Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Oddest/weirdest gift

Post by knights68 » May 4th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Just curious...

What was the weirdest, oddest, oddball type gift (any occasion) that you ever got?

I think the oddest I ever got was a pack of dish rags (not to be confused with dish cloths) one year for Christmas from my dad.
Or one year my mom gave me candles. Scented candles (I have anosmia.... a decreased sense of smell) My Parents, in their 'olden' years, are terrible gift givers.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Oddest/weirdest gift

Post by CathyCA » May 4th, 2009, 9:53 pm

The oddest gift is one that ExLax and I got for our wedding. A family gave us a huge box of cleaning supplies: Pledge, HandiWipes, sponges, SOS pads, Comet, scrubbing bubbles, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, soap, toilet paper, dust cloths, Windex, light bulbs, etc. For the entire first year of our marriage, I didn't need to go down the household cleaner aisle at the grocery store because this family had stocked my pantry with everything we would need. We referred to this gift as "the practicality box."

The weirdest gift I got was 3 years ago at Valentine's Day. Exlax gave me a label maker machine. That should have been a clue, but I'm dense sometimes.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 4th, 2009, 10:09 pm

CathyCA wrote:The oddest gift is one that ExLax and I got for our wedding. A family gave us a huge box of cleaning supplies: Pledge, HandiWipes, sponges, SOS pads, Comet, scrubbing bubbles, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, soap, toilet paper, dust cloths, Windex, light bulbs, etc. For the entire first year of our marriage, I didn't need to go down the household cleaner aisle at the grocery store because this family had stocked my pantry with everything we would need. We referred to this gift as "the practicality box."
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I can imagine.... opening the gift, ... what the hell...... reminds of getting a floor standing fan as a wedding gift..... Ummmmm, MY "X" obviously didn't appreciate it and I don't think it was on the registry list, but I have to tell you, that was the best fricking gift! That fan got used more than any registry gift that got stored in the cubbard! It was great! I am easily pleased! but :-$ don't tell anyone!
CathyCA wrote:The weirdest gift I got was 3 years ago at Valentine's Day. Exlax gave me a label maker machine. That should have been a clue, but I'm dense sometimes.
:-o OMG, talk about thinking out of the box! L-) Not you my dear, please forgive me, but couldn't resist!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 4th, 2009, 10:22 pm

cl15876 wrote:=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I can imagine.... opening the gift, ... what the hell...... reminds of getting a floor standing fan as a wedding gift..... Ummmmm, MY "X" obviously didn't appreciate it and I don't think it was on the registry list, but I have to tell you, that was the best fricking gift! That fan got used more than any registry gift that got stored in the cubbard! It was great! I am easily pleased! but :-$ don't tell anyone!
I would love to have one right now. AC is out. grrrrrr.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 4th, 2009, 10:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
cl15876 wrote:=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I can imagine.... opening the gift, ... what the hell...... reminds of getting a floor standing fan as a wedding gift..... Ummmmm, MY "X" obviously didn't appreciate it and I don't think it was on the registry list, but I have to tell you, that was the best fricking gift! That fan got used more than any registry gift that got stored in the cubbard! It was great! I am easily pleased! but :-$ don't tell anyone!
I'd offer it to you, but I think the "X" took it even though she hated it!!!! :ymdevil: Oh well, call ME slow also! O:-)
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » May 4th, 2009, 10:51 pm

My weirdest gift EVER was a gift bag for a bottle of wine. The person who gave it to me said "it was cheaper than a bottle of wine". I cracked up. Thank goodness its someone I know well and understand her humor. :)) :))
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 11:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I am selling my portable A/C on Craigslist. Shipping would be a bitch though.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 11:34 pm

The oddest and weirdest gift I ever got was a John the Baptist Action Figure. My brother got Jesus Christ. I'm still pissed that he got Jesus and all I got was John. wtf mate?
sMiles
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » May 4th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Miles wrote:The oddest and weirdest gift I ever got was a John the Baptist Action Figure. My brother got Jesus Christ. I'm still pissed that he got Jesus and all I got was John. wtf mate?
Thank you. B-)
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Miles wrote:The oddest and weirdest gift I ever got was a John the Baptist Action Figure. My brother got Jesus Christ. I'm still pissed that he got Jesus and all I got was John. wtf mate?
Thank you. B-)
Just doing my part.
sMiles
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » May 4th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Miles wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
Thank you. B-)
Just doing my part.
Alf rocks. Chef Alf totally rocks. (*) (*) (*) \m/ \m/ \m/
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 4th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Sue71 wrote:Alf rocks. Chef Alf totally rocks. (*) (*) (*) \m/ \m/ \m/
True dat!
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 7:42 am

Hey, John baptized God. Not too many people can say that. Plus, he "prepared" the road for Christ, which is pretty cool. Are you the older brother? Cause if so, it would kind of make sense in that light.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 5th, 2009, 7:43 am

The weirdest/most uncomfortable gift I ever got was from my father-in-law, who has a very weird sense of humor. After we had our third kid, he gave me a condom. One. Like THAT'S really gonna help in the long run. So he's weird AND cheap!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » May 5th, 2009, 12:49 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Hey, John baptized God. Not too many people can say that. Plus, he "prepared" the road for Christ, which is pretty cool. Are you the older brother? Cause if so, it would kind of make sense in that light.

%%-
Nope, I'm the younger.
sMiles