Gardening

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Gardening

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 17th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Looks good CB&B. I have had good luck with potted veggies. They needs to be watered everyday. The larger the pot, the better. Only 2 of my green zebra tomato seeds have come up. They will be late tomatoes. The same with my black tomatoes. We don't have much in the ground yet. Just some cabbage plants. Bud needs to slow down and put the plants I have started from seed in the ground. I have some squash plants you can have when you come by this weekend. I have way too many.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2012, 8:18 am

I love those sweet peppers you buy in bags/boxes at the store. They are great for roasting on the grill, stuffed with cream cheese.

Last time I made them, as I was cleaning out the seeds, I thought "I bet it would be fun to see if these would germinate". I wrapped about 20 seeds in a moist paper towel, stuck it in a sandwich baggie and stuck that in a drawer. Every one of those things sprouted so now I've got sweet peppers added to my garden; I transplanted the seedlings to dirt yesterday.
During the 4 days that I was gone to Kings Mountain, my other veggies blew up. My grape tomatoes grew easily over 18" (they are now about 4' high), and my jalapenos now have a bajillion blooms on them with a couple green peppers already in the works. My patio tomatoes went from having 2 visible tomatoes to about 15 per plant, and some of those have gotten pretty big. I'm having a blast with the pots, and they seem to be working well so far. I supplement the soil once a week with miracle-gro, using one of those sprayers you attach to your hose.

Here's one of my patio tomatoes (goliath). When I left there were only two little 'maters on the vine.
tomatoes.jpg
Anyways, having fun with the garden, it's so fun to go home to at the end of the day.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 25th, 2012, 9:28 am

I now have 6 green zebra tomato plants. I'm happy. The tomatillos that I planted from the 1 tomatillo I bought, cut up and separated are doing great. I'm hoping it will be dry enough soon to get them in ground. I have decided to try growing pinto beans. I'll use the seed from the dried pintos I bought (to eat) for the seed. I have had fresh ones before and they are wonderful.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 25th, 2012, 10:25 am

Very Duke Blue wrote: I have decided to try growing pinto beans. I'll use the seed from the dried pintos I bought (to eat) for the seed. I have had fresh ones before and they are wonderful.
Oooh...I've never thought about, what a great idea. Do you know how they grow? Are they bushes or runners?
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » April 25th, 2012, 9:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote: I have decided to try growing pinto beans. I'll use the seed from the dried pintos I bought (to eat) for the seed. I have had fresh ones before and they are wonderful.
Oooh...I've never thought about, what a great idea. Do you know how they grow? Are they bushes or runners?
Sprouting beans was a little project in my daughter's magazine so we sprouted 3 pintos by putting them in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag. Once that worked we planted them in a little 5 inch pot. She got a huge kick out of watching them pop out of the ground. Now they are about 2 feet tall. I'm pretty sure pintos are a pole bean because without the window (was on a window ledge) the runners would all droop.

Today I transplanted the 3 plants into a container by the front door because that's where we get sunlight. The backyard is rather shady. I used 3 dowels to create a tepee for the runners, but my neighbor was getting rid of a trellis so if they get that big maybe I can scoot that container next to the trellis.

So we'll see how it goes. I have a very black black thumb, but she and I are having fun.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 25th, 2012, 10:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I've only seen them once a long time ago. If I remember right, they might be 1/2 runners. I put some seeds in water to try & jump start them.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 26th, 2012, 10:54 am

Now I gotta try pintos, too. Thanks to both for the tips!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 26th, 2012, 2:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Now I gotta try pintos, too. Thanks to both for the tips!
Your welcome. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 26th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Thanks bluebutton. I can trellis them if they need to be.