Condolences to DukePA

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Condolences to DukePA

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 25th, 2009, 3:04 pm

The doctor for which DukePA has been working died last Sunday after a long illness. While it wasn't unexpected in the long run, the quick timing certainly was. I understand the funeral was yesterday.

Heartfelt condolences to DukePA, and the doctor's wife and two kids.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Condolences to DukePA

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Oh Donna, this is news to me. So sorry for your loss, I know he was much more than your boss to you. Vibes and love, Chris
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 25th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Thank you so much for the support you give to my daughter. No, it is not easy. Chris was such a great person with a wonderful family. DukePA took them under her wing, yes she is an angel. DukePa will be fine, but this has been heartbreaken. God love all of you on crazietalk.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 25th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Donna, I am so sorry to hear this. Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 25th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Thank you. Your kindness and support mean so much. I wish you all had had to opportunity to know Chris. He was a phenominal person. He accomplished more in his 45 years of life than most have done by their 80's. Chris grew up in an orphanage and even spent some time on the streets as a teen. He joined joined the Navy, then went on to graduate from Wake Tech Community College. He worked for Data General for a few years and obtained a BS in Biochemistry from NC State while working full time. He went to medical school at Wake Forest. He was going to become a trauma surgeon until his brother was diagnosed with brain cancer. That's when Chris decided to go into Radiation Oncology. He practiced in New Bern for 10 years as a Radiation Oncologist and maintained board certification in Emergency Medicine as well. He hugged his patients and was incredibly generous. When his patients with head and neck cancer had to see an oral surgeon before radiation and couldn't afford to do so, Chris would call an oral surgeon and arrange to pay the bill. He would pop back into the exam room and tell the patient that it was taken care of and not too worry. He never told them he paid.

Chris was like a brother to me. In case you guys haven't noticed, we Sheltons love to adopt everyone :D I'm going to stick close to his wife and daughters. We'll get through this and find lots of great ways to honor Chris.

Hugs to my Crazie family,
Donna
Last edited by DukePA on April 25th, 2009, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 25th, 2009, 5:56 pm

DukePA,

My condolences to you on your loss. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Cheryl (ArkieDukie)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 25th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Donna,
I am so sorry for your loss. Through our conversations I knew you loved Chris for the person he was. You and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Honor
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 25th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Donna,
All my best to you, and to everyone who knew him.

But most of all, thanks for sharing a little bit about him.
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 25th, 2009, 10:07 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss, and that of his family. All our thoughts and prayers will be with you and the rest.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2009, 7:20 am

DukePA wrote:Thank you. Your kindness and support mean so much. I wish you all had had to opportunity to know Chris. He was a phenominal person. He accomplished more in his 45 years of life than most have done by their 80's. Chris grew up in an orphanage and even spent some time on the streets as a teen. He joined joined the Navy, then went on to graduate from Wake Tech Community College. He worked for Data General for a few years and obtained a BS in Biochemistry from NC State while working full time. He went to medical school at Wake Forest. He was going to become a trauma surgeon until his brother was diagnosed with brain cancer. That's when Chris decided to go into Radiation Oncology. He practiced in New Bern for 10 years as a Radiation Oncologist and maintained board certification in Emergency Medicine as well. He hugged his patients and was incredibly generous. When his patients with head and neck cancer had to see an oral surgeon before radiation and couldn't afford to do so, Chris would call an oral surgeon and arrange to pay the bill. He would pop back into the exam room and tell the patient that it was taken care of and not too worry. He never told them he paid.

Chris was like a brother to me. In case you guys haven't noticed, we Sheltons love to adopt everyone :D I'm going to stick close to his wife and daughters. We'll get through this and find lots of great ways to honor Chris.

Hugs to my Crazie family,
Donna
Great story.

He will be missed and sounds like a wonderful physician. Sometimes there is a LOT more that transpires with the healing of a patient than pharmacology and technology. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 26th, 2009, 10:46 am

Donna - I will be keeping you, Chris and his family in my thoughts and prayers. Your tribute and synopsis of his legacy was awesome and is extremely honoring.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » April 26th, 2009, 11:42 am

Wow. Wish I had known him. Condolences to you and Chris's family.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » April 26th, 2009, 12:50 pm

I know we've spoken recently, but again, heartfelt condolences.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 28th, 2009, 6:02 am

I'm late to the list but put me on it. Donna, I'm very sorry to hear of your grief. It sounds that he was a gentleman of the highest order and will sorely be missed.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles

Post by Miles » April 28th, 2009, 4:22 pm

Hi Donna,
Big hugs and my most sincere condolences from San Diego.
sMiles
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 28th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Donna,

I'm just getting news of this. I join the others in sending my thoughts and prayers to you and to the doctor's family and friends.

I'm very sorry to hear this, but feel free to call or e-mail if you need to talk.

Best,

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.