RIP Pat Tillman

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

RIP Pat Tillman

Post by Ben63 » April 22nd, 2009, 8:32 pm

On this day, 5 years ago, US Ranger Pat Tillman was killed by friendly fire while serving his (and our) country in Afghanistan. This is just a small tribute to a great man.

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: RIP Pat Tillman

Post by YmoBeThere » April 22nd, 2009, 9:58 pm

I didn't realize he had such long hair during his NFL days.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » April 22nd, 2009, 10:01 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I didn't realize he had such long hair during his NFL days.
Most of the other pictures I've seen show him with short hair. I don't know what year that particular picture was taken but it is my all time favorite of Pat.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 22nd, 2009, 10:35 pm

Pat grew up in the neighborhood adjacent to mine in San Jose. He really was one of the good guys. He came from a good family, was a standout athlete at Leland High School, and did very well at ASU, graduating in 3-1/2 years, IIRC.

His family sponsors "Pat's Run" through the Almaden Valley every year, a benefit for leadership scholarships at ASU. Even in their loss, they strive to give opportunities to others in Pat's name.

I don't want to go to PPB here, but what a loss.

If you ever go to the Hoover Dam, a side trip from Las Vegas, the new bypass bridge is named in memory of Pat Tillman. It's an incredible monument to an incredible man who died way too young for what turned out to be all the wrong reasons.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Shammrog » April 23rd, 2009, 6:15 am

I am still in awe over Pat Tillman. Regardless of your politics, I don't know how you can fail to be amazed by someone who would give up what he did for the opportunity to serve his country in battle. A true hero in every sense of the word.
IamDuke
PW in training
PW in training

Post by IamDuke » April 23rd, 2009, 8:29 am

Shammrog wrote:I am still in awe over Pat Tillman. Regardless of your politics, I don't know how you can fail to be amazed by someone who would give up what he did for the opportunity to serve his country in battle. A true hero in every sense of the word.
I agree. I was a Navy brat and married Navy, also have lots of members of my family who retired from the military or were members (as our daughter, DukePA) of the military. Its a special way of like I will always appreciate having been a part for the first 28 years of my life. So many past and present members of our military are very special people. God bless & protect them all.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 23rd, 2009, 1:37 pm

Ben, thank you for the reminder of what today is. Mr. Tillman is a hero in every sense of the word, but most especially in selflessness. Thank you, Mr. Tillman, for your service to our great nation. RIP
I worship the Blue Devil!