also like to use dishsoap and water in a spray bottle to keep bugs off. I started composting a couple of years ago. Its great. Between composting and recycling, We have very little to go to landfills. I was ready to plant my little space in Kenansville, but Mr. Harley had other ideas. I was getting weeds out of the space and he had a great time digging, what looks like the beginning of a fish pond. Took the plants to Efland, Bud planted them yesterday. So far, 18 tom plts, 4 dill, 4 basil, squash, bell peppers, cy pep, jal pep & I forgot what else. We plant about 1/2 a in Efland. Lots of okro & corn. We love it! In Efland, have to use an electric fence to keep out the deer, rabbits & what ever. Oh, I also plant pole beans, Ky Wonder. A little more trouble but worth the work. They are so good.

Good luck to everyone who plants. I'm thinking of the hops. Last year I grew gourds on my chainlink fence in Kenansville. It worked. CB&B, where can I get hops seed to try it? If it works, I'll give them to you.

knight, how do you grill beets? Sounds good. =:) =:) =:) =:) =:)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2009, 10:57 pm

IamDuke wrote:So far, 18 tom plts, 4 dill, 4 basil, squash, bell peppers, cy pep, jal pep & I forgot what else. We plant about 1/2 a in Efland. Lots of okro & corn. We love it! In Efland, have to use an electric fence to keep out the deer, rabbits & what ever. Oh, I also plant pole beans, Ky Wonder. A little more trouble but worth the work. They are so good.
Mmmmmm, the herbs sound wonderful. I don't know why, but only my sweet basil have come up. For herbs, I planted that, cilantro, sage and something else. I've got all the seeds started in little starter containers, but only the basil wants to cooperate. The potting soil is pretty wet, maybe with herbs, that's a bad thing. Anyone know? All my veggie seeds are happy campers.
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 27th, 2009, 9:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
IamDuke wrote:So far, 18 tom plts, 4 dill, 4 basil, squash, bell peppers, cy pep, jal pep & I forgot what else. We plant about 1/2 a in Efland. Lots of okro & corn. We love it! In Efland, have to use an electric fence to keep out the deer, rabbits & what ever. Oh, I also plant pole beans, Ky Wonder. A little more trouble but worth the work. They are so good.
Mmmmmm, the herbs sound wonderful. I don't know why, but only my sweet basil have come up. For herbs, I planted that, cilantro, sage and something else. I've got all the seeds started in little starter containers, but only the basil wants to cooperate. The potting soil is pretty wet, maybe with herbs, that's a bad thing. Anyone know? All my veggie seeds are happy campers.
I cheat on the herbs. I buy the plants. Do you have oregno (sp?)? Mine stayed all winter. Its so pretty. Its a big as a bush. I have 2 rosemay plants & they are really big. Your last year garden was beautiful. I like a small garden. Its so much easier and like yours,very productive.