MLB 2011

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: MLB 2011

Post by CathyCA » April 17th, 2011, 11:38 pm

wilson wrote:This was not the first time I've gotten such correspondence. I pretty routinely get messages to the effect of, "I know you're at the game because I can hear you on TV." I rather pride myself on my loud voice. I always forewarn people when they come to the game with me for the first time, and they are always taken aback even after said warning.
However, my throat is a bit displeased with me today. My upper register did not exactly sound the best during the hymns in church today.
Did you all sing "All GORY Laud and Honor?"

If so, a scratchy voice would have been appropriate.

I suppose "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" would also be appropriate for a dysfunctional upper register.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 19th, 2011, 11:05 am

What an idiot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6384863

I guess a guy making $425K/year doesn't get a court appointed attorney, although he allegedly can't afford $60 worth of T-shirts from Macy's. L-)
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2011, 11:10 am

lawgrad91 wrote:What an idiot.

I guess a guy making $425K/year doesn't get a court appointed attorney, although he allegedly can't afford $60 worth of T-shirts from Macy's. L-)
He doesn't need an attorney as much as he needs a shrink. http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/wh ... tudies.htm

Actually, he needs to hire an attorney who can get him to a shrink.

He also needs an attorney who can get him on a diversionary program. Madam D.A., how many hours of community service would you let my client do in order to get a dismissal since he is (hopefully?!!) a first-time offender?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » April 19th, 2011, 1:40 pm

The 2011 Atlanta Braves are influencing me to scratch out my eye balls.

0-8 when trailing in a game.

0-25 on pinch hitting.

0-Season (don't have exact number) from ninth spot in batting line-up.

It's early, I know, but Damn. Just Damn.

-EarlJam

P.S. Meanwhile, after a 6-0 start, the O's have had pennent fever hopes dashed by promptly going 0-8 in the last week+. Way to go O's!
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 19th, 2011, 2:32 pm

CathyCA wrote:

He doesn't need an attorney as much as he needs a shrink. http://www.shopliftingprevention.org/wh ... tudies.htm

He also needs an attorney who can get him on a diversionary program. Madam D.A., how many hours of community service would you let my client do in order to get a dismissal since he is (hopefully?!!) a first-time offender?

He's lucky he didn't do this in Virginia. Except for very limited charges (drug possession, domestic assault), adults don't get first offender. They get acquitted or they get convicted.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2011, 6:27 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

He's lucky he didn't do this in Virginia. Except for very limited charges (drug possession, domestic assault), adults don't get first offender. They get acquitted or they get convicted.
Yikes! I have a tale I'll tell you sometime about an character who went on a diversionary program in North Carolina.

Remind me when we see each other.

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 20th, 2011, 10:00 am

EarlJam wrote:The 2011 Atlanta Braves are influencing me to scratch out my eye balls.

0-25 on pinch hitting.

-EarlJam

P.S. Meanwhile, after a 6-0 start, the O's have had pennent fever hopes dashed by promptly going 0-8 in the last week+. Way to go O's!
Weird, but oh so cathartic finish to the Braves game last night. 8 hits and 8 runs in the 9th to break open a nip-tuck pitchers' duel and win 10-1. Beachy pitched very well, and the boys got off the pinch-hitting schneid (and all the other hitting schneids for that matter). Here's hoping that was the jump-start.
8-10 and only 3 back. Everything is fine.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 20th, 2011, 10:31 am

wilson wrote:
EarlJam wrote:The 2011 Atlanta Braves are influencing me to scratch out my eye balls.

0-25 on pinch hitting.

-EarlJam

Weird, but oh so cathartic finish to the Braves game last night. 8 hits and 8 runs in the 9th to break open a nip-tuck pitchers' duel and win 10-1. Beachy pitched very well, and the boys got off the pinch-hitting schneid (and all the other hitting schneids for that matter). Here's hoping that was the jump-start.
8-10 and only 3 back. Everything is fine.
Agreed. As long as the pitching holds, I feel good about the Braves. I know the bats will come around. Not all that odd for the bats to be a little sluggish in April.

Who was that middle relief pitcher the Braves brought in last night? He SUCKED!

Anyway, I like tuna fish.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » April 20th, 2011, 7:04 pm

My three fantasy teams all stink...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 26th, 2011, 1:12 am

West coast games and extra innings are a truly terrible mix.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 7th, 2011, 11:08 am

Great win for the Atlanta Braves last night. Even on a night when Cliff Lee was positively dealing (16 Ks!), the Braves put together a great all-around performance, including 6+ innings of no-hit pitching from Derek Lowe and a resounding 5-0 win. That makes 11 wins in 14 games for the Bravos, who look to be catching fire. Tonight's game is pivotal, as it will help determine whether the Braves make up cumulative ground on the Fillies in this series.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 7th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Lowe trying to make up for his DUI arrest?
Bob Green

Re: MLB 2011 (Mariners Report)

Post by Bob Green » May 7th, 2011, 1:51 pm

King Felix improved to 4-2 with another complete game last night as the Seattle Mariners defeated the White Sox's 3-2. The Mariners started the season looking like ass but have won eight of their last ten games to improve to 16-17.

Volatile Milton Bradley was thrown out of the game for arguing called strikes. He was thrown out of an game (and suspended one game) earlier in the week.

This is great...I can annoy you guys all summer with Mariners talk. \:d/
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » May 7th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I last saw a Mariners game when ARod and Junior were on the team. :)
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 16th, 2011, 10:11 pm

The Mariners are 16-23 now as they've dropped six straight games since I first posted in this thread. They were rained out in Cleveland on both Saturday and Sunday or things could be worse. The first pitch is about four minutes away in tonight's game against the Twins. Michael Pineda (4-2) is on the mound for the M's so hopefully they can stop the bleeding.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 16th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Another great night in my favorite place with some of my favorite people. With the Fillies' loss this evening, the Braves are now only 2.5 games back. Weekday day game tomorrow...one of my greatest guilty pleasures.
:chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief: :chief:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 17th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Seattle M's won last night with Michael Pineda improving to 5-2. They have a legitimate opportunity to make it two in a row as King Felix (4-3) takes the mound tonight. Hopefully the offense provides some run support so the reigning AL Cy Young winner can notch win number five. The M's have a great one-two punch in Hernandez and Pineda so I expect they can build around these two players. Young 1st baseman Justin Smoak is impressive and center-fielder Franklin Gutierrez, who has been out all year so far, is rehabbing in Triple A (Tacoma Rainers). Gutierrez' return will help Seattle's anemic offense. Rumors state the M's will be calling up 2nd baseman Dustin Ackley soon. Ackley is from Winston-Salem.

I know - much more Seattle Mariners info than anyone is interested in.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 17th, 2011, 9:29 pm

The Braves had a hell of a win today. Down to their last strike and trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the 9th, they got a game-tying home run from Brian McCann, who was in as a pinch hitter. Then, in the 11th, McCann came up and hit another homer, sending the Braves to a 3-1 walkoff win.
I enjoyed the game from lovely left field with the esteemed Earl O' the Jammeth. Fun was had by all.
:chief:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 17th, 2011, 9:41 pm

The Orioles can't lose tonight! Mother Nature won instead!

Last night they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, which would have catapulted them over the Red Sox and to .500. They are MUCH improved from last year (19-21; last year they'd lost 47 before they managed to wind 19).

I found out at my reunion that one of my law school classmates' law firms has a box with available tickets, provided they aren't playing the Yankees or the Red Sox. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 24th, 2011, 3:05 pm

The Mariners won their sixth straight game last night by defeating the Twins 8-7 in 10 innings. The M's strength has been starting pitching but last night starter Jason Vargas was pulled in the fifth inning as the Twins were smacking him around. The bull pen held on and the offense ignited late to secure the win in a back and forth affair. The M's jumped out to a 4-1 lead, then fell behind 7-4 before scoring four runs in the 8th, 9th and 10th innings to win.