1st painting from the spring game done!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

1st painting from the spring game done!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Took a while longer than I expected, but I'm happy with it. Time to move on to painting #2!

Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: 1st painting from the spring game done!

Post by TillyGalore » April 25th, 2009, 2:28 pm

CB&B, you did an awesome job!!! Are you going to send Kevin White a picture of the painting?
I worship the Blue Devil!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 2:34 pm

TillyGalore wrote:CB&B, you did an awesome job!!! Are you going to send Kevin White a picture of the painting?
Thanks for the complement. I didn't send him one, but I sent one to Gerald Harrison, the asstistant AD. I had emailed Kevin White when nobody else had answered any requests, and Gerald was the one who wrote back and got the ball rolling for me. Hopefully he'll share it with the rest of his office. I also sent one to Art Chase, the sports info guy who ultimately got me down on the field. It's great to finally be able to see all the time and effort I've put into this as an actual finished painting.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 25th, 2009, 3:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Took a while longer than I expected, but I'm happy with it. Time to move on to painting #2!

Absolutely fabulous! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 25th, 2009, 3:02 pm

WOW! I love it, Chris!

I especially love the way you paint the shadows.

I think that Duke should use your painting for the cover of the next football media guide.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 25th, 2009, 3:07 pm

The picture you posted on the BTSNBN shows a lot more of the ball carrier and his tacklers (another inch or two to the right. Can you edit or repost the full picture here?

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2009, 3:11 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:The picture you posted on the BTSNBN shows a lot more of the ball carrier and his tacklers (another inch or two to the right. Can you edit or repost the full picture here?
Interesting, when you squish the page here, it doesn't give any scroll option, it just chops the picture. Thanks for noticing. Here is a smaller version. The actual size is 30" X 17"
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 25th, 2009, 4:11 pm

I especitecd really great, but not this great. Chirs, you out did yourself!!!
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 25th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Hohum, I think I have gone back to my child days with my typing/spelling. Please forgive. :D :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 25th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Very nice job! It will be interesting to see what kind of response you get from the Duke athletic dept.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 25th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Sorry to "borrow this" from TBTSHBN, but since not everyone would see it there, I copy it here.
Devil in the Blue Dress;289041 wrote:I'm so impressed! What are you going to paint next in the football series? Will you be doing one that features Coach Cutcliffe? Can't to see what comes next!
CameronBornAndBred;289045 wrote:Thank you and I don't know, but it will be under way shortly. I did get two really good shots of the coach, which I might do at some point. This series is as much about the action as it is that it's about Duke, and Cut standing there isn't very active..
However, I have been eyeing them as the excellent portraits they could turn out to be.
Could you overlay two pictures, such that Coach Cutcliffe is standing on the sideline watching the action in front of him? Make him "full height" while the action is the middle 50% height, so you see his head and shoulders and lower legs above and below the action. Just a suggestion!

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2009, 9:54 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Could you overlay two pictures, such that Coach Cutcliffe is standing on the sideline watching the action in front of him? Make him "full height" while the action is the middle 50% height, so you see his head and shoulders and lower legs above and below the action. Just a suggestion!
I know the type of painting you are talking about, and have thought of doing similar in the past, but have been reluctant. As images, they tend to come across to me as more promotional pieces than actual paintings. I would hope I'd be able to capture who Cutcliffe (or anyone for that matter) is and what he's about by what I've done with the portrait itself, without having to rely on extraneous imagery to convey the personality of the subject. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. (Unless it's a commission, then I'll paint whatever the hell they want. $-) )
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 26th, 2009, 10:36 am

Chris, Fabulous job!!!