The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 20th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:So glad this thread is stickied. I was always having to look for it. I consult it frequently. By the way, how's that cookbook coming along?
Love, Ima
The recipes are already there...the illustrations are the work in progress. :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 27th, 2011, 3:33 pm

wilson's Ham & Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
-1 lb. (give or take) country ham (or regular ham or canadian bacon or regular bacon), cut into bite-sized pieces
-2 cans (about 2 lbs.) corn kernels
-1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, minced
-1-2 tbsp olive oil
-6 cups chicken stock
-2 cups heavy cream (or low-fat buttermilk if you wish to cut the fat)
-1.5 lbs (give or take) potatoes, diced
-1.5 lbs (give or take) collard, mustard, or other greens (that's right, devildeac...you're not invited! :p )
-1 tbsp garlic, minced
-1 tbsp dried thyme flakes, or one sprig fresh
-1 tbsp dried tarragon, or one sprig fresh

Heat oil in a Dutch oven and add tarragon, thyme, and garlic, then onion. Simmer until onion begins to brown. Then add meat. After another couple of minutes (after fat from meat begins to render), add 1/2 of the greens and one can corn (liquid included). Cover pot and saute on medium heat, until greens begin to wilt and fat renders further, 10-15 minutes. Add 4 cups of stock, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and after a couple of minutes of rolling boil, add remainder of greens and second can of corn. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook another 15-20 minutes, until you get a good, thick pot likker. Add remaining stock and potatoes and cook over gentle medium heat, until mixture begins to thicken again...aim for 20-30 minutes cooking time. Add cream and simmer until the whole thing thickens to chowder consistency. This is one of those dishes where the more time you have and the longer you can make it sit on the stove, the richer your flavor will be.

Be sure to stir periodically, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of your pot, as the cream can scorch rather quickly. Those browned bits are not cause for any alarm; they merely add flavor to your pot.

Serve with corn bread or homemade biscuits. Delicious.

I always find that soup does best if you make a giant pot, but these proportions could easily be halved. This soup freezes OK, but the cream presents a bit of a challenge. It will keep in the fridge for at least a week or so.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 28th, 2011, 8:50 am

wilson wrote:wilson's Ham & Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
-1 lb. (give or take) country ham (or regular ham or canadian bacon or regular bacon), cut into bite-sized pieces
-2 cans (about 2 lbs.) corn kernels
-1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, minced
-1-2 tbsp olive oil
-6 cups chicken stock
-2 cups heavy cream (or low-fat buttermilk if you wish to cut the fat)
-1.5 lbs (give or take) potatoes, diced
-1.5 lbs (give or take) collard, mustard, or other greens (that's right, devildeac...you're not invited! :p )
-1 tbsp garlic, minced
-1 tbsp dried thyme flakes, or one sprig fresh
-1 tbsp dried tarragon, or one sprig fresh

Heat oil in a Dutch oven and add tarragon, thyme, and garlic, then onion. Simmer until onion begins to brown. Then add meat. After another couple of minutes (after fat from meat begins to render), add 1/2 of the greens and one can corn (liquid included). Cover pot and saute on medium heat, until greens begin to wilt and fat renders further, 10-15 minutes. Add 4 cups of stock, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and after a couple of minutes of rolling boil, add remainder of greens and second can of corn. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook another 15-20 minutes, until you get a good, thick pot likker. Add remaining stock and potatoes and cook over gentle medium heat, until mixture begins to thicken again...aim for 20-30 minutes cooking time. Add cream and simmer until the whole thing thickens to chowder consistency. This is one of those dishes where the more time you have and the longer you can make it sit on the stove, the richer your flavor will be.

Be sure to stir periodically, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of your pot, as the cream can scorch rather quickly. Those browned bits are not cause for any alarm; they merely add flavor to your pot.

Serve with corn bread or homemade biscuits. Delicious.

I always find that soup does best if you make a giant pot, but these proportions could easily be halved. This soup freezes OK, but the cream presents a bit of a challenge. It will keep in the fridge for at least a week or so.
That looks mighty tasty Wilson!
You should throw in a smoked ham hock. =p~
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 8th, 2011, 6:31 pm

After dinner, fresh chilies are going into the oven to dry over very low heat overnight. In the morning, I'll grind and blend them to make my secret chili powder blend.
Chili from scratch is slated for next Tuesday.
I'm really interested to see how this chili powder turns out. I've done a fair amount of reading about it, but I've never tried this before, so I'm sort of working blind. I am hoping, however, that it will produce richer flavors in my chili. At that point, I might be just about ready to sell the stuff. ;) =p~
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 9th, 2011, 8:46 am

GO TO HELL, carolina, GO TO HELL!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2011, 9:37 pm

My chili powder came out the other day with wonderful, rich flavor, but it's hotter than shit. That's fine with me, but not most other people, so tomorrow, I'm drying another batch of peppers, this time all mild poblanos, to moderate the heat some.
Chili from scratch on Tuesday, then ribs on my new smoker on Wednesday for Duke-UVA. Can't wait!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 13th, 2011, 9:47 pm

wilson wrote:My chili powder came out the other day with wonderful, rich flavor, but it's hotter than shit. That's fine with me, but not most other people, so tomorrow, I'm drying another batch of peppers, this time all mild poblanos, to moderate the heat some.
Chili from scratch on Tuesday, then ribs on my new smoker on Wednesday for Duke-UVA. Can't wait!
What smoker did you get?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 13th, 2011, 9:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:Chili from scratch on Tuesday, then ribs on my new smoker on Wednesday for Duke-UVA. Can't wait!
What smoker did you get?
It's a Brinkmann, with an exterior temp gauge and two racks inside, so it's got a pretty large capacity. My brother gave it to me for Christmas. Wednesday is the virgin voyage, because trying to do it the first time in frigid weather seemed not to be the best plan.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 13th, 2011, 9:57 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:Chili from scratch on Tuesday, then ribs on my new smoker on Wednesday for Duke-UVA. Can't wait!
What smoker did you get?
It's a Brinkmann, with an exterior temp gauge and two racks inside, so it's got a pretty large capacity. My brother gave it to me for Christmas. Wednesday is the virgin voyage, because trying to do it the first time in frigid weather seemed not to be the best plan.
I have two Brinkmann's. They are far from perfect..but once you get used to them, you can get great results. I bring both of mine to brunchgates.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » February 14th, 2011, 10:09 pm

wilson wrote:
What smoker did you get?
Charcoal or electric? I have a charcoal Brinkmann, and while I love the flavor of smoking over a real wood fire, it can be a bitch to learn how to keep that fire going at the right temp for 8+ hrs to smoke a whole Boston butt.
-- DukeUsul
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 14th, 2011, 11:24 pm

I made wilson's pulled pork this weekend! :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 5th, 2011, 10:15 am

:9f:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 5th, 2011, 10:42 pm

I despise them.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 10th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Peruvian Chili-Lime Chicken for dinner tonight, a recipe from the latest Cook's Illustrated. Smells terrific, and I can kind of already tell I'm going to love it.
Salad with homemade cilantro-tomato vinaigrette.
White rice.
White wine.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » March 10th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Sounds good Wilson. I'm going with Giada DeLaurentiis' basil pesto. Penne rigate. Grilled chicken (marinated in a lemon/wine vinegar/garlicky mix).
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 10th, 2011, 8:27 pm

wilson wrote:Peruvian Chili-Lime Chicken for dinner tonight, a recipe from the latest Cook's Illustrated.
Holy shit. Sofuckingdelicious. I'm going to adapt the chili paste to other applications, such as pork shoulders for the purposes of making carnitas/tacos/enchiladas.
This is one of my favorite new recipes I've discovered in a long, long time.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re:Shortcake

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 20th, 2011, 12:06 pm

As per lawgrad's request over on the "What's for dinner ?" thread, here's the recipe I use for short cake.

2 Cups flour
1/2 t. table salt
1 T. Baking powder
3T sugar
1 Stick butter, frozen
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 Cup half 'n half
1 egg white
1 T half 'n half
1T sugar for sprinkling

All dry ingredients into food processor. Pulse a few times just to mix. Drop in chunks of frozen butter the size of a half tablespoon. Process until the mixture is the consistency of course meal. A few pea sized pieces of butter can remain.* Transfer to bowl.

Combine the whole egg and the half n half and add to the flour mixture. Combine with spatula.
Turn out on lightly floured board and gently knead and shape into a 9"X6" rectangle. Cut 6 rounds with a 2 3/4" cutter. Or sometimes I just cut it into six squares.

Place 1" apart on a small baking sheet.

Combine the egg white and the 1 T of half n half. Brush tops. Sprinkle tops with the T of sugar.
Bake at 425 for 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream and berries.

*Note: If you opt out of the food processor for working in the butter, it's easiest to grate the butter first using the large side holes on a box grater. Then work it in with your fingers.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 20th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Ima, you rock! :ymhug: ^:)^

Whenever it's berry season in Belews Creek, I'm gonna try this!
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 23rd, 2011, 12:58 pm

wilson's Orgasmic Mac & Cheese

Ingredients
18-20 oz. of macaroni (a whole standard box & about a quarter of a second)
22-24 oz. cheese (yes, really that much)...cheddar, jack, or a mixture (I prefer a blend of sharp, mild, and white cheddar, plus a bit of Colby and/or Monterey Jack)
1 pint heavy cream
2-3 oz. whole milk
bread crumbs

Boil your macaroni according to directions, and drain. Return noodles to warm pot, over low heat, and stir in 1/3 of your cheese, grated, plus the whole milk. Continue stirring until the cheese is evenly melted in with your noodles. Transfer 1/2 of cheesy noodle mixture to large casserole dish (be sure to spray the bottom!). Top with another 1/3 of your grated cheese, plus about 1/3 of your heavy cream. Layer the rest of the noodles on top, followed by the rest of your cheese and then the rest of your cream. Top with bread crumbs.
Bake at 350, covered, for 20-25 minutes, then uncover and bake for about 15 minutes more.

Makes about 10 servings.
This is not health food.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2011, 7:48 am

wilson wrote:wilson's Orgasmic Mac & Cheese

Ingredients
18-20 oz. of macaroni (a whole standard box & about a quarter of a second)
22-24 oz. cheese (yes, really that much)...cheddar, jack, or a mixture (I prefer a blend of sharp, mild, and white cheddar, plus a bit of Colby and/or Monterey Jack)
1 pint heavy cream
2-3 oz. whole milk
bread crumbs

Boil your macaroni according to directions, and drain. Return noodles to warm pot, over low heat, and stir in 1/3 of your cheese, grated, plus the whole milk. Continue stirring until the cheese is evenly melted in with your noodles. Transfer 1/2 of cheesy noodle mixture to large casserole dish (be sure to spray the bottom!). Top with another 1/3 of your grated cheese, plus about 1/3 of your heavy cream. Layer the rest of the noodles on top, followed by the rest of your cheese and then the rest of your cream. Top with bread crumbs.
Bake at 350, covered, for 20-25 minutes, then uncover and bake for about 15 minutes more.

Makes about 10 servings.
This is not health food.

:auto-ambulance:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.